Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps

Choke Canyon Family Hang

On June 6 the family took a camping trip to Choke Canyon SP (Texas) and I was able to introduce my wife and daughter to sleeping in a hammock. Results were mixed. C Canyon is rich with wildlife and the campsite was thick with Javalina. They would come out right after dark to forage and see if there were any suckers around to feed them. We had a couple of dogs with us and the first night I got very little sleep, the dogs would blow up every couple of hours when a new group of Javalinas would come through the camp. I would have to chase them off to get the dogs quiet so we could go back to sleep. My daughter was in my Hennessy Exped the first night and was afraid most of the night, listening to the night sounds and knowing there were coons and Javalinas around. After that night she had enough and spent the next two nights in the cabin. The other two nights my wife used the hammock. She wasn't bothered having the Javalinas around but on the third night I was awakened by a very strange sound that I simply could not explain. I have heard a lot of strange and unidentified sounds in the night over the years but this one was really baffling. The next morning I found out what it was, our big ice chest was upside down about 20 feet from where we left it...during the night a Javalina wrecking crew was rolling it around trying to see what goodies might be inside. I had a heavy bungee around the ice chest to keep the coons out and it worked fine for Javalinas too. My daughter found hammocks a little too outdoorsy, my wife wasn't raving about hammocks but is game to try it again.

The photos are of my WBBB with a Claytor tarp and the faithful Hennessy in the background. Also one of my daughter and the biggest one off the trotline.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Wow, what a fish! I worry a bit about bringing my dog while hammocking because of the javalina. When I was in the service, they'd sometimes act pretty aggressive. Where were your dogs spending the night?

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    LOL makes a nice read! Thanks for sharing..

Javelinas makes me think of Les Stroud being scared sh!tless of them in one of his episodes.....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts