Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Smokies Denied=Max Patch,Mtn-2-Sea Trail

Made the reservations via the GSMNP website, drive down, discover the trails and the campsites we were to use were all closed. We learned the hard way in the past not to ignore trail closings. Given a lemon we make lemonade and drive an hour to the trail head for Max Path. On the summit we meet 2 thru-hikers who tell us 1 mile south on the AT is a lot of 'hangers'. We meet 8 more using hammocks in a random group hang which including us makes 10 suspending fabric between trees
    After Max Patch we head to the Parkway and the Mountain to Sea Trail.
    It turns out to also be a Vargo weekend-we get to play with the Vargo Ti Box Grill and the Vargo BOT. I get to show off my home made tulle bug net-construction time 5 minutes, but it works.
    Overall a great weekend meeting other hangers, playing with new gear, and seeing some great beauty.
    When I get home a slithering surprise on my carport:

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Thanks for another nice trip report. I loved the TL of the Milky Way.

Images
    Another great video MM. We need to get the tribe together for a hike; let's make Poof the cruise director for the eastern side of GSMNP.

Hangnout and I were able to do a little hike this weekend and we saw the effects of the rain; glad you had a plan B at the ready.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Another good one ... and impressed how you made good of a bad situation! Devil's Courthouse huh ... actually climbed that one by moonlight on a dare once back in the day!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Hawk-eye I bet you climbed the face too...you know we walked up the asphalt path!
    Roche agreed with the get-together but not with Poof guiding the tour....you did notice you and everybody was invited to the Greenbriar River Trail annual ride-it's in two weeks, posted here at HF. And Roche, your little hike was what, close to 40 miles of Smoky terrain in 3 days. For me I wouldn't call that little but a huge physical achievement. I'm glad HNO got out of his cage for some woods time.
    Plan B? There was no Plan B until we had to have one. I admit I've got a sour taste for the new reservation system in the Park now....no way to change you plans without internet or a ranger and neither of those were there when we needed them. In the end though it turned out to be a great weekend.
    Bonepile thanks....but technically that Milky Way sucked. All you have to do is forget one thing...I never thought it'd get into the 40s with dew. What I needed to do was wrap the lens with the chemical heat warmers we use in winter, wrap with a sock and a piece of tape-live and learn

Excellent video, I just finished 48hrs of work, and from the hustle and bustle to the calming of your adventure was truly needed. Thanks for that

Wonderful look into the BCC (BOT Caldera Cone), looks like you have a winning combo when coupled with the grill.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Spruce Goose
    Tarp
    HG CF Airstream
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Mr Hankey
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Another awesome video MM! I love Max Patch. That is so cool how the trip worked out despite it not following original plans (Lemons = Lemonade). BTW, I like the bugnet. Thanks for bringing us along. Cheers!
    MEDICINE
    MAN
    The GAME '03

Medicine Man's YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Great video of an interesting trip. Thanks for sharing!

Curious - in the pictures at the end is a round tool, maybe trowel? What is it?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    MedicineMan, another great video. Sorry you didn't get to Mt. Sterling, but the alternative was great. Loved the tulle bugnet as well--thinking I may need to make a couple of nets from some of that--did you get it at JoAnn's? Thanks for taking the time to make such good trip reports--thoroughly enjoyable.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yoda 48 hours is a long shift! Still studying the BOT and the Grill...no big decisions yet...oh forgot to tell you I CANNOT get the Candiru to spark back to the drawing board on that. Might just carry a bit of hacksaw blade for that.

LesRust- the tulle came from Hancock but I'm sure Joanne has it too. Was an easy 10 minute mod with most of the time looking for the scissors and tying the double fisherman.

MM03-my name sake! Thanks for the kinds words. I bet you do remember Max Patch
    from your thru-hike. I was there a couple months ago doing another timelapse. It is
    a wonderful place. 3/4 mile south on the AT from the summit is hangers heaven with close access to the bald for morning or night time viewing. It would be a great place for a group hang.

Northermark you have a good eye. That is part of my hiking pole, you pull off a sleeve and the long pike is revealed. It is very sharp and about a 10 inch blade. A sleeve on the other end reveals a digging 'stick' type end, good for tubers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast