Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    B. E. A. UTIFUL!

This is exactly what I've been envisioning since I got the DIY bug. Enjoy your trip this weekend.
    and wow very nice

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Thank you, rcam.

Slept very well and most importantly to me, is that there is no ridge to bother my legs - just smooth fabric. Also rolled over on my side easily. This is going to be a great 4 season hammock - a little heavy for some - the entire (with the top cover) hammock weighs in at 46.7 oz. That's lines, shock cord pull outs and everything.
    What an awesome looking rig Lost_Biker....may I ask what you think is responsible for the hammock not having a calf or knee ridge? Did you whip it knotty/warbonnet style?

Thanks man, I would love to build something similar, even just the Hennessy style guyouts might be a nice change for me.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgie View Post
    and wow very nice
    Thanks wedgie!

Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    What an awesome looking rig Lost_Biker....may I ask what you think is responsible for the hammock not having a calf or knee ridge? Did you whip it knotty/warbonnet style?

Thanks man, I would love to build something similar, even just the Hennessy style guyouts might be a nice change for me.
    Thanks priller! I think it's a combination of length, width, whipping and ridgeline length. Yes, I used the warbonnet style whipping. This is the 7th hammock of this style I've made and while the single layers stretch more, which gives it a different lay, they all feel great as far as the calf ridge problem. I do find the warbonnet whip more comfy.

I loved my WBBB, but my legs are getting more sensitive as I get older and try as I might, I couldn't get rid of the dreaded calf ridge. Got down right painful at times.

What I've made feels great to me, but others may not like it at all - everyone's different.

One thing I do with every hammock is start at 83% of hammock length for the ridge line, but always end up with a final adjustment closer to 90%. The tie outs just give you more room and pulls the bug net away from you. The lay with no tie outs is the same for me as with the hammock sides pulled out.

If you would like all the exact dimensions I used to make this hammock, just let me know.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Thanks wedgie!

Thanks priller! I think it's a combination of length, width, whipping and ridgeline length. Yes, I used the warbonnet style whipping. This is the 7th hammock of this style I've made and while the single layers stretch more, which gives it a different lay, they all feel great as far as the calf ridge problem. I do find the warbonnet whip more comfy.

I loved my WBBB, but my legs are getting more sensitive as I get older and try as I might, I couldn't get rid of the dreaded calf ridge. Got down right painful at times.

What I've made feels great to me, but others may not like it at all - everyone's different.

One thing I do with every hammock is start at 83% of hammock length for the ridge line, but always end up with a final adjustment closer to 90%. The tie outs just give you more room and pulls the bug net away from you. The lay with no tie outs is the same for me as with the hammock sides pulled out.

If you would like all the exact dimensions I used to make this hammock, just let me know.
    Thanks a lot for the offer Lost_Biker! I won't ask you do to that right now, although others may be interested. I think it's time I get some more garage/hammock time for tinkering....THANKS!

JP

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Your quite welcome, priller!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

LB, you did a great job! You do good work. I am in the thinking stages and will start my first attempt at a hammock shortly. I have what my be a dumb question...Why is your double layer opening inside the zipper? Why not connect the zipper to the top layer and have the bottom layer below? That way you can insert your pad or whatever without unzipping? There may not be any real advantage to that but just curious why you chose the way you did.
    Still new to all of this but folks like you sharing your work are a real help in gaining confidence for me to give this a try.
    J

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IDJAY View Post
    LB, you did a great job! You do good work. I am in the thinking stages and will start my first attempt at a hammock shortly. I have what my be a dumb question...Why is your double layer opening inside the zipper? Why not connect the zipper to the top layer and have the bottom layer below? That way you can insert your pad or whatever without unzipping? There may not be any real advantage to that but just curious why you chose the way you did.
    Still new to all of this but folks like you sharing your work are a real help in gaining confidence for me to give this a try.
    J
    Thank you, IDJAY! You can do the layer either way. I put the opening on the inside of the zipper so it will snap shut to keep insects and dirt or whatever from getting in between the layers -- thats pretty much the only reason. It also looks cleaner from the outside.

This hammock is a lot easier to make than you think - the bug net is the only part where you need to be extra careful with and that's just a matter of careful pinning and sewing. If you want more details and dimensions, let me know - I have lots of pictures.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Here it is all cleaned up and the excess bug net trimmed. Peak bag for the net is at the foot end.

What I like is if you have an UQ on the bottom and the pull outs staked, you have a nice shelf to stash light weight items.

Time to spray everything with permethrin for this weekends hang!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Man thats a great looking setup! I can't wait to get a sewing machine and start making my own gear. Keep up the good work and thanks for documenting the build with instructions and pictures.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Man thats a great looking setup! I can't wait to get a sewing machine and start making my own gear. Keep up the good work and thanks for documenting the build with instructions and pictures.
    Thank you, dangerous!

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast