Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit

50 State Park Project: National Parks & Forests?

I'm sure most have seen Rev's 50 State Project thread and also the 50 State Project Table I've been trying to organize all the info into.

I was thinking (yeah, I know, here it comes) we might add national parks and forests to the list?

I don't know if the regulations for hanging in a nat. forest or park are the same across the board, so perhaps I may need to add a few fields for links and list them separately. But I have seen that the nat. parks and forests are an alternative place to hang in many states that don't allow it in their state parks. I've also seen that many members have experience hanging in those locations and if they would share their experiences I could add that information making note it was provided via HF Member and not state employee.

I just figure we already have a fairly good collection of information going on, might as well continue to add to it and make it a good (better?) starting off place for those looking for information and links to plan a trip.

Heck, I even have a map setup for non-us locations so any of our Canadian hangers that want to get in on the act are more than welcome.

What say you?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Good idea. I think Ntl Forests are basically unrestricted in this area. But I haven't done the Chapter and Verse research.

MedicineMan and Poof have been in almost every Ntl Park and may have valuable info to contribute to that issue. I do know that many Ntl Parks have restrictions which are truly necessay to protect them from the huge numbers of people visiting.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    I think Ntl Forests are basically unrestricted in this area.
    According to a Forest Ranger at Wayne NF here in Ohio there are no restrictions on camping/hammocking in National Forests/Parks except in designated Recreation Areas or Endangered Species areas. There are variations from park to park with regard to campfires. You could pretty much guarantee that any National Forest west of the Mississippi River has a "No Open Flame" regulation in place.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    I'm sure most have seen Rev's 50 State Project thread and also the 50 State Project Table I've been trying to organize all the info into.

I was thinking (yeah, I know, here it comes) we might add national parks and forests to the list?

I don't know if the regulations for hanging in a nat. forest or park are the same across the board, so perhaps I may need to add a few fields for links and list them separately. But I have seen that the nat. parks and forests are an alternative place to hang in many states that don't allow it in their state parks. I've also seen that many members have experience hanging in those locations and if they would share their experiences I could add that information making note it was provided via HF Member and not state employee.

I just figure we already have a fairly good collection of information going on, might as well continue to add to it and make it a good (better?) starting off place for those looking for information and links to plan a trip.

Heck, I even have a map setup for non-us locations so any of our Canadian hangers that want to get in on the act are more than welcome.

What say you?
    If only we could get the mod's to post it as a sticky.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Well, just for National Forests, not Ntl Parks, the regulatory web is vast and intricate. (As many of you know, I have a few years experience with this sort of research.) There are different types of areas in various NFs which have some overarching laws and regs, e.g. Wilderness Areas, Primitive Management Areas, Wildlife Refuge, Recreation Area, etc. Within the code of federal regulations there many entires dealing with specific forests and dealing with specific areas within specific forests. Then, each Regional Forester or Forest Supervisor has the option to implement a special local order. And each forest and/or special region within a forest can have local rules.

This could be a HUGE project with a HUGE database. In any case, it would be a moving target as regional and local rules and regs change. I recommend that anyone having a question should call the local ranger station for the area and ask for the specific rule/reg that controls the issue.

Generally speaking, camping in National Forests is allowed and is free. More specifically, for backcountry do not camp on a trail and be careful to stay off private property when hiking and camping. Then, of course, follow the directions on any restrictive signs along your hike.
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 06-20-2013 at 17:42.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    For ILLINOIS, the only National Forest, Shawnee National Forest
    FAQ publication states:
    Recreation Opportunities
    Shawnee National Forest 50 Hwy 145 South, Harrisburg, IL 62946 2009

Campgrounds
    There are seven campgrounds within the Shawnee National Forest. Many of these developed campgrounds are open from March 1st through December 15th, although there are some exceptions. Campsites are available on a first-come, first serve basis. There is a maximum of eight campers to a site and a maximum of 14 days continuous use. Campers can then transfer to another campground if they desire further camping.

Primitive Camping
    Primitive camping is allowed in the Shawnee National Forest with the exception of developed recreation areas, natural areas, developed campgrounds, on lake shores, near streams or on trails. Primitive camping is free and is allowed any time of year. Do not trespass on private land and do not cut down live trees, shrubs or other vegetation. Clean up all personal garbage and make sure all fires are completely out. Campers may camp up to 14 consecutive days, but no permanent structures may be built.

• + New Posts