Ft. Collins area - day hikes and local info

Looking for a few day hike options that beat the crowds and still offer a good view and challenging hike. Any suggestions? I'll be there the 11th - 21st of this month.

Also, what other local info would be helpful? Average weather trends, park websites, etc. would be appreciated.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

I'm assuming you have not been to the Rockies before.

Altitude sickness:
    Drink more water than normal... a lot more.
    Beer will have a stronger effect than normal.
    Take it easy for the first 2-4 days while you acclimate.

Enjoy your visit!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Beating the crowds while staying in the Fort Collins area is tough. Fort Collins is a young crowd, and one that seems to rather enjoy the outdoors. That said, hiking on weekdays is your best bet, and that's true for pretty much anywhere. Drive up the 14 (NW of Fort Collins) and pull off at random trailheads. I've not been disappointed this way yet. Our favorite day hike, Young Gulch, is still closed from last year's High Park fire, unfortunately. Other very popular ones not terribly far into the canyon are Hewlett Gulch and Grey Rock, both of which I like. I've only lived in CO for 5 years or so, but none of the trails we've hiked have let us down yet.

Thanks for the leads! This will be my second visit to the mountains of CO. I'm definitely expecting to need a few days to adjust to the altitude before doing a hike.

I'm also eyeing Long's Peak to do with a friend or two. I've hiked Half Dome in Yosemite twice, so I assume Long's to be a step up from that because of the elevation.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Re: Ft. Collins area - day hikes and local info

Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    Thanks for the leads! This will be my second visit to the mountains of CO. I'm definitely expecting to need a few days to adjust to the altitude before doing a hike.

I'm also eyeing Long's Peak to do with a friend or two. I've hiked Half Dome in Yosemite twice, so I assume Long's to be a step up from that because of the elevation.
    Only issue with any of the 14ers is altitude sickness. I've read of CO natives getting it up there. You seem familiar with it, so just make sure you're aware and stay alert. It can sneak up on you and become fairly serious seemingly out of nowhere.

Familiar in a distant sense. I'm aware enough to see it coming and have experienced mild cases of it a few times.

I'm still trying to put together an itinerary for a day hike. Has anyone hiked Beirstadt to Sawtooth to Evans? It's just shy of 11 miles round trip (not too hard, but not easy in my book) and somewhere around 3000 feet of elevation change.

Any tips or suggested trails close to Ft. Collins? (Less than 2 hrs driving to trailhead)

• + New Posts