DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If that's how you hung it, and you used the standard JoAnne's ripstop (and that the ripstop there is roughly comparable to the one near me...oldgringo, as usual, has a very pertinent point about changing stock), I'd say that one of three things likely happened:

1.) Something in your pocket or on your person abraded it. A knife, a rivet on your jeans, your car keys falling out of your pocket, even a metal clasp on the back of your hat, all could have caused a tiny tear somewhere in the weave. Put weight in it, and...

2.) You hung it too low one time and brushed something on the ground. As above, except from below.

3.) There was a flaw in the material. Not all ripstop is created equal, and the grid in the ripstop isn't meant to stop a tear with your body weight behind it--it's meant to stop smallish tears with the weight of a garment behind 'em. Given a small flaw in the fabric, well...

Best guesses, anyway. I could be wrong (again), but...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

How did you post my pictures? There was a picture of where it is starting to tear and it is lengthwise. Today was only the third time I hung it and it in the same place, never hit the ground, never had a knife or keys in there with me. Something on my shorts maybe, didn't wear a hat. Yes, I folded in half and then forward and back or bringing the two ends to meet in the middle, as was explained for the "w" fold on Jeff's page. Not sure if I. Did the right thing then, if it is going to be that easy to tear. Thanks for the help and posting my pics.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwpimpin View Post
    How did you post my pictures? There was a picture of where it is starting to tear and it is lengthwise. Today was only the third time I hung it and it in the same place, never hit the ground, never had a knife or keys in there with me. Something on my shorts maybe, didn't wear a hat. Yes, I folded in half and then forward and back or bringing the two ends to meet in the middle, as was explained for the "w" fold on Jeff's page. Not sure if I. Did the right thing then, if it is going to be that easy to tear. Thanks for the help and posting my pics.
    For me, the W fold blew through my first hammock. Other folks seem happy with it. The "knotty" style works great for me. I'm 225lb though..

Here's a quote of your photo post..

You've got too much info. The only bit that's needed is the bit in blue.

Oops, just noticed I highlighted too much. You don't need the [ /url ] either.

Thanks. All I saw that showed up when I posted it was IMG. So I guess I will start over cause it looks like I will be waiting for my WBBB. Wish I would have realized i wanted a hammock earlier over a tent and would have ordered earlier. Any ideas where I can get some good fabric? My Walmart doesn't carry and now I would like to get some camo print. Given what has happened i eould like to order from someone who has had luck. Boon booni, what did kind of rope did you use when you used the knotty method? Thanks again, I appreciate all the feedback.

One more question. Do you see how I am in the hammock? Is that normal? All the pictures and videos I have seen nobody seems to be wrapped as much as a cocoon as I am. That is why I was originally concerned that I was pulled too tight. Again, not so worried about mine, it didn't cost much but if I rip my WBBB, you may hear me screaming from the trail!

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    I have only used the ripstop from JoAnn and Hancock Fabrics and have never had an issue. I can see small pinholes in one of mine that i have used over twenty times now though. That one has been through the ringer with no failures thus far.

The shoulder squeeze (cocoon) you mentioned might be due to the short hanging span.

Another thing you might want to look into is a ridge line. Good job though, you're on the right track!
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

Thanks. Yes, a structural ridgeline is in definitely in my plans but haven't found anything good on the Internet with the way I had my ends gathered. Now that i will be changing to the knotty method i may have better luck 'cause those are the videos i have seen so far. I thought the span I had to hang may have been a problem but I don't have any good trees to hang from. This is all making me feel better, thought I really had it all wrong, no experience with any of this. A complete noob, pretty much started sewing the day I realized I wanted one and just tried to get everything locally. How wide should I make my channel to put my string through? It doesn't look like much and those are all still straight stitches?

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwpimpin View Post
    This is all making me feel better, thought I really had it all wrong, no experience with any of this. A complete noob, pretty much started sewing the day I realized I wanted one and just tried to get everything locally. How wide should I make my channel to put my string through? It doesn't look like much and those are all still straight stitches?
    Don't worry about being new, we all started somewhere. And i bet we all learn new stuff all the time. The reason the concept of hammocks being so easily evolved is because there's always something new!

I make my end channels about 3/4" wide with a 3/8" rolled hem injected prior to making the channel. I use 3/4" because i don't want a huge ball on the end for stuffing in the bishop bag. And everything i do have straight stitches and have had no problems with them coming undone.
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Just curious, have you checked out Shug's videos for newbies? Great info for starting out. You could a structural ridgeline on your setup easy peasy. I did an adjustable one from zing it for my first hammock...thread the suspension through the end loops, hang the hammock, then set the ridgeline.

Congrats on the wbbb, so far my favorite hammock...but I have a lot left to try. Oh, for fabric just go straight to DIY Gear Supply, great customer service and quick turnaround.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Is it possible you purchased Taffeta instead of ripstop nylon? If you have purchased appropriate nylon, you have one of the problems already stated. Some times a little tiny puncture can lead to a big rip. It sounds more like it is a flaw or the wrong type of fabric. A easy mistake for someone new to sewing/oops, gear making.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast