Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    There may be some truth to that, but there is another way to look at it. This has been discussed here many times and I've been back and forth from one side of the fence to the other, but here it is: The Clark is a 'complete' set-up, at least in theory (and I'm talking the NA versions, 200, 250). It is a hammock, tarp, weather shield, and insulation.

Yeah, that's why I was willing to part with the money back when I purchased the camo NA. With the XL fly it was a pretty nice package and the price didn't seem completely out-of line given the features. Personally I think including insulation in that is pretty iffy. The pockets are OK, but there is no way they completely replace the need for under insulation or compare in any way to a down under-quilt or DAM. I've tried with just gear in the pockets and my backside and feet get numb from cold well up into the 50's.

It is a neat concept. I'm am really interested to see how it pans out with people who purchase one. Maybe I can be convinced but honestly it's probably too heavy for my backpacking tastes and I can't see buying it just for a car camping setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Personally I think including insulation in that is pretty iffy. The pockets are OK, but there is no way they completely replace the need for under insulation or compare in any way to a down under-quilt or DAM. I've tried with just gear in the pockets and my backside and feet get numb from cold well up into the 50's.
    Oh, I totally agree about the pockets for insulation. I don't think it would work for me, I'm too spoiled. But, it has worked for some people. The question to me is how much extra clothing do you have to carry to make it work. I'm not a fan of debris (leaves and such) in my hammock, even on the outside. In an emergency, fine. Otherwise, I'll keep my down!

But, the encolosed weather shield is going to result in being able to carry a lighter weight (less expensive) top quilt, so I do have to give some credit to the warmth factor built into the price. Still, subtract $185 (WB Yeti) from my set-up and you still come up with $385 and I still don't have a weather shield included in my set-up. Mostly cause I'm tough like that.

I do not have a Clark and have never slept in one, so these are only observations gleaned from seeing them in action and reports here on HF. I do have to say that I have been speaking with the Clark folks for about a month or so about the Vertex. I've really been trying to find a reason that I should not get one! Haven't had any luck with that BTW. But, they are very responsive to questions and it was very obvious that they were trying to find work-arounds to any problems I had. To the point where they asked me what mod needed to be made in order for a certain piece of gear to work and then told me that mod would be made to my hammock prior to delivery. That's pretty good service in my book. It wasn't required in the end, but that too was because of very good communication between us resulted in a better understanding on my part. Not saying others wouldn't do it too, but it was refreshing coming from a company I have never dealt with and they offered...I never asked.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    They do have great customer service. Having availed myself of it in the past I completely agree on that point. That alone is worth a little extra.

Also the weathershield is a real warmth enhancement. So much so that I can't seem to bring myself to go without it and thus the reason I keep coming back to the TX-200 with that added as my next hammock. My 5yr old wants to try a hammock and if she likes it then I may let her take the NA and get myself the TX-200. I keep toying with a Claytor but I keep coming back to wanting the weathershield.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That weathershield has been what makes me want one too. I haven't heard anything negative about them yet. But, I'm worried that it will spoil me the way down UQs have spoiled me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Just wanted to add my +1 on the customer service.
    The Clark people are great to deal with.

And another +1 on the weathershield. It absolutely boosts the temperature inside the hammock.

With all of the positive reviews of the Blackbird, I've been tempted to try one. But I'll wait until there's a well thought out top-cover offered by Warbonnet.

The one enhancement on this new Clark that I wish my NX-200 had . . . the weathershield zipping to the bug-net (instead of its separate zipper track).

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Personally I think including insulation in that is pretty iffy. The pockets are OK, but there is no way they completely replace the need for under insulation or compare in any way to a down under-quilt or DAM. I've tried with just gear in the pockets and my backside and feet get numb from cold well up into the 50's.
    as most of you know I have both the NA and the 200 and when I use both of them I do dump my contents of my backpack in the pockets with my clothing I am not using near my kidneys and back and the rest towards my feet. With that being said I have gotten pretty cool in it with out a pad of some kind most of you have read something that I have posted about the gear I use in my KIT and the pad I use is a cheap guide series air pad not the best buy far but it does keep me warm. I believe that if you have a good bag rated for just over what the temps will be and you wear proper clothing to bed you should do just fine to below freezing and even temps below that. As some have done before. I have had several email's in the past about folks getting cold and I asked what they where using for a top cover and clothes and believe it or not most are wearing cotton to bed in cold weather. I try to explain that if you stick a piece of wood in the freezer and you stick a piece of metal in the freezer that they will both be the same temperature but the metal will certainly feel colder and that is how insulation works. Some of those others are wearing cotton under there poly or what ever there wearing and that defeats the purpose of the insulation.

I know that Clark has said that you could use leaf litter or the like as insulation and to close up the dead air space but that is with conjunction of other pieces of equipment and clothing.

Never once have I heard or seen anywhere that you could use just the pockets for insulation all tho it can help but it must be done with good quilt or a sleeping bag which is how I use it.

hope everyone has a good weekend and get's there hang onnnnnnnn

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I found that quote a little strange - I've never seen anyone selling anything that looked even remotely like a clark knockoff.
    Maybe not the hole package but I do know of one that copyied a couple of there things kinda indirectly and I am not going to get into a slamming war so don't even ask but if you look closely to some out there you can see it.

But then again if you look at the tarp that they have with there's it's a cat cut tarp and how many have used it they certainly did that had to be someone's idea.

but as for a complete knockoff you are right I have not seen one yet.
    and that is a good point. maybe the verbiage should have been different (it's not what you say it's how you say it.)

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    All I am saying is that you can't look at hammock X and say you need tarp, and underquilt to complete it, and then look at the Clark and say you don't need the underquilt with it so just include that in the price of the Clark. I do think, as you said, that you can get away with LESS than you would without them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    All I am saying is that you can't look at hammock X and say you need tarp, and underquilt to complete it, and then look at the Clark and say you don't need the underquilt with it so just include that in the price of the Clark. I do think, as you said, that you can get away with LESS than you would without them.
    I agree with you 100% and you are very right about that.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Just wanted to add my +1 on the customer service.
    The Clark people are great to deal with.

And another +1 on the weathershield. It absolutely boosts the temperature inside the hammock.

With all of the positive reviews of the Blackbird, I've been tempted to try one. But I'll wait until there's a well thought out top-cover offered by Warbonnet.

The one enhancement on this new Clark that I wish my NX-200 had . . . the weathershield zipping to the bug-net (instead of its separate zipper track).
    I'll echo Raw's comments: The first time I needed to use the weathershield on my NX-200, I was shocked at how well it kept cold air out of the hammock. The thing made a huge difference. That one piece of fabric is a work of genius.

That said, I use a CCF pad. The pockets seem to me to be a good idea for keeping warm, but they are huge and take a lot of gear to fill them. I've found the one near my head to be super convenient for storing gear I need easy access to when I'm in the hammock.

When I was deciding on which hammock to buy, I saw the Clark as being over-engineered and I gave it a few dings for such things as a tarp that wasn't cat cut. After owning it a year I think it probably is over-engineered, but really well thought out. The new hammock's spreader bars look like they'd help a lot to open the internal space. I'm not sure they're worth the extra weight for me.

Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast