Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°

8 days in Southern New Zealand

Well I'm back! A very successful hammock-enabled trip along the Greenstone Track and Routeburn Track on New Zealand's South Island in winter. Some initial thoughts and an album of pics... not every one of a hammock, but I thought the terrain might be interesting to many here since most trip reports are US-based, and I like to show off my beautiful country whenever I can

The album can be viewed here. (There's a copy on Facebook, which may or may not work.)

I'd initially planned (and brought food for) ten days out, taking in parts of the Hollyford Valley and the track at its northern end. However, when I got to the start of the famous Routeburn--one of New Zealand's most beautiful walks--the weather had fined up and there was a chance at getting across the alpine section. Normally they warn you off trying in winter time because it's avalanche country and the weather can change suddenly, with sections of the track completely exposed to the elements. However I was fortunate enough to get across safely, only having to negotiate a few sections of sheet ice by climbing around them, and the sights to be seen were many and memorable. A trip I'll always remember!

I hung in my Blackbird outside four nights out of seven, rigged it inside twice using bunk houses for shelter, and slept abominably on a bunk house mattress on one night... never again, if I can help it! I have a moderate degree of joint degeneration in both hips (osteoarthritis) as a result of having been severely obese for most of my life. My knees aren't so hot either. Now, having lost all but a few kilos (in your imperial poundy things, I went from 550 lb to 220 lb in a bit under two years), I found that nights spent in the hammock alleviated almost all discomfort whereas nights in a bunk were excruciating. I'm absolutely delighted with the gear from Warbonnet, Hammock Gear, and Dutch! Even now I'm plotting my next excursion, to give me another excuse to hang... consider me converted.

I hadn't made the opportunity to have an entire night out in the hammock prior to leaving on the trip, although I did do a test hang in a back yard. So I was quite proud of my first night setup, which was in total darkness as the valleys lose the light really early in winter! Subsequent nights were colder (around -5 Celsius so I'm going to guess at about 21-22 Fahrenheit) but the HG Incubator kept me toasty along with a down sleeping bag and liberal use of merino layers.

The site selection is a bit problematic, because the nature of the type of forest in this part of the country is full of overhanging branches reaching out toward the light under the forest canopy. Treefall is common, and there had been 200 mm of rain in 24 hours just prior to my arrival so much of the ground was marshy and waterlogged. I just had to pick and choose as best I could, and test branches where possible... the one at this site was straight over the top of my tarp, but seemed solid enough to hang some weight off it:

On a couple of nights I hung indoors as they were pretty strict about where you could and couldn't camp, but there weren't enough bunk house users to be worried about space. The second night indoors, I tried a fairly saggy setup with the XLC's top removed. Not a bad sleep, but my pillow (down jacket) kept falling out!

In the morning I discovered this, could have been a bit nasty... guess there was just too much slack in my rig:

Still, the Dutch clip held up like a trooper, that tiny little hook caught the webbing and held it. Will turn the clip the other way up in future!

I learned a lot, particularly about pack weight. Although my planned ten days turned to eight due to the detour across the Routeburn, I had ten well-provisioned days of food in the pack and that sucker was HEAVY. It's a 75 L Kathmandu pack (a Vardo) that doesn't fit very well, and I estimate I had in the region of 20 kg (44 lb) in it at the start including water, fuel, and my new toy, a DSLR camera. This took a toll on my already creaky joints, and the take-home lesson has been to really have a good look at what I can do to keep me out in the wilderness without hastening the need for a hip replacement, something I'll eventually have to undergo in any case but hopefully much, much later!

Aarn Packs (www.aarnpacks.com) are hopefully sending me a Mountain Magic 50 to demo on my next trip, which should help with load distribution and the lower volume will really force me to examine what I can and can't do without. I see from reading old threads there are a few Aarn Addicts at HF so I'm sure I'll be picking their brains before long!

All in all, a wonderful trip. I have some shaky video to cut together, but I'll leave you with the kind of view I had to put up with all week. Those crazy mountains, always getting in the way and being all beautiful and what have you!

Last edited by Basie; 06-18-2013 at 22:48. Reason: Imgur album

Images
    I couldn't get to the pictures at the FB link, but the ones showing up here are beautiful! Looks like great fun! And WOW on the weight loss!

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling

Talking Wow

I have to put that on my bucket list.,.,,.,. Hang in New Zealand

Thanks for sharing...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I couldn't get to the pictures at the FB link, but the ones showing up here are beautiful! Looks like great fun! And WOW on the weight loss!
    Hrm, that's odd... they claim anyone can view it if they have the link. Will relocate to an Imgur album, they're faster anyways.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great pics ,,,thanks for sharing

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    the link worked fine for me,,, That looks like an awesome time add the views were perfect for some hammock viewing.. good job on the first outing, i am really impressed and great job on the weight loss, that in itself is a huge accomplishment.. thanks for sharing
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Ok, here's an Imgur album since the FB seems a bit unreliable! I hooked out the hammock stuff to post here as there are a LOT of images in the album...

Rain layer makes a good wind-break

Shelf is so useful, I overload it

Webbing straps and moss

Hidden away

The socks must be dried

View from the hammock in the misty morning

Indoor stealth hang site between two wooden pillars

Hard to comply with

Tieouts

Thanks, Dutch!

Dutch clip detail

Afternoon sun

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    Those are some amazing photos!!

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome pics, already on our bucket list

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for the memory jolt. I remember the 'standard' green and yellow sign demarcating all the national parks. The 'huts' there sure are nice, even piped in gas provided for the hikers and filtered water! NZ even cleaned my boots and hiking poles for me upon arriving at the airport in Christchurch-kind of them (or a big fine for me)....NZ is a special place, especially if you like possums!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast