Thread: MSR E-Wing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing, but I'm fairly certain that the it's a lighter weight fabric choice.
    Hey all,

My SpinnUL is a polyester (I believe) spinnaker weave with a proprietary silicone impregnation, has a few major advantages over silnylon - most importantly a greater weight savings as well as zero stretch, so the tarp does not really require tensioners. The main disadvantage is the cost, as it is significantly more expensive than silnylon. It does however have excellent waterproof characteristics, and is durable enough for most backpacking use, especially in tarp use. It really is a great fabric for use where a high performance, low weight fabric is needed, and a pleasure to work with and sew.

And as for a Micro out of SpinnUL - the main problem with this lies in the width of the fabric, as it's only about 55" wide as opposed to the usual 65" width of silnylon. I can make a seamed version (which would still be lighter), but it would be pretty expensive (~$115) mainly due to the fabric costs and lots of waste from cutting the tarp. But it would, however probably be in the 5.5-6 oz range for total weight after seam sealing. The Standard in SpinnUL 8.0-8.2 oz including stuff sack and seam sealing, so you're getting down to pretty light stuff at that point...
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hey all,

My SpinnUL is a polyester (I believe) spinnaker weave with a proprietary silicone impregnation, has a few major advantages over silnylon - most importantly a greater weight savings as well as zero stretch, so the tarp does not really require tensioners. The main disadvantage is the cost, as it is significantly more expensive than silnylon. It does however have excellent waterproof characteristics, and is durable enough for most backpacking use, especially in tarp use. It really is a great fabric for use where a high performance, low weight fabric is needed, and a pleasure to work with and sew.

And as for a Micro out of SpinnUL - the main problem with this lies in the width of the fabric, as it's only about 55" wide as opposed to the usual 65" width of silnylon. I can make a seamed version (which would still be lighter), but it would be pretty expensive (~$115) mainly due to the fabric costs and lots of waste from cutting the tarp. But it would, however probably be in the 5.5-6 oz range for total weight after seam sealing. The Standard in SpinnUL 8.0-8.2 oz including stuff sack and seam sealing, so you're getting down to pretty light stuff at that point...
    Yeah, what he said!
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hey all,

And as for a Micro out of SpinnUL - the main problem with this lies in the
    width of the fabric, as it's only about 55" wide as opposed to the usual 65" width of silnylon. I can make a seamed version (which would still be lighter), but it would be pretty expensive (~$115) mainly due to the fabric costs and
    lots of waste from cutting the tarp. But it would, however probably be in the 5.5-6 oz range for total weight after seam sealing. The Standard in SpinnUL
    8.0-8.2 oz including stuff sack and seam sealing, so you're getting down to
    pretty light stuff at that point...
    What would the price of a standard on spinn be? Would it be safe to assume that it would be nearly the same price as the micro since the micro is two pieces trimmed?

BC

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12