Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always

HH Explorer or Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So here is one of them now! That is, the HH fan vs WBBB. Good to hear from you on this, BH! I have never tried a Papa Smurf or Bias, I am falling behind the curve!
    As I mentioned earlier I sold my HH DJ. I should've mentioned the buttery soft material was the most comfortable to the hand of any hammock I have ever personally have slept in.

I unloaded it more due to the weight, not the comfort. As I also mentioned, my BB's rarely get any love now with an 8 oz setup, so the nearly 2 lb DJ just never left the stash!

I do miss her, but at least someone is using her!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I sure like my WBBB

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Warning: Incoming wall of text

Both are great hammocks, and you can't go wrong with either one. I have used both the BB and HH (Exped, BPUL and Hyperlight)

The BB would probably have a slight (I emphasize slight, as it's not very much) edge in comfort due to just being a longer hammock. The shelf is a nice feature but its use is limited IMO - it can only handle lighter items as heavier items tend to weigh it down and hang right next to and you'll be bumping into them all night. That, and you need to be careful that nothing you put in there can snag the netting and cause runs. The footbox provides a nice pocket for your feet, but doesn't affect comfort IME. It serves the same function as the asymmetric tie outs on the HH. Being a gathered whipped end it has slightly (again, very slight) more pronounced calf ridge.

At 5' 11" 180 lbs I find that the Expedition/Backpacker/Hyperlight (being even shorter than the Explorer) is comfortable enough for my needs - but I'm definitely in the minority in that aspect. The Explorer of course should provide even more comfort being even longer. Without a shelf item storage is limited to the RL and RL organizer. The folded and gathered end provides slightly less calf ridge than the whipped and gathered end. The asymmetric tie outs provide a well defined head and foot area.

Differences:

Stock Suspension: The BB has the strap/buckle suspension which is easier to adjust but requires either optional carabiners, nacrabiners or dutchware on the tree straps for the greatest ease of use, but is functional out of the bag. The HH ropes/lashing is lacking in ease of adjustability, and is also functional out of the bag. A change in lashing to knots (midshipmans hitch) can address the adjustability as well as adding rap rings/carabiners. Both hammocks have users that have switched the suspension to whoopie slings, so for me that isn't a factor that adds/deducts any points to either. Both require additions for ultimate ease of use, but the BB has the slight edge in suspension (non modified) due to adjustability.

Tarp: BB you select your tarp. HH most often comes as a package (from REI, ebay etc) with the small diamond tarp. If ordered direct from HH, you have the option to upgrade to the Hex (often for free) or order just a hammock and select a tarp from elsewhere if you prefer something different. I give the HH a slight edge here for the free tarp upgrade. At any rate, I own multiple tarps for different uses and I'd imagine I'm not alone, so even with the small tarp package it's not really a detriment if you find you want a bigger tarp. Whatever tarp you start with will likely not be the only tarp you ever buy. IMO.

Bugnet: The BB bugnet stays off of your face as long as you utilize the tie out on the head side, and you have the strip of nylon below the bugnet that attches to the zipper that restricts your view when laying in the hammock zipped up. The HH bugnet is closer to your face with the tie out utilized and proves a clearer view with the hammock zipped up. If you dont utilize the tie outs the bugnet on either sags on your face.

The biggest difference here is where the tie outs are connected. On the BB they are connected to the upper section bugnet and on the HH they are connected on the hammock itself. With the tie out staked to the ground on the BB, you have to duck under the bugnet to get in/load the hammock. With the HH (zip models) staked to the ground you can walk up and get in/load the hammock with out ducking under the net.

For me the last two factors (view and accessability) are why I like my HH's and they more frequently end up in my pack.

Snakeskins: BB you must purchase (or make) them. If ordered from HH, free. Of course if you don't want or like snakeskins this is a non issue.

It comes down to what factors are the most important to you - weight/comfort/features/cost. Neither the BB or the HH will win any UL awards, and are generally competitive in the weight category. As suggested earlier, it would be best if you could try each (and even different manufacturers) to make a decision, but failing that look at your needs and wants and go with what you think will meet those the best. Between the two, you can't go wrong with either one. They are both great hammocks and both companies provide excellent customer support.

As always JMO, YMMV HYOH etc etc.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Another thing I liked about the HH DJ XL over the BB is that the DJ is a double layer and I could slide in a pad. The DJ is heavy and I only use it for car camping, but if I had to I could hike with it. ( I switched out the suspension to whoopies, so a bit lighter now) I just prefer to use my lighter hammocks for that. I am 5' 9 and I find the shorter DJ, Expedition and Hyperlite too short for my liking. The DJ XL is very nice and seems so much larger.
    I did like the shelf and footbox on the WBBB, but I think the calf ridge is what turned me off, and not being able to see out the side with the shelf.

That is just my preference and as the popularity of the WBBB attests to, others may disagree. However; as I mentioned earlier, I would like to try the WB XLC as it is a longer hammock and I think the calf ridge is gone. One day I will try it.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Eno Dbl. Nest, wbbb xlc dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    12' Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies, cinch
    wbbb all the way! much better lay!

Hammock
    WB XLC, ENO DN, GT Double, Henn Exp
    Tarp
    Henn Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Hey Brother. I'm 265 and 6" and I own a Henn Exp. I would recommend the WBBB I simply cannot get my legs comfortable with the design of the Henn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing
    I love my WBBB. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Ok I've decided on the wbbb. which suspension should I go with I'm leaning toward the webbing. Also the delivery time says 3 to 4 weeks is that accurate or do they pad the wait times? Thanks all!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing
    It is pretty close. In May, my Blackbird took about 4 weeks, but my Superfly shipped in 2 weeks. The tarp was ordered June 6. Whatever the wait, Brandon does great work, it is sooo worth it!

The webbing system ROCKS....don't forget to order carabiners.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: HH Explorer or Blackbird

I have to go with the WBBB recommendation as well. I'm 6'4 and 260 and sleep like a log in my BB.

Great design and worth the wait.
    Coffee?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123