HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Just throwing this out there FWIW

Noob=Ignorant and unwilling to learn
    Newb=Uneducated but willing to learn

One is derogatory, the other is not.

OP is clearly the latter (willing to learn). Internet lingo is strange and connotation is everything. Such terms IMO should be used with care as you can easily offend without intent.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

Re: Kammok - Where is the love?

I think both are derogatory if imposed on someone else.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    I think both are derogatory if imposed on someone else.
    And I think you've derailed this thread enough.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    Dragging it back on track.

As someone who has never seen a Kammock in person, just how different is their touted 'lunarweave' ripstop from traditional ripstop? Does the unique crosshatching actually alter the fabric in any meaningful way?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

As someone who has never seen a Kammock in person, just how different is their touted 'lunarweave' ripstop from traditional ripstop? Does the unique crosshatching actually alter the fabric in any meaningful way?
    It is rated for 500 pounds and it is supposedly tested at 900 pounds, so there has to be something to it. It feels pretty good against the skin as well. The guys that work there seem to be good folks too. I think that I read that they had plans for a lightweight hammock in the future. I would be curious about that one. From my experience, the Kammock materials and construction are top notch. It is built to last more than be lightweight. It's all according to what you want I guess. I have a roo, biners, python straps and the racer slings by the way. I did not buy it. It is a nice setup, but it is just not my thing. I would say that Kammock has one of the highest build qualities for the foreign made hammock companies. I mainly use it for a loaner and for demo purposes, or hanging in my yard.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    It is rated for 500 pounds and it is supposedly tested at 900 pounds, so there has to be something to it. It feels pretty good against the skin as well. The guys that work there seem to be good folks too. I think that I read that they had plans for a lightweight hammock in the future. I would be curious about that one. From my experience, the Kammock materials and construction are top notch. It is built to last more than be lightweight. It's all according to what you want I guess. I have a roo, biners, python straps and the racer slings by the way. I did not buy it. It is a nice setup, but it is just not my thing. I would say that Kammock has one of the highest build qualities for the foreign made hammock companies. I mainly use it for a loaner and for demo purposes, or hanging in my yard.

Nice to know, and seems to be a fair description, from an actual user.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    From all the things I've read, there has never been an issue with Kammock's quality except for the biners that came with it before they switched to better ones. It's always been about weight, bulk and cost. For a backyard or for someone who cares little about any or all of these factors, it's fine. In the end it's about what the user gets out if it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Most of the detractors here have really valid points about weight, backpacking preferences, etc...

But as for the fabric, it really is pretty great. Super comfortable and strong.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    It is rated for 500 pounds and it is supposedly tested at 900 pounds, so there has to be something to it.
    If by "tested" you mean that's the breaking strength, then those numbers are not a-typical, most companies do not list a breaking strength for their hammocks but if they did, i'd expect any nylon fabric in that weight range to be at-least that strength if not alot more, i've loaded a brand new single 1.1 blackbird with almost 1200 lbs before failure occured, and all that weight was on only about a 16" wide strip of fabric, so 900 lbs breaking strength for a fabric in the 2.5-3oz range doesn't mean the fabric is any stronger than normal. in general the weave has very little to do with strength, more important factors are the type of nylon, it's threadcount and the fabric weight, special weave not as much.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    If by "tested" you mean that's the breaking strength, then those numbers are not a-typical, most companies do not list a breaking strength for their hammocks but if they did, i'd expect any nylon fabric in that weight range to be at-least that strength if not alot more, i've loaded a brand new single 1.1 blackbird with almost 1200 lbs before failure occured, and all that weight was on only about a 16" wide strip of fabric, so 900 lbs breaking strength for a fabric in the 2.5-3oz range doesn't mean the fabric is any stronger than normal. in general the weave has very little to do with strength, more important factors are the type of nylon, it's threadcount and the fabric weight, special weave not as much.
    Good point. I do not remember where these numbers came from. I either read it, or was told this by the company's owner. I will try to look to see if the 900# was max load strength or break strength...I suppose that is why the "weight rating" is relative to real world humans weights and angles, instead of the actual break strength of the fabric. I actually wish that I could get some of this proprietary fabric...It does feel really good against the skin.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast