Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL-A & BIAS Weight Wenn
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20

Hello from Oxford, MS

Just getting started with hammock backpacking. Been doing tents for a long time now. Used to hang years ago around the lake for overnight water skiing trips. We would ski til dark, camp out & then start skiing in the morning. Do most of our hiking in the Smokies now.

I'm sorting through ALL of the information here to try and figure out a good place to start. I had decided on a HH before finding this site but now I'm not sure. I like the sound of the Bias hammocks. Just trying to determine the best solution for me without wasting a bunch of money...

By the way, this is a great forum. Lots of excellent interaction & sharing of experiences and information. I'm really happy that I found it.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Hello from Oxford, MS

Awesome, we have another from ms joining our ranks! I'm in Jackson.

Images
    Welcome, JAF, from just down the road in Tupelo! Sometime I work in Batesville and travel through Oxford on the way and stop for breakfast at Huddle House on West Jackson, or at Back Yard Burgers for late lunch on the way back.

You could do worse than an HH Explorer UL, but there are lots of other good choices also. WB or JRB Bridge hammocks, Claytor No Nets, BIAS and many others. I guess it is tough in a way, with so many good choices. OTOH, it is hard to go bad wrong! Just pick something and get to hanging! ( then you are going to figure out how to insulate the bottom also, and guess what: more excellent items/brands to choose from. Welcome to the madness!
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-17-2013 at 15:30.

Images
    Welcome to the addiction friend. Fellow hanger from Clinton (outside Jackson). As you can see from my side bar, I'm a HH guy. In the process of doing a DIY HH knock off but love my Expl.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL-A & BIAS Weight Wenn
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20

Great to see other Mississippi People here

This is a great forum. I've already had a pm offer from someone in Oxford to try out their HH Explorer. Plus, all of you that have replied to my post. I'm in Jackson pretty regular for work so I know that area well. Also travel to Tupelo often.

That's my problem now is that there are a lot of good choices in picking hammocks, traps, slings, insulation, etc. I'm looking forward to getting my hammock ordered & here so I can start enjoying it.

Thanks,

Tony

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Welcome from michigan! I lived in sumrall for a short time, my brother still lives there. Glad to have ya!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    This is a great forum. I've already had a pm offer from someone in Oxford to try out their HH Explorer. Plus, all of you that have replied to my post. I'm in Jackson pretty regular for work so I know that area well. Also travel to Tupelo often.

That's my problem now is that there are a lot of good choices in picking hammocks, traps, slings, insulation, etc. I'm looking forward to getting my hammock ordered & here so I can start enjoying it.

Thanks,

Tony
    If you have not already made up your mind, we can meet in between Oxford and Tupelo at Trace State Park and you can try out a bunch of different hammocks. If you are less than 250-300 that is, I only have two hammocks for sure rated above 300. You could check out insulation also, but too danged hot to stand it. Guess you could look! ( then again, you say you are in Jackson mostly, and that as you know is not all that close)

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Hello from Oxford, MS

Sounds like we need to get a MS group hang going.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 4.0
    Tarp
    Amok

I have MS connections too

I went to Mississippi College and I know folks in Tupelo and Clinton. My old track/CC coach just retired from Ole Miss. I ran the most recent Tupelo Half Marathon and the race coordinator is a good friend. I had the owner of Mama Hamil's Southern Cooking , in Ridgeland, in class and was his track coach in shot and disc.
    If anybody finds themselves in Jackson, MS and needs a place to eat, Hamil's is the place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast