Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_807 View Post
    I am trying to find the perfect way to attach the water bladder.
    On this page, you will find the MMG Water Bladder Carrier, a PEF insulated pouch that holds up to 4L bladder, and straps onto the outside of your load.

Sometimes I want to buy a new MMP with the hydration bladder pocket.
    That's really the best way I have ever carried a bladder.

Alternatively, the bladder pocket will hold a Ruger 10/22 Take Down rifle with a folding stock!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Is the water bladder carrier the same dimensions as the original MMP? Does it have a weight limit?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Another option for the water bladder is to take a Camelbak mil-spec carrier (the one with the D-rings at the perimeter) and use four mini 'biners to clip to your preexisting straps or one of the PALS array rows.

For most of my trips with my DIY MMP-ispired pack, I clip the carrier to the top PALS row with a pair of mini 'biners and to my bottom most pair of straps (the ones that hold my all-in-one Blackbishop bag to the pack) with a pair of plastic S-biners (I worry about perforating those straps, as they are also my tree straps for the hammock). Wish I had a photo of that, but I don't have one that actually shows the back of the pack.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Since we are on the topic of the water bladder... I don't think I have ever actually found a picture of the MMG Water Bladder Carrier. Instead when I bought my hydration bladder I bought a Platypus Insulator Hydration System which is an insulated bag for thier 3L bladder. It has three D rings; two near the top on either side and one at the center bottom. I then have a set of thin straps, that I run to the MMP over the hammock stuff sack, which the bladder hangs from. At the bottom another strap fed between the Garcia canister and the quilt sack keeps it from shifting. MacEntyre, is this the way you would rig the MMG Water Bladder Carrier?

Here is a photo of my normal load out: (now that I am at home and looking through my photos)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Tim_807, that's pretty much what I do. The only difference is that my kit seems to have considerably less bulk to it, so I wind up leaving the top few rows on the pack unused.

Something I've found for my ditty bag and poncho is that, if you clip to the pack proper with the top corners of the bladder carrier and then to the bottom stuff sack's straps, it makes a decent impromptu flatbed carrier. I can shove my poncho and ditty bag between the carrier and the back of the pack and not have to fiddle with anything to remove either (well, I usually self-knot the ditty bag's drawstring to the haul loop on the bladder carrier, but that's just an "in case" backup that takes ~3 seconds to undo if I need to remove the ditty bag).

Just a thought.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    MacEntyre, is this the way you would rig the MMG Water Bladder Carrier?
    That's looks like a great way to rig a water bladder to a MMP however if you check out the MMG store their is the original MMP and the MMP water bladder carrier. It looks a lot like the original only it separates in the middle so you can put a bladder in. Brilliant Design. I just wonder if it effects the performance of the pack... like can you load heavy items near the top of the pack (as this is the correct way to load for trail hiking) where the split that contains the water bladder is located? A picture of the top of the MMP water bladder carrier would be nice.
    Check out his website for pictures of the MMG Water Bladder Carrier here.

http://www.mollymacpack.com/order.html (Watch the video)

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    FLRider,
    Some of my stuff if a little bulky, I am using the Hammock Bliss bug net which refuses to pack down small and the Garcia adds a bit of bulk to my setup. However in the photo the other stuff sacks are kind of deceptive. They are silnylon dry sacks and I never can get all the air out. So when I strap them down the air moves to the ends of the stuff sack, kind of making a dumbbell shape. The top few rows of my pack are empty if it wasn't for the OES tarp stuff sack being short and wide, I need to get a set of tarp skins or a different shape stuff sack for it.

LessPayne,
    I think the video is for the MMP with an integrated hydration bladder sleeve. Effectively the MMP gets split into two halves with room for a bladder in the middle, right? This is the pack I sometimes want to try, it seems like it would be nice to get the water weight up closer to your back. MacEntyre also sells the "Water Bladder Carrier PEF insulated Water Bladder Carrier, holds up to 4L bladder $35.00" which I am not sure I have ever seen a photo of. My understanding is that this is a bag to hold the hydration bladder somewhat like Platypus one I bought.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    LessPayne,
    I think the video is for the MMP with an integrated hydration bladder sleeve. Effectively the MMP gets split into two halves with room for a bladder in the middle, right? This is the pack I sometimes want to try, it seems like it would be nice to get the water weight up closer to your back. MacEntyre also sells the "Water Bladder Carrier PEF insulated Water Bladder Carrier, holds up to 4L bladder $35.00" which I am not sure I have ever seen a photo of. My understanding is that this is a bag to hold the hydration bladder somewhat like Platypus one I bought.
    I see.... there are two different products that we are discussing. I guess it slipped my mind that MMG sell a Water Bladder Carrier. You are correct, I was talking about the MMP Hydration Pack that splits the pack in half. I like the idea of having the bladder against my back for the weight issue but also I think it will help the pack conform to my back. However sometimes I have to carry tools up to 1 mile away for work and the weight can become easily 75 lbs or more, with this in mind and also trail riding and hiking and canoeing and on and on, I think the original MMP might be the way to go. Hate to have the pack rip in half and watch the company's more delicate and expensive tools fall to the ground.

Images
    Great pictures of a big load on MMP from Tim, as well as great pics of chain saws by WV! Also, who was it that carried the firewood loads with a MMP, was that WV also? Honestly, I don't think I would want to do that with any other pack I have, most especially trying to stuff my UL packs with firewood. I guess it could be done, but I'd feel a lot safer doing that with a MMP Pergrine. Is Mac still making the UL version, the Angrysparrow?

Here is something I have not seen a pic of. Sorry guys, I don't have a pic so I guess it didn't happen, and I would have to put on a full load to do it and don't have time right now. Though I have done it several times and absolutely loved it: using a front pack to greatly balance the load!

OK, go back to Tim's side view pic with his MacCat deluxe on the very top array. Now replace that with a big fat stuff sack, so that the top edge of the stuff sack actually comes up above the top edge of the pack, and a bit higher than your shoulders. Actually, Tim's tarp is close enough, but I don't know if it would be wide enough to catch the front straps, so maybe something a little bigger.

Then have the load lifter straps OVER this stuff sack.

Then load the front pack with as much weight as reasonable, I often have my 1 liter water bottle in there with a bunch of other stuff, usually the denser stuff like GPS, some food, plus I often have my JRB 19 oz tarp strapped along the bottom edge of the front pack. This seems to pull the entire load forward a bit, improving the upright stance even more than usual. Best of all, as far as I can tell none of this weight ends up on my shoulders, the top stuff sack seems to soak up all of that pressure. At least that is what it feels like.

I just as often use my lighter Pinnacle with the lighter loads. But, the more the weight starts getting above 20 lbs or starts getting bulkier, the more likely I am to use the MMP. On my last trip to the Sawtooths for a week in the early fall, I got by with my Pinnacle but I felt the MMP would have been more comfy ( even though heavier) and I would have had more room also, plus a front packs convenience. The only downside to the front pack is it makes me sweat more on my front. But sure is handy. Pros and cons, but great pack!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Billybob
    Yes that was WV carrying a load of firewood with the MMP.
    I was not even considering getting the front pack until you brought up balancing the weight issue. I have a couple of questions about that.
    1. Does it make your loads feel lighter?
    2. Can you carry more weight, for example say I can normally travel 10 miles a day with my pack loaded down at 20 lbs, by properly balancing a load between the front, back and belt can I effectively carry 30 or 35 lbs the same distance?
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast