Summer Hammocking

Hello,

I was considering switching to a hammock to take on a AT multiday trip this summer. I have been leaning towards the wb blackbird especially since it has the bug net. What other considerations on equipment should I be making to optimize sleeping in the warmer weather? Any suggestions on a good entry non CF tarp/rainfly?

In a perfect world I would love to compare the blackbird with a bridge hammock but I am trying to keep it simple.

Jeff

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Depending on your definition of "warmer weather", you will likely need some kind of insulation for underneath you. One of the biggest things folks notice about hammocks is that the compression of insulation underneath them in the hammock (which happens over a larger area than when sleeping on the ground--also one of the reasons that an hammock is more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, since it eliminates most pressure points) causes it to be less effective at keeping them warm. A wider pad (if going that route), a Segmented Pad Extender (SPE), or an underquilt are usually needed at temperatures lower than the 70s. There are multiple ways to skin this particular feline, though, so budget and weight consciousness are going to play a largish role in your choice.

As to a good tarp, I highly recommend the Tadpole, by Wilderness Logics. In my opinion, there isn't a tarp on the market that splits cost/coverage/weight better than that (unless you want to DIY, which is an whole 'nother can of worms). If you want more coverage (which you may, if weight isn't quite as important to you), Wilderness Logics offers the Oldman Winter and Warbonnet offers the Superfly, both of which are "4-season" tarps (they have doors to seal off the ends of the tarps, making an enclosed shelter area).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    As for a good entry level tarp, you can't beat the Wilderness Logics Tadpole. It is just the perfect balance between pack size, weight and weather protection. Sure there are other less expensive tarp options but you're gonna pay for it with weight and pack size.
    -Jon-

Re:

Based on shipping times I dont think a WB BB is an option for a trip in July. Would an ENO be an acceptable alternative and a good entry hammock to try? Im not sure if the ability to lay diagonally is possibly in an ENO. The local REI does have them though.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If you're looking for an hammock with a separate bug net (like the ENOs are) rather than an integral one, I recommend the ButtInASling (BIAS) Weight Weenie Micro, with their Nano Buginator net. It'll come in at ~$155 plus shipping (about what you'd pay for a BlackBird, at roughly 17 oz, rather than 28 oz for the 1.1 BlackBird. It'll also allow you to leave the net at home when you don't need it, bringing your pack weight down to 10 oz.

According to their website, they usually ship in 1-2 weeks. Shoot 'em an e-mail; I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Thanks. Giving the time constraints I was trying to stay with cottage industry products as much as possible. After this trip I should have a better idea of what I need and want. Worse case scenario ill just stick with my ground setup.

FLRider, I'm not against integrated hammocks. I'm just looking at what can be shipped in time. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hammock
    Eno Dbl. Nest, wbbb xlc dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    12' Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies, cinch
    I would try to stay away from eno products. The hammocks are okay at first, not long after you'll be wanting to upgrade. I'm waiting on my wbbb xlc right now!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
    I would try to stay away from eno products. The hammocks are okay at first, not long after you'll be wanting to upgrade. I'm waiting on my wbbb xlc right now!
    Seems we are in a similar situation, when did you order yours?

I ordered last week, Still 3 or 4 long weeks to go.

• + New Posts