Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

thinking about making hammock and tarp for my webelos who bridge to boyscouts.

I am thinking about making a hammock/tarp rig for my webelos who bridge to boyscouts in february.

I am thinking tyvex tarp ( I can get some free or cheap from a scouts dad). If I get 4' section is tyvex tape and duct tape enough to seal the connection?

would it be better to look for tablecloth or just buy some nylon? I don't have a sewing machine but can use/get one.

my plan is to make the hammock and tarp and teach them how to rig them with amsteel and dyneema. ( I will teach/show splicing and dog bones and whoopies).

what do we think total cost per set up will be? Material and supplies?

should I make them smaller then normal? Or better yet what size should they be?

I am sure after picking thru the ideas I could find the diy guides to finish the rigs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I would personally make the hammocks full size -doesn't make sense to me to have a hammock that can only be used if you are a certain size.

Hard to beat a $12.99 tablecloth hammock so that sounds like a good option, but if you find a good deal on ripstop nylon that route works as well. I'd go with 11 ft hammocks unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

How do you make a tarp out of 4 ft. of Tyvek? Do you mean 4 ft. wide Tyvek? You're going to probably want an 11 or 12 ft ridgeline, and I would recommend Tyvek tape, not duct tape for joining pieces of Tyvek. You can use the tape to make tie-outs as I did in this video about making Tyvek Grizz Beaks:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=tyvek

As for price per setup, that all depends.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How many are crossing over, I may be able to help you on fabric.
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

How do you make a tarp out of 4 ft. of Tyvek? Do you mean 4 ft. wide Tyvek? You're going to probably want an 11 or 12 ft ridgeline, and I would recommend Tyvek tape, not duct tape for joining pieces of Tyvek. You can use the tape to make tie-outs as I did in this video about making Tyvek Grizz Beaks:
    I haven't had much luck making tie-outs with tyvek tape but the pebble & string method works quite well. Cheap and simple too. I've been using a 9x9 square tyvek tarp rigged on a diagonal for the past year or so. Wouldn't want to be using it when its raining sideways but otherwise it covers my tablecloth hammock just fine.

For the hammocks...as mentioned above, its hard to beat a $12.99 tablecloth, especially if you catch a sale or a free shipping week...unless, of course, you get a deal on fabric.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I would personally make the hammocks full size -doesn't make sense to me to have a hammock that can only be used if you are a certain size.

Hard to beat a $12.99 tablecloth hammock so that sounds like a good option, but if you find a good deal on ripstop nylon that route works as well. I'd go with 11 ft hammocks unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=tyvek

As for price per setup, that all depends.
    Yes I meant 4ft wide. I am not sure if the person I get it from will have wider pieces. I have seen several videos on how diy the tyvex tarps and would use tyvex tape and then maybe duct tape on top of that. If these were for adults I wouldn't add the duct tape but I am thinking they will need to hold up a bit longer. I have never used tyvex tape I am not sure how think it is. If it makes better sense i may just double it up.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willjack1967 View Post
    How many are crossing over, I may be able to help you on fabric.
    I may not know that until we see how many come back in july/august. It may be as many as 12 but more likely 8-9. we have a few boys moving this summer and others may just decide to quit.

I am just trying to be prepared in terms of material and design to get started. I would appreciate any help I can get. I envisioned getting supplies in bits and pieces anyway.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I haven't had much luck making tie-outs with tyvek tape but the pebble & string method works quite well. Cheap and simple too. I've been using a 9x9 square tyvek tarp rigged on a diagonal for the past year or so. Wouldn't want to be using it when its raining sideways but otherwise it covers my tablecloth hammock just fine.

For the hammocks...as mentioned above, its hard to beat a $12.99 tablecloth, especially if you catch a sale or a free shipping week...unless, of course, you get a deal on fabric.
    If I can get the tyvex on the cheap( or as scrapes of free) I will try and give them a larger tarp. Maybe even something large enough for doors. I want then to enjoy the set up and would hate for them to get rained on. I also understand that they may either be more or less modest then adults are but would want them to be able to change clothes without showing there stuff.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Yes I meant 4ft wide. I am not sure if the person I get it from will have wider pieces. I have seen several videos on how diy the tyvex tarps and would use tyvex tape and then maybe duct tape on top of that. If these were for adults I wouldn't add the duct tape but I am thinking they will need to hold up a bit longer. I have never used tyvex tape I am not sure how think it is. If it makes better sense i may just double it up.
    You don't need to double Tyvek tape - it's very strong (and expensive). I would definitely not put duct tape on it.

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on going the tablecloths route... I've made 4 of them in the last couple weeks with my kids - my son (who just bridged to scouts) is looking forward to trying his out at summer camp in a couple weeks.

If you want to have them play with nylon and a thread injector, have them make bishop bags, they are about the easiest thing to sew and will come in handy.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I just got done helping 18 of my scouts make hammocks. We used the tablecloths, made woopies, and used harbor freight straps. Total cost came to $24 per boy after shipping and all that. Most of them used their hammocks last week during a week long camp out. They worked great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast