Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

New DIY 1.8oz DL Camo Hammock

Ok, I admit it, I like camo. This is the 1.8oz camo fabric that Scott at DIY Gear Supply now has in stock. Just barely got it in time as Scott is closed for the next few weeks.

Since I no longer have my WBBB - I had to let it go, as the calf ridge was getting extremely uncomfortable - my legs are getting worse every year. So I needed to make a new hammock for the Easy Survival Hang that Doctari is giving on the 22nd of this month.

I got 7 yds of this material for a 10ft long, 63 inch wide hammock (dimensions after sewing).. I still have to add the zippers and bugnet, along with a top cover. I made it a double layer - yes, it's heavy, but for the comfort this thing has, I'll carry the extra weight.

This material has no finish (dwr) so is pretty breathable - you can blow right thru it easily. It drapes really well and even though it's ripstop, it's very smooth and feels great against the skin.

My bug net will not be completely removable, but will stow in a small peak bag at one end of the hammock. I haven't set the pull outs yet - my assistant will help with that tomorrow. I'll also get the ridge line connected. Pics to follow!

No stretch that I could detect yet. No flaws in the material that I could see.

All I did was square up the ends, roll and sew the long edges (1/4 in), fold it in half, make channels (1 in) on both ends, sew the edges together except for 27 inches in case I want to slip a pad in, sew the top edge ends 8 inches and re-enforced that with some 3/4 in gross grain for the bug net.

As soon as I got in the hammock, I knew it was going to be comfortable. No calf ridge, very flat lay - left or right. Very smooth material - not grabby or slippery - just right.

So here's some pictures of the process. It looks more complicated than it actually is - this material sews very easy.

This is going to make a great cool/cold weather hammock. We'll see how it "hangs" at the hang next week. Pictures of that will follow also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Now I'm jealous.
    The syntactical nature of reality, the real secret of magic, is that the world is made of words. And if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish.
    – Terence McKenna

Nick's Hi-Tech Pressure Washing

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    Now I'm jealous.
    Do you want one? I have no idea how a 1.8 single would feel. This one weighs about 13-14oz or so without the bug net and tie outs. A single layer will be about half that. I expect the total will be close to 20oz when I'm done with this one. Lemme finish this one and if you like it maybe we can arrange something.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Very very cool Lost_Biker! Love seeing your work.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Very very cool Lost_Biker! Love seeing your work.
    Thank you, dragon. Camo does have a certain appeal, doesn't it?

I just put up the ridge line. 102 inches (83% 0f 123 inches) - feels a little short, so I'll play with it later. This untreated fabric is nice!

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Ridge line is attached. The fun starts tomorrow - pull outs, zippers and bug net.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Im just about to start my diy hammock. I have a question about the width? Do you feel that 63 inches is too wide? If you were to make another one, would you make it as wide? Before sewing some hems, my 1.8 ripstop is 60 inches wide. Just wondering if you would recommend trimming down the width a bit or not. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Omerta925 View Post
    Im just about to start my diy hammock. I have a question about the width? Do you feel that 63 inches is too wide? If you were to make another one, would you make it as wide? Before sewing some hems, my 1.8 ripstop is 60 inches wide. Just wondering if you would recommend trimming down the width a bit or not. Thanks.
    Hello Omerta! No, I don't feel 63" is too wide. If I didn't need to trim a little from the side edges, I would have had 64".

The wider the material, the more comfy the diagonal lay - for me at least. Many find 58-60" wide to be perfectly comfortable. For bigger people (like me), the added width makes for more room.

Since this is going to be my primary hammock for cooler/cold weather, I won't be using the side pull outs when it's cold - I like being "enveloped" by the higher walls and my uq.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: New DIY 1.8oz DL Camo Hammock

Nice looking hammock, can't wait to see it finished.

I'll throw in a +1 on the width thing, I have some 2.2oz ripstop that is 68" wide after hemming and it makes a great hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Nice looking hammock, can't wait to see it finished.

I'll throw in a +1 on the width thing, I have some 2.2oz ripstop that is 68" wide after hemming and it makes a great hammock.
    Thanks, craige! Yeah, if this came in 68", I would grab it really fast.

Just finished setting the ridgeline. 1 inch made a whole lot of difference. I started out with 102 and stopped at 103 - perfect for me.

Got the side pulls set. I used a pair of clamp on tarp pulls and slid them around until I found the sweet spot - each side is 14" from center or 28" on center. This is a right hand lay - head on left and feet on right.
    Swapping ends is the same feel and lay. I notice this is very close to headchange4u's HH clone - he used 13" or 26" on center. I did try the 13", but liked the 14" better - YMMV!

Here's pics of the positioning and lay.

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast