Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm more worried about the tiny ridgeline rather than the suspension ropes.
    The ridgeline is small, but is made of Dyneema. It is more than strong enough for a properly setup hang.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    When I had a BEEP (HH bottom entry), I hung my Explorer high and tight. It always sagged a lot when I got in it.

Now that I have a #2 Bugnet Zipper Mod from 2Q/ZQ, making my HH a top loader, I hang the hammock low and loose. It tends to stay just where I put it when I get in.

At first, things are so loose that the ridgeline and bugnet are piled in the hammock. I tighten the suspension until the ridgeline rises out of the hammock, and I stop tightening when the ridgeline begins to have some tension.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The ridgeline is small, but is made of Dyneema. It is more than strong enough for a properly setup hang.
    AS - Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've been asking and searching around w/o much luck...until now! I'll have to Google search dyneema and read about its properties.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'll have to Google search dyneema and read about its properties.
    Wikipedia entry for Dyneema
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    my ridgeline is actually somewhat loose when I load the explorer. I have no concerns whatever about the stress on the structural ridgeline.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Once you get in and your body weight pulls the hammock body down and the ridgeline tight then the amount of sag will be set. You cannot change it.
    The structural ridgeline sets the minimum sag, but you can set up a Hennessy with more sag, if you wish. If you do, the ridgeline will sag as well, and you might have netting in your face.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    dont know the actual weight but i popped mine(HH backpacker) when i was converting to a ringbuckle set up. ripped the netting also as the plastic hooks came flying at me. I was not in the hammock but using it as a chair. I sense retied with the leftover cord I cut off the guylines. havent had anymore issues.

Im sure it was my fault as I was pushing and straining it. I didnt want to bust my butt laying in it when i was first testing the ring buckle set up. I weigh 190lbs and was exerting 250lbs i guess bouncing a little while using as a chair. Those plastic hooks hurt when and if it snaps. New warning sticker: wear eye protecting when being a dumbass and exerting too much force in hammock testing tensile strength.
    thought this might be useful in this thread.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I like my hammock fairly high off the ground. I usually hang my suspensions ropes just above head height (6' or so) and just barely tension the ridgeline. Just so it's taut but not tight. I'll even let it droop a little at times. Once I'm in I am good to go and don't drop much during the night. Before I was cranking that rope as tight as I could. I'd get in and by morning I was butt touching on the ground. It seems counter intuitive, but it works for me. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    If I do it right, I can attach my tarp ridge line to the carabiner, eliminating the need to go around the tree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    I am totally stealing this idea. Why did I not think of this sooner
    This sounds similar to the HH tarp to suspension prussick hooks concept, and also their idea of how to use skins concept: They wrap the stock tarp up inside the skins along with the hammock. That way when they tie the ropes to the trees, the taro is already hung and tensioned correctly. I know most folks don't like the idea of wrapping the hammock up in a wet tarp, but that is the HH approach, anyway. Regardless, it sounds similar to attaching the tarp to the HH suspension line prussick hooks.

If the tarp is attached to the carabiners, is there any less tarp sag after laying down than there is when attaching to the suspension Prussicks?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If the tarp is attached to the carabiners, is there any less tarp sag after laying down than there is when attaching to the suspension Prussicks?
    There is very little sag in the tarp mostly because the hammock suspension
    strap carabiners are tight against the tree. I currently use Figure 9's on the tarp line to the carabiner and can adjust how high I want the tarp to be over the hammock.

In inclement weather, the tarp tensioners pull the tarp down when I loosen the figure 9's. Good weather, pull it tight, and use my Lekis poles to create an awning.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast