Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Mod ENO or save for something else

I'm an ultralight backpacker currently sleeping in a tarptent on the ground. I'm thinking of trying out the hammock thing. I've got a ENO DN that I can mod with new suspension, MYOG bugnet, probably MYOG tarp as well. But will I be happy? I'd hate to spend another $100 on parts when I could just sell the DN and put the money towards a BIAS or Dream Hammock setup. I'm 5'8" and 165 lbs so I can fit in most anything, and I'm used to dealing with silnylon/nanoseeum/sewing my own/etc. Most threads seem to say go with WBBB, but right now my tent, pad, quilt, everything is only 4.25 lbs. I'd hate add a couple pounds of weight to my sleep system.

Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I say use what you got. My most comfortable hammock is my DIY I made from $0.25 worth of yard sale fabric. I own a Hennessy and like my DIY better.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    +1 with Jeff's comment. The best hammock setup is the one you're using and works for you.

Some of the lightest weight backpackers I know use DIY setups that they made for themselves out of cheap/lightweight materials.

Since weight is a concern, I think going the route you're going is good for you. You also retain the advantage of being able to easily go back to ground by using your tarp/fly as a tarptent, and your pad as your ground pad...only if really need be of course!

If you're happy with the direction you've gone...no need to change course because other's aren't going the same way! (Even though, as I said earlier, I think your route is the one I've seen most ultra-lighters go).

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did the eno, and the mods, but now I'm more happy with a DIY or my dream hammock. They're lighter than the eno even after the mods. Much more comfy too. I'm also 5'8" but about 20lbs lighter. I like my 10' DIY. It's a tad wider than the eno. And I like the ripstop over the parachute material eno uses.
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks, gives me some things to mull over.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I'm an ultralighter as well and I would recommend saving for something else. Do the mods on the ENO, use it for the time being to get accustomed to hanging while you save. ENO is far from the lightest options out there. WBBB is a great but not so much for an UL'er. I'd recommend BIAS or Dream Hammock Darien UL. I have those, the Darien is my bug season rig and the BIAS is my cold weather rig. DIY is a great route to go as well. But to specifically answer you're question: You will be happy to be off the ground, regardless of what hammock you're in, but you may not be satisfied. And I can say with near certainty that if you really enjoy being UL you will end up going with something different than an ENO eventually. It may not be because of comfort but you will because of weight. UL'ers always seem to be looking the smaller, lighter thing.

FWIW, The weight for my summer setup big 3 is 3lbs 1oz, and if the conditions are right for it I can knock almost half a lb off that. So it is possible to lower you weight instead of increasing it.
    Last edited by SwinginIt; 06-18-2013 at 22:09.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Just got all my new gear in over the last week. I weighed it all last night. I'm still new to all this and just decided the RR will be my go to hammock. Here are my weights.

Warbonnet RR 27.2 oz
    Hammockgear burrow 20* 22oz
    BA Q Core SL wide long 23oz
    Tarp 16oz with tarp flyz and guy lines

Total 88oz or 5.5lbs

I could shave an extra 4oz off using my HG bottom quilt vs pad.

Ill take the extra one pound for the difference in comfort of hanging rather than being on the ground. All I have to do is take my 2oz lifestraw vs my miniworks ex water filter and there's my 1lb difference if I really want to be that picky.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Edit: sorry, I forgot to add the poles. In my excitement I forgot. The website lists them at 9.9oz.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Keep that ENO!!! I cut off the colored edges did at "Knotty" mod and made a diy bug net. I then thought I needed a "better" hammock but always went back to my ENO after getting a WBBB, JRB bridge, Hennessey, and BIAS. I'm now on a custom DangerBird but my tried and true ENO still waits for me in my gear closet.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I started with an ENO DN and it was enough to get me hooked. I was coming from the other end of the weight spectrum. It was comfortable for me (I have 1" and 30lbs on you), but since I am a DIY freak I made a simple gathered end 11' hammock and it is much more comfortable for me. My pack weight is way down and I'm sleeping much better on the trail. My current setup with hammock, straps, suspension, 20 degree quilts, hex tarp (12' ridge) w/lines and stakes is 4.67lbs. That is without really trying to reduce weight.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast