Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images

About To Give It Up

As the title says, I'm about to give up hanging! I have bought the best, I considered and recommended here on HF, in gear and just can not get comfortable in my hammock.

Now let me say I have been at this for over a year now and still can seem to "get the hang of it". I have watched every Shug video, experimented with different hang angles and even tried another hammock but all to no avail.

My gear:
    Warbonnet Black Bird 1.7 Dbl.
    Warbonnet Superfly Tarp
    Hammock Gear Full Length UQ
    GoLite Mummy Center Zip Down Bag TQ
    I am 6ft. 3in. tall and weigh in at 240lbs.

As you can see I'm not working with shabby equipment here. By all measures this stuff should work for me. I love hammocking and all the nuance's that goes with it but I just can't sleep well.

The problem:
    The issue is the "leg bar" that I can not get rid of. I lay at an angle, feet in the foot box, but no matter how I lay I end up with the pulled tight material at the attachment point being very tight and eventually causing lower leg discomfort. When I try to lay on my side the "bar" pulls down even further and is just as uncomfortable.
    The top end is not a problem. I have never had an issue with shoulder squeezing or tightness, it's just at the bottom.

Help me out here people, don't let me go back to the ground, I couldn't make it
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Hey tall man, have you tried an 11' hammock?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Have you tried adjusting your ridgeline length? The 83% is merely a guideline, not a hard fast rule. Some people find more or less works for them. Also try sticking something under your knees, like a balled up jacket or pillow. I remember a thread where someone said they get into their hammock in what I consider to be backwards and that gets rid of the calf ridge for them. When I get in my hammock I get in on the same side that my feet will be going but this person said when they get in it's on the side where their head will be going and then spin around and that somehow gets rid of the ridge.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    for me, i found that with the normal wbbb 1.7 dl that it required alot of fiddle factor, yes the foot end a little higher and the ridgline really tight! still have some calf ridge but not so much as to bother me, the xlc on the other hand foot end ALOT higher little fiddle and BAM! there it is, i also like the switchback 1.9 dl as that gets strung up tight and no calf ridge but my feet push against the netting and there is some shoulder squeeze. the two 11 ft hammocks that i use most around the house are the the one off of woot cant remember brand name, but parachute nylon type and the diy 1.1 dl warbonnet clone .. those work pretty easily, just gotta have the sag and then when you get in go diagnal and it works for me,...
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    I had the same issue. Mine is a self-made hammock 10' in length. I first just gathered and whipped the ends, but I found that there was a hard ridge I just couldn't get comfortable with, so I sewed a channel in the ends and now hang it with a cord loop. That's much better, but I found that I get the best comfort by hanging looser than the recommended 30 deg. hang angle. Mine is more like 40 deg. and allows me to lay at a wider angle on the diagonal and much more comfortable. Try everything before giving up!!

For me, there's no going back to ground camping. I've had it with sore shoulders and hips and having to watch out for ants, animal droppings, soggy ground etc. etc. Never mind about trying to put tent pegs in rocky ground.....

I would go to a bridge hammock as a next step if my current setup wasn't working for me, but fortunately it's fine now.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    Flamingo style! I read somewhere on here that putting a leg under your other leg will help with that, and it's helped me quite a bit to get a better lay without that ridge through there.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57532

I think this thread may help too.

Images
    Your solution is simple: sell the WBBB and buy a bridge hammock. Most likely for your size you should just go straight for the larger WBRR.

Now I can't guarantee that you will be overall comfy in any hammock, a few folks just never can. And there MIGHT be some other non-bridge hammocks where you can escape the leg discomfort. I think there are some better than the WBBB in that regard, but no guarantees.

But I can virtually guarantee zero leg discomfort in any well made bridge. Really easy to insulate also. Good luck!
    Bill

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yes, a small pad or rolled up shirt or jacket can be a huge increase in leg comfort.

Have you tried other hammocks? Maybe a bridge hammock?

I also think it takes quite a few trips to tweak a hammock system and find what system actually works for you.. Some folks, myself included, have a hard time relaxing on the first night. I call this "hammock anxiety". They toss and turn, thinking if the system is set up right, is this how the videos explained it, am I gonna get eaten.., did I pack everything, should I ride a unicycle ???

As gear goes, you have made popular choices. What works for some, doesnt always work for others. Ford vs. Chevy or Honda vs. Harley...they all have their following. The same holds true here in hammockland. Some swear by the bridge hammock, some say 11+ feet is the only way? While others can sleep great in a tiny 8' hammock.

Find what works best for you and run with it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

About To Give It Up

Quote Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
    As the title says, I'm about to give up hanging! I have bought the best, I considered and recommended here on HF, in gear and just can not get comfortable in my hammock.

Now let me say I have been at this for over a year now and still can seem to "get the hang of it". I have watched every Shug video, experimented with different hang angles and even tried another hammock but all to no avail.

My gear:
    Warbonnet Black Bird 1.7 Dbl.
    Warbonnet Superfly Tarp
    Hammock Gear Full Length UQ
    GoLite Mummy Center Zip Down Bag TQ
    I am 6ft. 3in. tall and weigh in at 240lbs.

As you can see I'm not working with shabby equipment here. By all measures this stuff should work for me. I love hammocking and all the nuance's that goes with it but I just can't sleep well.

The problem:
    The issue is the "leg bar" that I can not get rid of. I lay at an angle, feet in the foot box, but no matter how I lay I end up with the pulled tight material at the attachment point being very tight and eventually causing lower leg discomfort. When I try to lay on my side the "bar" pulls down even further and is just as uncomfortable.
    The top end is not a problem. I have never had an issue with shoulder squeezing or tightness, it's just at the bottom.

Help me out here people, don't let me go back to the ground, I couldn't make it
    I feel ya man. I just got back from my first overnight in my new WBBB xlc. Didn't sleep nearly as good as I thought I would. I was plenty warm with my HG t/u quilts. I'm just normally a stomach sleeper, so ill give this a try a couple more times and hopefully chalk this up to inexperience and "hammock anxiety". I also have a Ridgerunner on the way so ill have both styles to try out and see what works for me. Worst case I'll just sell my WBBB and WBBB xlc and keep the RR.or vice versa.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast