DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    If it's from the fabric getting sucked up in the throat plate how can I fix that?
    First, check which throat plate you have - mine came with two - one is meant for straight stitching only and has a hole that is barely bigger than the needle. This one will allow for the least chance of the material being sucked into the machine.

The second style of throat plate has a wider hole that is necessary for zig-zag and twin needle stitching.

Personally I keep the wider holed throat plate on at all times since I tend to forget to change it when I switch to zig-zag position for bar tacking things... ruined many a needle that way...sigh. All three pressure feet are sitting beside the machine!

Pressure feet also come in two styles - one strictly for straight stitching and one that CAN be used for straight stitch but also for zig-zag.

The combination of the both the throat plate AND the wider foot might cause the lighter weight fabrics such as noseeum and ripstop to get sucked in, particularly if your foot pressure isn't tight enough.

I just checked mine and two pieces of ripstop could not be pulled manually by me when held in place by the pressure foot. I did not yank on it or try to arm-wrestle it, just tried to firmly pull the fabric.

As with anything, always work with scraps of fabric to test any tension adjustments before working with something you want to keep.

Once your tension is set and your pressure is adjusted, there should be little to no further adjustments needed no matter the thread, fabric or number of layers.

I have a Singer 401A and haven't touched the adjustments in years. I sew everything from noseeum to straps, and denim jeans to taslan hiking pants, silk for pillowcases and liners and fleece.

It's not like a car engine that one always wants to tinker with to get just a little more power from...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...I do tend to use less foot pressure so I can go slow...

Presser foot pressure is not used to control feed speed. It is set to hold the fabric firmly against the feed dogs so the fabric will feed evenly and not slip causing uneven stitch lengths. Use the speed controller to go fast or slow.

...even when I maintained more foot pressure the stitches would still vary in length sometimes...

Are you pulling on the fabric with enough force to hold it back (causing short stitches) or pulling too hard from behind the presser foot (causing long stitches)? Again, use only the speed controller to regulate speed.
    ...........Just to be sure...when we talk about the presser foot, we are talking about the piece the fabric goes under and not your foot pressing on the speed controller.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ...........Just to be sure...when we talk about the presser foot, we are talking about the piece the fabric goes under and not your foot pressing on the speed controller.
    Hahaha! When I read the first post mentioning the presser foot pressure I missed the word presser. I thought he/she just said foot pressure. Ok I get it now
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    [QUOTE=Rain Man;1028100]WOW... just learned about "cross wound" v. "stacked" thread. Never knew about such feature. I think this will solve a problem I occasionally have with my old Singer.

But to the OP's problem. I purchased online a CD of the owner's manual for our old, inherited Kenmore. Sure learned a ton just reading the manual. Of course much is specific to our model.

HOWEVER, most of it is pertinent to sewing in general and not limited to our model of Kenmore. I'll see if I can attach it as a pdf. Especially helpful (to me) is the section on thread tension and how to easily determine if it's correct, and the footer pressure setting. [The whole manual was too large per HF limitations, so I uploaded the two sections on tension and pressure.]

Hope it helps other non-professional sewers like me.[/QUOTE

Those links were helpful. That explained it much better than the instructions that came with my machine.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    well i have defiantly learned something from this thread. i never knew about the straight vs cross wound spools. that would explain why the thread would get so twisted while using a cross wound spool vertically like a straight wound spool. i was just rethreading the machine each time it happened while wondering why this was happening. i probably need to redo some of my bobbins that i wound improperly because of this.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Those links were helpful. That explained it much better than the instructions that came with my machine.
    Glad to hear! And, glad to be of help!

I tried to post the entire owner's manual, but it was slightly too big for HF. Anyone know how I can split up a pdf into smaller parts?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12