Blackbird lightening strategy?

Greetings!

I'll be receiving a Blackbird hammock and Superfly tarp within the next few weeks. I'm looking for advice on lightening the package for backpacking purposes.

The hammock is coming with the adjustable webbing suspension. As this will be my first hammock, I chose this suspension because I wanted a no-brainer setup out of the proverbial box. However, I'm also looking down the road to backpacking with the lightest possible hammock/tarp setup I can manage.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? What suspension would you use? What guylines/stakes would you use? Are there any additional products you would buy to supplement your setup?

Some additional info: I'm not afraid of knots. What would you use for a knot-centric setup? A knot free setup?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Blackbird lightening strategy?

Just got mine and an thinking about adding whoopie slings. Only a little lighter, but I have a pair on my ENO and think they're easier to adjust than the webbing.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Blackbird lightening strategy?

Disclaimer: I don't own a blackbird so I'm not sure of all the components.

To lighten the hammock components: If you are light enough you could use dynaglide UCRs. You could also change the rl if it is heavier than zing it (not sure what is used). You can use small sticks or ti pins to stake out the hammock tie outs. Other than that I'm not sure.

In terms of no-knot hardware, look at Dutch's site: http://dutchwaregear.com

For the hammock suspension, whoopie hooks and dutch clips are great.

For tarp suspension, tarp flyz and dutch hooks are fantastic. I am currently using the method dejoha illustrated here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=63271
    Although warbonnetguy recommends using seperate lines instead of a continuous ridgeline for the superfly as he demonstrates on his video on the wb site.
    I am currently using Y skates on the 4 corners and carrying a few ti pins for back up and doors.

For guylines most folk use zing-it. 6'-8' lengths plus more for panel pulls.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Here are suggestions I got from BearChaser when I asked same thing. Things to think about.

1. change ridge line to some 1.75mm Lash-it. Also DIY gear supply has some stuff at the bottom of the page called tech line. I would also guess that any of Joe's Z-Line Slick Dyneema would work. The smallest 1.4mm has a breaking strength of 330lbs.

2. changed & shortened the tie out cord itself to some of Joe's 80lb. utility cord. *Or you can get rid of tie out system all together. *Only a few like that be ause netting falls in face.

3. used some tiny cord locks

4. changed out the big shock cord with some 1/16" shock cord.

5. Dynaglide Whoopie Slings and Dutch Whoopie Hooks.

6. Stuff sack, I'm using the cuben fiber stuff sack that my ZPack tarp came with.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 06-15-2013 at 20:38.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    how much weight can you really cut from the stock setup? I think mine weighed in just over two pounds with way too much cordage! lol.
    Last edited by outdooraddict; 06-15-2013 at 19:27. Reason: to instead of too...serious pet peeve! dang spell check

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use the KISS system ...Keep It Simple Stupid.

I own 2 BB's and my wife one. I use a 1.7 and 1.1, both doubles. I would add Dutch clips and leave the rest of the suspension alone. Makes a very very fast no brainer set up and take down on the hammock. I added zipper pulls with yellow and orange cord to the Black Birds to make it easier to find the zippers. These days I rarely bother to stake out my BBs.

I use whoopies on some of my hammocks but I find there is a fiddle factor and it takes longer to set up a hammock with whoopies than with the straps and Dutch Clips. Both systems work, its just a matter of deciding what works best for you,

Go with Dutch Gear Trap Flyz, 1.7mm Zing It and Dutch Ti Hooks (or get a pre made kit with the Dutch stuff from Whoopie Slings) or use the Whoopie Slings Single Line Tarp Ridge Line with a figure nine and a Knot bone. I use both set ups and both are easy to use and very light weight.

If you really want to cut some weight then get a Hammock Gear Winter Palace Cuben tarp, weights a massive 8.5 oz. Mine has the 12 ft ridge line, lots of coverage.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
    how much weight can you really cut from the stock setup? I think mine weighed in just over two pounds with way too much cordage! lol.
    Country Roads got her 1.1 single layer Blackbird down to a pound. Her video here. BearChaser got his to just under a pound. This is hammock, suspension, and stuff sack. And I think 2 stakes. Does not include tarp.

Taking off half the weight is impressive in my book.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 06-16-2013 at 07:20.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts