Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Soft shackle to re-connect a cut structural ridge line?

Can a soft shackle be used to re-connect two parts of cut structural ridgeline?

I have a Hennessy Expedition classic and I'm finding that the built-in structural ridge line interferes with using the hammock it as a chair, so I'm going to cut the ridge line close to the entrance end and was thinking of use an amsteel soft shackle to reconnect the cut ends of the ridge line. That way I'll be able to disconnect the cut ridge line whenever I want to use the hammock as a chair and reconnect it when I need the ridge line in place for sleeping.

Can anyone think of any reason why an amsteel soft shackle should not be used in this way? Has anyone here tried this and do you recommend it?

My thanks for any input.

Cheers,
    - Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I haven't done that, but see no reason that wouldn't work. A 7/64" soft shackle would be plenty strong.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Having played with soft shackles to see if I could break one (have yet to), I would trust it. You might think about WHERE you're going to make the cut/connection and see if you can get additional use out of the placement of the soft shackle. Could it perhaps serve a second purpose by having it near your head or foot end? Maybe as an anchor point for something else attacted to your ridgeline, like a ridgeline organizer or a light.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That would work. A concern would be how you would make the fixed loops in the cut line for the soft shackle. I don't know what it's made from but if you want it to be a strong as possible, splicing is preferable. If you usually do not have a lot of tension on it, then using knots to make fixed loops for the soft shackle to go through would be fine. Another small challenge would be getting the modded RL to be exactly the same length as the original. Not a huge deal just something to work around.

As mentioned, having the soft shackle closer to the head end would allow a place to put a mini carabiner to attach something like a peak bag or a tether for a pillow. I made a detachable SRL for my BB for the same reasons you want to. It's a very handy mod.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    I have a single climbing ring at each end of my hammock as a rain break between my continuous amsteel loops and the rest of my suspension (whoopies and tree straps). My structural ridge line consists of a fixed length of amsteel with spliced loops at each end and an amsteel soft shackle connecting to each climbing ring.

That way I can undo one soft shackle to loosen the ridgeline for unobstructed chair mode, or just undo both soft shackles and remove it completely.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I have something very similar to anachronist. The difference is that I have an whoopie style adjustable ridge line. It's larks headed to one right with a soft shackle attaching it on the other end.

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. The reason I wanted to make the cut and place the soft shackle near the foot end is my hammock is a Hennessy with bottom entry. The entry is near the foot of the hammock, so if I was standing outside the hammock and wanted to undo the ridge line, it'd be easy to reach if the soft shackle were close to the foot end. If it were closer to the head, I'd have to get halfway in the hammock to undo the soft shackle.

I hadn't considered splicing the cut ends of the ridge line as Bubba suggested. I see how that would be advisable instead of just making a regular loop by knotting.

Anachronist, I'm afraid I'm not grasping what you're describing below. Do you happen to have a photo of what you mean? I'm still very new to hammocking, so even things that seem obvious are far from obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by anachronist View Post
    I have a single climbing ring at each end of my hammock as a rain break between my continuous amsteel loops and the rest of my suspension (whoopies and tree straps). My structural ridge line consists of a fixed length of amsteel with spliced loops at each end and an amsteel soft shackle connecting to each climbing ring.

That way I can undo one soft shackle to loosen the ridgeline for unobstructed chair mode, or just undo both soft shackles and remove it completely.
    Thank you all again for your input.
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I know absolutely nothing about a Hennessy but if you are putting a soft shackle in you might consider splicing a whoopie in as well to give you an adjustable ridgeline. I recently put in an adjustable RL and I like it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about a Hennessy but if you are putting a soft shackle in you might consider splicing a whoopie in as well to give you an adjustable ridgeline. I recently put in an adjustable RL and I like it.
    That is an absolutely terrific suggestion. Thanks canoebie.

- Martin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You guys are braver than me. I wouldn't mess with the Hennessy ridgeline; the fixed ridgeline is an integral part of the hammock design. You are likely to put strain on the bugnet and rip it without the ridgeline, or at least that's my fear.

But if you are going to mess with it, then I wouldn't just cut it (it will then end up shorter than it was designed). I would take it out intact, measure it, and replace it with Zing-It. If you found that an adjustable/removeable ridgeline was not a good idea, you could always revert to the original ridgeline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast