Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    the tutorial is wonderful!

the end product outstanding!

don't have an adequate command of the English language to express my thanks well enough

guess my Texican will just have to do

Hot *%&#, what great job!!!

it's guys like you who make this forum so great!!!

Many thanks!!!

PM in the works

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It's 1.9 oz. Three weeks ago my killer 1.1 oz MARPAT camo hammock ripped in half when I sat on it. Sniff...
    I decided to make one out of this heavier fabric to see if I liked the way it felt, see if it really made a difference in my pack.
    Could't tell a difference in the pack load, but MAN is it comfy. It is also 10 inches wider than my 1.1 oz. hammock. I stitched that one back together and I'm taking it to a group hang to field test it by asking all the biggest dudes to lay in it...heh heh heh

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post

One thing I do with every hammock is start at 83% of hammock length for the ridge line, but always end up with a final adjustment closer to 90%. The tie outs just give you more room and pulls the bug net away from you. The lay with no tie outs is the same for me as with the hammock sides pulled out.
    Full of admiration here, not least for the quality of documentation, which will be a real boon to many others.

In another concurrent thread, heavier-fabric hammocks take the familiar beating from keepers of a UL Canon. It is something beyond ironic that a fit guy like you who spins (or stomps) so many miles turns to two layers, 3.6 oz total, for comfort. Indeed, what's the virtue in sleeping at risk of cramps and waking, as if on the ground, in a too-stretchy hammock?

Cavils: On a 10ft hammock, the RL length adjustment you early reported was just +1", less than 1%, not close to 7% to 90%. Did I miss an update? (And BTW, folks, forget about 83%: remember instead 5/6. Or divide by six and multiply by five.)

Just so WBBB users don't get an unnecessarily incorrect idea -- and yes ,HYOH, fabrics differ in unexpected ways, etc, did you go this route as a confident DIY'er, AFTER trying a double 1.7oz WBBB?

And, thoughts on different weights for inner and outer layers? Or outer layer a tad larger than the inner layer?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-09-2013 at 14:47.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    the tutorial is wonderful!

the end product outstanding!

don't have an adequate command of the English language to express my thanks well enough

guess my Texican will just have to do

Hot *%&#, what great job!!!

it's guys like you who make this forum so great!!!

Many thanks!!!

PM in the works

sw
    Thanks! PM answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    It's 1.9 oz. Three weeks ago my killer 1.1 oz MARPAT camo hammock ripped in half when I sat on it. Sniff...
    I decided to make one out of this heavier fabric to see if I liked the way it felt, see if it really made a difference in my pack.
    Could't tell a difference in the pack load, but MAN is it comfy. It is also 10 inches wider than my 1.1 oz. hammock. I stitched that one back together and I'm taking it to a group hang to field test it by asking all the biggest dudes to lay in it...heh heh heh
    Yes, I read with great interest the why's and how's on the material splitting and your repair. You should see how a double layer feels - no stretch and very comfy and breathable (no DWR). My new one is my 4 season and I'm setting it up for cool/cold weather - I'm making another digi camo top cover also - pics to follow.
    I wish your test dummies, er, hangers the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Full of admiration here, not least for the quality of documentation, which will be a real boon to many others.

In another concurrent thread, heavier-fabric hammocks take the familiar beating from keepers of a UL Canon. It is something beyond ironic that a fit guy like you who spins (or stomps) so many miles turns to two layers, 3.6 oz total, for comfort. Indeed, what's the virtue in sleeping at risk of cramps and waking, as if on the ground, in a too-stretchy hammock?

Cavils: On a 10ft hammock, the RL length adjustment you early reported was just +1", less than 1%, not close to 7% to 90%. Did I miss an update? (And BTW, folks, forget about 83%: remember instead 5/6. Or divide by six and multiply by five.)

Just so WBBB users don't get an unnecessarily incorrect idea -- and yes ,HYOH, fabrics differ in unexpected ways, etc, did you go this route as a confident DIY'er, AFTER trying a double 1.7oz WBBB?

And, thoughts on different weights for inner and outer layers? Or outer layer a tad larger than the inner layer?
    Thank you, DemostiX. I could have explained things a bit better, and am working on a better guide.

I did change the ridge line length to 85% or 107" - this was perfect for me and Doctari liked it also - that's why he has it now. I'm making a new one right now - almost done - the ridge line on the new one is 109".. I've never liked the "feel" of 83% in any hammock.

I owned a WBBB 1.7 dbl for 3 years and recently sold it because of the calf ridge problem. This is why I decided to "roll" my own. I don't mind the added heft of my hammock at all - I'm old enough to appreciate comfort and a good nights sleep over UL. No offense to the UL people. I find I have to make custom gear for myself as I'm not a good fit for "stock" measurements. Once I got an old (Singer 201) sewing machine and taught myself how to use it, I've never looked back!

Yes, I thought about different weights for the inner layer, but it's only a few ounces difference. Untreated material feels much better than treated.

The new hammock I'm finishing is very similar to the one in this thread - it's a few inches longer and 1 inch wider. I've slept in it in hot weather (90's days down to high 60's nights) and it breathes very well for a dual layer. No clammy feeling and not much sweating either. Has a very cottony feel and a soft pile.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 07-09-2013 at 16:46. Reason: more stuff
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Breathability is important; but so is transpiration, the capacity of the fabric to wick away moisture from the source, hopefully just your skin, for evaporation as by an evaporative cooling pad. (I'm suddenly struck with concern that polyester hammocks may suffer the old polyester / acrilic stinky-funk-blues. But, that's another topic.)

Yes, on weight: The arithmetic is easy. A 10' x 5' hammock uses about 6sq yd of fabric. Or 12 yards, if double-bottom. So each .1oz of fabric weight for your double adds just 1.2oz of weight. The rest--suspension, bugnet, etc is constant and cancels. So, .5oz lighter stuff would save (just) 6oz.

What I like about the heavier fabric of Clarks is that the local stretch is reduced, and that is what matters for my comfort. Notwithstanding our ability to string up any tablecloth or sheet or remnant that is long, wide, and strong enough, fabric properties differ.

In your case, the WBBB fabric or tailoring doesn't suit your body so well, and the tailoring may limit -- I haven't searched archives on this -- the ability of the user to increase the SRL length to a greater fraction of hammock length, as you prefer for this DIY.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Breathability is important; but so is transpiration, the capacity of the fabric to wick away moisture from the source, hopefully just your skin, for evaporation as by an evaporative cooling pad. (I'm suddenly struck with concern that polyester hammocks may suffer the old polyester / acrilic stinky-funk-blues. But, that's another topic.)

Yes, on weight: The arithmetic is easy. A 10' x 5' hammock uses about 6sq yd of fabric. Or 12 yards, if double-bottom. So each .1oz of fabric weight for your double adds just 1.2oz of weight. The rest--suspension, bugnet, etc is constant and cancels. So, .5oz lighter stuff would save (just) 6oz.

What I like about the heavier fabric of Clarks is that the local stretch is reduced, and that is what matters for my comfort. Notwithstanding our ability to string up any tablecloth or sheet or remnant that is long, wide, and strong enough, fabric properties differ.

In your case, the WBBB fabric or tailoring doesn't suit your body so well, and the tailoring may limit -- I haven't searched archives on this -- the ability of the user to increase the SRL length to a greater fraction of hammock length, as you prefer for this DIY.

Absolutely! I would recommend that everyone get untreated material if they can. Its very hot and muggy where I am, and I don't perspire nearly as much with the new hammock (even though it's much thicker) as with a poly or coated ripstop.

I wasn't able to lengthen the ridgeline in the WBBB more than 1/2 inch due to the netting being stretched. My new one has been thoroughly tested before I added the net.

Here it is at the final final fitting stage before the net is sewn on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Hey Lost Biker, I just finished a DL 1.8 camo (DIY Gear Supply) and wanted to thank you. I had started this hammock and then saw this thread and the one on installing the bug net and saw some things I liked so made some changes. My dimensions were the same as yours but only one zipper down left side. I really liked your bug net method and to me it made things a lot simpler. I had to adjust the pins around the foot area twice but that was all before sewing. I had planned to fold the bottom edge of the bug net and then fold a piece of 3/4 grosgrain around that, then pin it and sew but I needed 17 more fingers and a lot more patience so I just sewed the net straight on. I really like the way this fabric feels. In the stuff sack, hammock, UCRs, 5' tree straps and 2 biners it weighs 34 oz compared to my WBBB DL1.1 with the same suspension at 28 oz. Any way, everybody needs a couple more hammocks, huh. Once again, thanks for the great tutorial!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Hey Lost Biker, I just finished a DL 1.8 camo (DIY Gear Supply) and wanted to thank you. I had started this hammock and then saw this thread and the one on installing the bug net and saw some things I liked so made some changes. My dimensions were the same as yours but only one zipper down left side. I really liked your bug net method and to me it made things a lot simpler. I had to adjust the pins around the foot area twice but that was all before sewing. I had planned to fold the bottom edge of the bug net and then fold a piece of 3/4 grosgrain around that, then pin it and sew but I needed 17 more fingers and a lot more patience so I just sewed the net straight on. I really like the way this fabric feels. In the stuff sack, hammock, UCRs, 5' tree straps and 2 biners it weighs 34 oz compared to my WBBB DL1.1 with the same suspension at 28 oz. Any way, everybody needs a couple more hammocks, huh. Once again, thanks for the great tutorial!

Hey Firebird, your welcome! That hammock looks familiar - Glad you like the material and the instructions. Beautiful job and beautiful hammock!

Mine came out to 36.86oz with everything. Now that the weather has cooled down, I'm enjoying it more.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Nice looking hammock Lost_Biker.
    If you would like all the exact dimensions I used to make this hammock, just let me know.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the dimensions or drawing if possible. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seaelf View Post
    Nice looking hammock Lost_Biker.

I wouldn't mind seeing the dimensions or drawing if possible. Thanks!

Started with 7 yards, folded in half , sew a double folded seam on the ends which took up 2 inches at each end. The fabric is 65 inches wide. I did a double 1/2 inch seam on the sides - this made 63 inches for the width.

Scott always gives an extra 6 or so inches on the fabric length, so you'll end up with close to 11" after squaring the ends.

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast