Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Not many trees on the outer banks but lots of sand.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Looks like a great time. I usually head to the beach after Labor Day, when the crowd dwindles down (and the prices).

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I live no more than a quarter mile up the road from cape point campground, on Loggerhead Ln, just past the buxton woods area. I work for the NPS here in buxton. I was actually in that campground mowing grass Saturday. I didn't read through the thread entirely but if you want to meet up shoot me a pm. I'd like to get a look at your stands...
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NMardin View Post
    Super jealous of you right now XTrekker, I didn't live far from the outer banks, that is by far one of my most favorite places in the world to go. Even better you are able to hang there! I've been wondering about bamboo ridge poles. Do they work well or do they flex too much? I plan on making some out of bamboo in the future as we have a ton of it here. Hope you had a good day on the beach!
    Yeah it's abit of a challenge to make them solid enough to handle the stresses. I have few bamboo ridge poles still being put together right now and wasnt able to bring them on the trip...Would have been nice to swap out those metal poles for bamboo..Would have shaved off a good 6lbs off the stand weight..The walk to the beach was about a mile or so...A mile in hot sand is alot longer than a mile on a shaded trail. Since every bamboo stalk is different, I have use different methods for making them strong at the joint. Originally my first two bamboo ridge poles were made out of 1" diameter bamboo and it worked fine but they flexed so much it was alittle un-nerving hanging under them. Constantly wondering if it would snap...It never did, but still; I ended up doing away with them and going with a larger sized diameter bamboo stalk.

I must say; hanging at the beach is the greatest. I am so glad I have these UL bamboo stands. 10-12lbs vs the normal 20-25lb hammock stands makes a huge difference on those long walks to the perfect beach hang.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gcy24 View Post
    I live no more than a quarter mile up the road from cape point campground, on Loggerhead Ln, just past the buxton woods area. I work for the NPS here in buxton. I was actually in that campground mowing grass Saturday. I didn't read through the thread entirely but if you want to meet up shoot me a pm. I'd like to get a look at your stands...
    Yeah I drove by one of you guys mowing when I came in...I was in the white minivan camped out in the center of the camp ground. D13...Im back in VA now..was just there for the night..Next time ill hit ya up for sure..

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Yeah I drove by one of you guys mowing when I came in...I was in the white minivan camped out in the center of the camp ground. D13...Im back in VA now..was just there for the night..Next time ill hit ya up for sure..
    Ah well, next time. Hope you had a good time with your family and enjoyed the park!

And sorry for the long walk to the beach, these piping plovers practically run this island and all but three of the orv ramps are closed cause of them.. Hence most people's hate for the nps, but were just doing the biding of the Audubon.
    Grant

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gcy24 View Post
    Ah well, next time. Hope you had a good time with your family and enjoyed the park!

And sorry for the long walk to the beach, these piping plovers practically run this island and all but three of the orv ramps are closed cause of them.. Hence most people's hate for the nps, but were just doing the biding of the Audubon.
    Yeah its all good...The kids didnt enjoy the walk very much but as for me, I do more backpacking than car camping so the walk didnt bother me. Plan to return before fall and try out that Frisco Campground next time.

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good luck at frisco, it's generally more busy as the season picks up. And the few spots that are good for hanging, are most likely to be taken due to the shade they offer. But it however, offers a very short walk to the beach.
    Grant

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    I know some folks have had luck with shutting down the sail problem with a single staked guy line directly down from the tripod center. Essentially loading the tripods so that it settles as if you are already in hammock.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Re: Cape Hatteras North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Nift View Post
    I know some folks have had luck with shutting down the sail problem with a single staked guy line directly down from the tripod center. Essentially loading the tripods so that it settles as if you are already in hammock.
    . it would have to be one heck of an anchor if the anchors directly below the guyline, seems to me that the guy line would just pull anchor straight up out of the sand. even with the guidelines on hammock strung laterally the wind still pulled those out of the sand. and I was using MSR groundhogs. going to have to get larger anchors next time

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast