Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL,WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Could you give us very specific details about your setup (how its hung)
    Distance between trees, how tight is your ridgeline (a specific as possible), the angle of your suspension and the hieght of the head and foot end.

There are a lot of knobs to turn and one thing I have learned is that you don't get good results turning them all at once.

I will say it is vital that your suspension is sub 25deg and your head end is atleast 6" lower than your foot.
    It took me a while to realize how shallow 25deg looked until I used my finget and thumb to make an L for a right angle then used that to jidge yhe angle of my suspension.
    Once I getbset up right I put my fee in the foot box then pull my self way up toward the headend. I slowly slide back down until I feel flat (not like I'm laying to my side).
    Your body should be at roughly 25 deg off of the ridge line.

I have had my ridge line from tight to loose and have noticed (for me) it doesn't make as much difference as the other factors.

I'm a good 5 in shorter than you are though so that might make a difference.
    If you still can't get it dialed in try to buy or barrow and XLC with your hieght that might be the key.

Incidently I like a little calf ridge (though I can tune mine out completly) but it must fall just in the right spot under my knee makes me feel like I'm inbthe most comfortable recliner in the worl.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything; They just make the best of everything.

The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least. (unkown)

and of course There are A LOT of chickens in China.
    NPR correspondent-- Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Vtpilot1 View Post
    I feel ya man. I just got back from my first overnight in my new WBBB xlc. Didn't sleep nearly as good as I thought I would. I was plenty warm with my HG t/u quilts. I'm just normally a stomach sleeper, so ill give this a try a couple more times and hopefully chalk this up to inexperience and "hammock anxiety". I also have a Ridgerunner on the way so ill have both styles to try out and see what works for me. Worst case I'll just sell my WBBB and WBBB xlc and keep the RR.or vice versa.

Let us know how the RR does.I too am a stomach /side sleeper and have yet to enjoy a blissful sleep in my WBBB 1.1 after probably 25 nights.I think the back sleepers have it the best and the less you turn over, the better everything stays where you want it.The biggest problem with lots of moving is you create drafts and have to fiddle around ,which wakes you up.Just got back from a 2 night scout trip in PA with perfect temps and slept decent but not without sleep interuption. I too am bent on making it work and have been trying to convert to back sleeping which I am finding near impossible.I am 6ft and do not have the fabric ridge issue EXCEPT when on my side which causes me to curl up to avoid it.
    Keep us posted

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by used2fly View Post
    Let us know how the RR does.I too am a stomach /side sleeper and have yet to enjoy a blissful sleep in my WBBB 1.1 after probably 25 nights.I think the back sleepers have it the best and the less you turn over, the better everything stays where you want it.The biggest problem with lots of moving is you create drafts and have to fiddle around ,which wakes you up.Just got back from a 2 night scout trip in PA with perfect temps and slept decent but not without sleep interuption. I too am bent on making it work and have been trying to convert to back sleeping which I am finding near impossible.I am 6ft and do not have the fabric ridge issue EXCEPT when on my side which causes me to curl up to avoid it.
    Keep us posted
    Keep giving it time. Back sleepers do have it best. I was a stomach sleeper, until my back decided I wouldn't be anymore, and I am a side sleeping tosser and turner. The more I sleep in a hammock though the more I sleep on my back and the less I toss and turn. Now instead of tossing and turning all night or curling up fetal, I stay on my back and just kind of shift my hips from one side to the other a little bit. Now I don't have to deal with drafts from moving as much and once I'm in the sweet spot I stay there.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I sleep every way but my back in bed....
    I have had trouble falling asleep (getting few and far between now)
    But once I'm down I sleep really well.
    I think its a mind body thing.. Your head is saying this doesn't feel right but your body is well suported and comfortable.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything; They just make the best of everything.

The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least. (unkown)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I second the bridge hammock recommendations. I, like you, tried all sorts of solutions for the lower leg problems in many different kinds of gathered-end hammocks but just couldn't get comfortable enough for my liking. (I wonder if body type has anything to do with this? Has anyone studied this?) The WBRR was the solution - no lower leg problems, and wide enough for low to no shoulder squeeze.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It sounds like an 11 foot hammock with lots of sag would work out.
    If I put enough sag in one of my hammocks I can completely get rid of the calf ridge.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree that an 11' hammock without a dedicated footbox is probably the way to go.

My first thought was of how I got rid of the calf ridge on my WBBB by shortening the ridgeline by 3", but then I weigh only 155lbs. and it sounds like you have tried this already. I can see how your 240 lbs could be making it difficult, as you're stressing the material a lot more than someone of my stature.

Seems to me, with the BB, especially with its footbox, that by the time you shortened the ridgeline enough to make it comfortable for your 240lbs, calf ridge-wise, your lay shape would look more like a U than a banana.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: About To Give It Up

Tablecloth hammocks, either DIY or Dangerbirds, are Soooo comfy. Have you tried one??? I have a SL and DL that I made. Both are 90"x11' and I can stretch out any way I want!!! Side, stomach, back...no calf ridge. Please try other hammocks before you give up. Go to a group hang and try out several styles. Most folks, at least around here, are happy to let someone try laying in their hammocks. There are so many different kinds and they all feel differently from each other.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    I agree that an 11' hammock without a dedicated footbox is probably the way to go.

My first thought was of how I got rid of the calf ridge on my WBBB by shortening the ridgeline by 3", but then I weigh only 155lbs. and it sounds like you have tried this already. I can see how your 240 lbs could be making it difficult, as you're stressing the material a lot more than someone of my stature.

Seems to me, with the BB, especially with its footbox, that by the time you shortened the ridgeline enough to make it comfortable for your 240lbs, calf ridge-wise, your lay shape would look more like a U than a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    It sounds like an 11 foot hammock with lots of sag would work out.
    If I put enough sag in one of my hammocks I can completely get rid of the calf ridge.
    With a fixed lenght ridgeline would I accomplish this by letting out more strap and changing the angle? Does an extra foot in lenght make that big of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    I second the bridge hammock recommendations. I, like you, tried all sorts of solutions for the lower leg problems in many different kinds of gathered-end hammocks but just couldn't get comfortable enough for my liking. (I wonder if body type has anything to do with this? Has anyone studied this?) The WBRR was the solution - no lower leg problems, and wide enough for low to no shoulder squeeze.
    I think a lot of people like "their way" as the way to go but not having tried the bridge style hammock I think this is one of my options. I would like to stay with a gathered end style as I like everything about it,,,,,,except the calf ridge!

Quote Originally Posted by CLANKBANG View Post
    I sleep every way but my back in bed....
    I have had trouble falling asleep (getting few and far between now)
    But once I'm down I sleep really well.
    I think its a mind body thing.. Your head is saying this doesn't feel right but your body is well suported and comfortable.
    I'm the same way, not really a back sleeper in my sleep number bed.

Quote Originally Posted by CLANKBANG View Post
    Could you give us very specific details about your setup (how its hung)
    Distance between trees, how tight is your ridgeline (a specific as possible), the angle of your suspension and the hieght of the head and foot end.

There are a lot of knobs to turn and one thing I have learned is that you don't get good results turning them all at once.

I will say it is vital that your suspension is sub 25deg and your head end is atleast 6" lower than your foot.
    It took me a while to realize how shallow 25deg looked until I used my finget and thumb to make an L for a right angle then used that to jidge yhe angle of my suspension.
    Once I getbset up right I put my fee in the foot box then pull my self way up toward the headend. I slowly slide back down until I feel flat (not like I'm laying to my side).
    Your body should be at roughly 25 deg off of the ridge line.

I have had my ridge line from tight to loose and have noticed (for me) it doesn't make as much difference as the other factors.

I'm a good 5 in shorter than you are though so that might make a difference.
    If you still can't get it dialed in try to buy or barrow and XLC with your hieght that might be the key.

Incidently I like a little calf ridge (though I can tune mine out completly) but it must fall just in the right spot under my knee makes me feel like I'm inbthe most comfortable recliner in the worl.

My set up is 18 foot between trees. Straps hanging from 7 feet up the tree. I have a less than 30 degree angle as measured by my trusty Hangle level. The slack in the ridgeline is very loose when sitting and can be pushed up almost 90 degrees when laying down. I have tried a steeper angle, tighter ridgeline and higher/lower heights and it's all the same.

I did put a pad between layers (thermorest lite), as suggested earlier on, and it has lessened the calf pressure. Well, lets say it has spread out the material where the calf ridge is at but it is still there to some degree.
    I'm starting to think a longer, 11 foot, hammock may be the way to go if I stay with a gathered end style. The bridge is another option but I have my doubts as to how a comfortable lay is achieved for a side sleeper.

Once again, thanks for all the input and suggestions.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    The only thing I might say..
    Try closer trees 13"
    Tighten the suspension so you are much closer to 20deg and hang the foot sidr closer to the tree than the head.
    You may just be too big...
    Try XLC or call pappa smurf and get him to build you a dagnerbird or thunderbird.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast