Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I carry a spare rope for my food bag - 50' of zing-it. I once had a food rope hang up, and I had to cut it to get part of it back. Also, I've had occasion to need a nice long clothesline or an extension for a tarp guy line. If I needed to replace part of my hammock suspension I think I could do it with multiple strands of zing-it. Amsteel or dynaglide dogbones make sense, but I don't always carry them.

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I currently keep an amsteel loop which can used in many ways. Strictly suspension wise, I figured I would be more likely to damage the hammock itself than break my whoopie sling. Now that you brought it up though, .35oz for a 6ft dynaglide sling won't weigh me down, TOO MUCH...Bush

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I keep ~20 ft of mason's line on me, for oddball camp tasks. But that stuff's got a break strength of something like 40 lbs. So, no, I don't carry spare suspension. I trust my equipment, and if that fails, I trust my skills to get me out okay.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    I carry a extra set of dynaglides already made with loops and then wrapped them up into zipper pulls on my hammock so there always right there were needed and won't have to search for them in the middle of the night if theres a break

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Due to the annoyance and incredible inconvenience of Murphy's law, I've always carried 20' of Amsteel but, recently I've resorted to wearing it

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I would get a good chuckle out of finding out that the folks who go to the extreme in light weight gear would carry a spare anything. Aside from them folks will have a bit of something along as there are many reasons/uses for some extra line. One does not *need* 1/8" amsteel for clothes line but it will hold up drying clothes or airing sleeping gear... ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I would get a good chuckle out of finding out that the folks who go to the extreme in light weight gear would carry a spare anything. Aside from them folks will have a bit of something along as there are many reasons/uses for some extra line. One does not *need* 1/8" amsteel for clothes line but it will hold up drying clothes or airing sleeping gear... ;-)
    Well here's your chuckle . I'm am an UL'er sub 8 in summer and carry an extra dynaglide woopie and dutch biner. I mention this because even in striving to be a UL'er their are some items I bring along for safety reasons while leaving lots of comfort items at home.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

On a trip few weeks ago the stitching of one fixed loop of my UCR broke a bit. I stitched this one with cotton fiber, the other Polyester stitching hold well. I didnīt have a spare UCR with me but some Polyester fiber and a needle so I stitched it again this time with the polyester. It hold the folowing 2 nights. I donīt think a UCR or a whoopie breaks with normal use. Before that the fixed loop will break so I will take a guitar string with me next time, too, and I will take more than 4" on my next UCR for the fixed loops.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd be concerned about why the stitching is breaking. AFAIK it is there to keep things together when there us no load on the splice. You might want to put it under moderate tension and milk it good before stitching. Somebody else might have a better suggestion.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Maybe the taped part of the splice wasnīt milked enough. With the new stitching it seems to hold even after some light falling in the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast