WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I'm not a bigger guy, but I love my BB. Keep in mind that while the HH comes with a tarp,a lot of people seem to replace the tarp for larger, lighter options.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Have you looked at the WB XLC, that is one sweet looking hammock and has a footbox and shelf. Longer may be better for you. I like a longer hammock, it is so much more comfortable. Just my $.02. Good luck to you. Also, the HH DJ XL is very nice and I love the feel of the fabric. It is a double layer. You can also go for the hex tarp for a few extra bucks if you go with a HH hammock. Definitely worth the extra money for the extra coverage.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    I've never used a HH Explorer, but I owned an Expedition that I quickly replaced with a HH Deep Jungle. As many have suggested, with your specs a double layer may be most comfortable. That stated I no longer have the DJ, but I do still have 2 BB's. a DL 1.0 and a SL 1.7, so you can probably decipher which one I personally prefer.

Both are great products. If weight savings are something you believe will ever be a concern of yours then think ahead and consider the XLC with the removable net, the earlier mentioned DL BIAS or a Dream Hammock. I mention this because, although my Blackbirds are great products, they rarely get any love/use.

I'm island camping this weekend where weight isn't a concern so maybe I should use one!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on the BB. The footbox in it adds that small touch that makes it the most comfortable gathered-end hammock I've ever used.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Images
    Funny, I have noticed this before: These threads always seem to end up with an overwhelming recommendation for WBBB from people that have used both. Seems most of the responses for the HHs are from people who have not used the WBBB, but are really happy with their HH.

But, I know for a fact there are some people here who have used both and either find it a toss up with each having it's pros and cons(I probably am in that category), or some who actually outright prefer the HH.

I know they are out there, but don't seem to hear from those folks much on these threads. Or maybe I am just missing their post. I'm going to look back over this thread and see if just missed them!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Inc./EE RevX
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I doubt this will be very helpful but I just recently purchased my first hammock. It's a Hennessy Expedition. I don't at all regret the purchase as it is the most comfortable sleeping I've had while camping however I do think that if I could do it again I would go with a different system. For me it was a toss up between the BB and HH but I decided on the Hennessy because it was a complete set. Problem is after a few uses I'm fairly certain I'll be purchasing a new tarp which brings the price to within a few dollars of a BB and tarp. That said I actually think I'd elect to go with a modular system.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Funny, I have noticed this before: These threads always seem to end up with an overwhelming recommendation for WBBB from people that have used both. Seems most of the responses for the HHs are from people who have not used the WBBB, but are really happy with their HH.
    BillyBob, I have been doing some research here as to which hammock to get (or which to clone as I will attempt to make one). It seemed to me 9/10 that used both seemed to prefer the WBBB. It seemed to be an overwhelming preference. But perhaps WBBB owners are just more vocal here?
    Now I mention an "overwhelming" preference but to be clear statistically the preference is skewed toward WBBB but each user mentions that it is a slight preference of one over the other when there is a preference.
    It seems to me both are excellent products and worth the money.
    J

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had a WBBB and I still have my HH DJ XL.. I preferred the DJ, I just couldn't get as comfortable in the WBBB. I would like to try the new WB XLC though. I do love my Papa Smurf ThunderBird. So take it for what's it worth.
    Last edited by Cali; 06-18-2013 at 14:14.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    Another big guy here. 6'0", 287-292lbs depending on lunch . I'm partial to the WBBB 1.7DL.
    Sleep System: WBBB 1.7 DL
    Suspension: OEM Webbing
    Insulation:KAQ Lost River UQ & Thermarest-Ridgerest pad - GoLite UltraLite 3-Season Quilt
    Tarp: 8x10 polyethylene camoflage tarp

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IDJAY View Post
    BillyBob, I have been doing some research here as to which hammock to get (or which to clone as I will attempt to make one). It seemed to me 9/10 that used both seemed to prefer the WBBB. It seemed to be an overwhelming preference. But perhaps WBBB owners are just more vocal here?
    Now I mention an "overwhelming" preference but to be clear statistically the preference is skewed toward WBBB but each user mentions that it is a slight preference of one over the other when there is a preference.
    It seems to me both are excellent products and worth the money.
    J
    Right, that was my point exactly: that " It seemed to me 9/10 that used both seemed to prefer the WBBB. It seemed to be an overwhelming preference." I agree, that's what I see, but like I said I know for a fact that there are a good bit more than a few that either find some of the HHs equal to, and some who flat out prefer the HH. I'm sure it is not as many as prefer the WBBB, but still most of those who prefer the HH don't seem to post an opinion. Therefore, it usually seems overwhelming in favor of the WBBB. But I don't think the preference is quite as overwhelming as it seems, because there are some HH advocates not responding.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I had a WBBB and I still have my HH DJ XL.. I preferred the DJ, I just couldn't get as comfortable in the WBBB. I would like to try the new WB XLC though. I do love my Papa Smurf ThunderBird. So take it for what's it worth.
    So here is one of them now! That is, the HH fan vs WBBB. Good to hear from you on this, BH! I have never tried a Papa Smurf or Bias, I am falling behind the curve!

Hey, I guess I should comment while I am at it:
    WBBB pros: foot room, shelf, roomy net well away from my face, great suspension, better than HH for side sleeping with legs straight
    WBBB cons: harder to avoid calf pressure

HH Explorer UL pros: Way less likely to have calf pressure, though it occasionally happens. At least as comfy for my back or fetal position, maybe even a tad better for fetal, but not sure of that last one. And works good with a Super Shelter, which I personally am a fan of.

Sort of a sub-category/heading: possibly a weight + weather proofing advantage: when using the HHSS, built into the weight of the HHSS insulation is the great wind and rain blocker that is the Undercover. Which allows excellent protection from all types of cold/wet weather even when using the small diamond HH tarp which only weighs about 11 oz.
    cons: Not quite as comfy for side sleeping with legs straight as WBBB, and more difficult to keep mossy net far enough from my face.

Both are good though!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-18-2013 at 20:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast