Hammock
    RoamingGnome, Exped Ergo

Smile Newbie needs help :-)

Hi! I am looking for ways to spend more time outdoors despite a back/hip problems and a chronic illness. Ideally, I would like a hammock with room for two, so my husband and I can enjoy a fire in the chiminea on the patio. My husband loves to kayak and we both love to camp, but my health has put a damper on all of that. Hopefully, we will eventually get back to those activities! During my hammock research, I discovered that this is THE place to be for help in choosing the perfect hammock for my situation!!!

It is important to me be able to lie on the diagonal and to be very comfortable. My hammock needs to accommodate at least 375 lbs if it is to work for my husband and me together. I would like a bug net and a tarp, but do not necessarily need a cover. The weight of the hammock is not very important, but ease of set-up is very important. I would like a breathable fabric that will not be sticky in hot weather, as well as plenty of ventilation. I am interested in a double layer for a pad.

Hammocks that appeal to me: WB Blackbird (foot box), DH Dangerbird (custom aspects), Kammok Roo (breathable fabric), and Exped Ergo (looks most comfortable for me and easy to hang... but fits only one).

Thank you for an awesome forum and for any suggestions you can offer!
    Rosie
    Last edited by Rosie; 06-12-2013 at 12:15.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing
    I am a newbie also but I do have a WBBB and back problems. I love my hammock, it is better than my bed at home. I would cringe at the thought of sharing it to sleep with one of my kids, let alone my wife. Using it in chair mode enjoying a fire would be a different matter. With my limited experience, I would suggest a hammock for each of you. Say a pair of Blackbirds, one ordered as a lefty, so you can face each other, and a large tarp to share. You will each actually be able to sleep and your back(s) will thank you. (standard disclaimers apply)

Hammock
    RoamingGnome, Exped Ergo
    Hi AC8MJ! Thanks so much for your advice! Your Blackbird idea sounds wonderful!!! The most important thing is for me to be able to enjoy the outdoors, but it would be nice if the hammock was sturdy enough (and wide enough) for two adults to snuggle once in a while.

I wish I could try all of the hammocks I am interested in to decide!!! I know that REI carries the Ergo, so I could at least try that one! I am so eager to get outside in my new hammock!!

Thanks again! Rosie

P.S. I am assuming that all camping hammocks and tarps need to be brought in after each use. Is this correct?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    The way to try a large number of hammocks would be to attend a group hang in your area. I think that NEHHA (North East Hammock Hangers Association) just had a large hang last weekend. Check out the Trip Planning forum for your area to see what's going on.

I agree that 2 in a hammock is only good for short periods of time, and not for sleeping. There have been a number of discussions here and either a three tree hang (1 tree has one end of each hammock and the other ends go to different trees) or a single pair of trees with 2 hammocks held apart with a spreader bar on each end would be the way to go.

Welcome to the forums and have fun getting back outside.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    RoamingGnome, Exped Ergo
    Thank you for your welcome and for the info, Doogie! What a bummer that I just missed the hang!!! I did find the Northeast group on FB and will look them up here, too, if that is what you meant.

I think I have pretty much shortened my hammock list to ether the Dangerbird in the heavy weight 72" wide crinkle polyester (for an all around solution), or the Exped Ergo (just for me).

My husband is 5' 11" or so and I am 5' 4". Do you think it would it be silly to have an 11' Dangerbird as long as I had the zipper pulls placed where I could reach them? Or would it improve the flat lay enough to just go for it?

Thanks again, very much, Doogie!
    Rosie
    Last edited by Rosie; 06-12-2013 at 14:42.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    With your height, you could use a 10' comfortably, but an 11' would still work. As for two in the hammock, go for it, for short term snuggling, but for sleeping, you would need two hammocks to be comfortable. Doogie's suggestions are spot on. If your interested in the Dangerbird, give PapaSmurf a PM, he will be able to answer your questions......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    RoamingGnome, Exped Ergo
    Thank you for your advice, RoadRunner! I found some discussion about hammocks for couples and sent PapaSmurf a PM. Rosie

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Thank you for your welcome and for the info, Doogie! What a bummer that I just missed the hang!!! I did find the Northeast group on FB and will look them up here, too, if that is what you meant.

I think I have pretty much shortened my hammock list to ether the Dangerbird in the heavy weight 72" wide crinkle polyester (for an all around solution), or the Exped Ergo (just for me).

My husband is 5' 11" or so and I am 5' 4". Do you think it would it be silly to have an 11' Dangerbird as long as I had the zipper pulls placed where I could reach them? Or would it improve the flat lay enough to just go for it?

Thanks again, very much, Doogie!
    Rosie
    I meant keeping tabs on the NorthEast trip planning forum for upcoming hangs....I didn't know they had a FB page. (HF is my social media)

I'm not much help with the hammock choice since I've only had an ENO DN and my DIY gathered end. I'm 5'9" and the 9' ENO was a little short. The 11' DIY is much more comfortable although I think I could easily go to 10' 6". I think the ones with the footbox are more comfortable with a shorter length.

One other tip. If you are interested in more outdoors type things, become a donating member and check out the Camp Kitchen, Clothing, Backpacks, and other areas that are open only to donating members....best $10 I've ever spent.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Hammock
    RoamingGnome, Exped Ergo
    Doogie... you have been a wonderful help!!! I did hear back from PapaSmurf with some outstanding suggestions for what model and what modifications would work best for my situation.

Unfortunately, I had just ordered the Exped Ergo Combi 2013 because I can have it right away, I have up to a year to give it a test drive, it fits easily within the available footprint on my patio with no modifications whatsoever, and I think it will be the most comfortable for my ailments. A strong negative was that the Exped Ergo is made in China... in contrast to the Dream Hammocks RoamingGnome, which is made in Ohio with love, by hand.

It was a hard choice to make, and, if it doesn't work out, I will be getting an 11'L 72"W double layer RoamingGnome with cinch buckle suspension, extra zipper pulls, and hand loops at each end of the inside of the hammock (to assist with pulling myself up)... all recommended by PapaSmurf. Hopefully, this will be helpful info for someone else with back pain.

In case anyone else is interested in the Exped Ergo Hammock Combi, I purchased it at a hefty discount at Backcountryedge.com. The regular price is $379, but it was on sale for $299.95. To that price was applied a 12% discount because I signed up as a member (for no cost). With no shipping and no sales tax (except in PA), my total cost at BackcountryEdge was $263.96... a savings of $115 off retail!!! The sale ends on June 16th. If I should be posting this info somewhere else on HF, I hope someone will let me know.

I am excited about having come out of my search with two awesome Hammock options, and very thankful for your valuable help in making my selection!!! Rosie

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Sounds like you are well on your way. Don't forget to put up some pics when you get set up.

• + New Posts