Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10'
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cont Loop
    Images

Not impressed/ need advice

I converted my HH expedition to an amsteel whoopie sling. Initially, I was very pleased with the conversion: removing the old suspension, lashing the new, splicing the line, it looked sharp.

Then, I optested it in my yard. I had trouble getting the whoopie sling come under (in my mind) enough tension. To be fair, once I got it mildly tensioned, it held.

My next attempt was to take out one of the loops of the whoopie sling. I then used a carabiner in a girth hitch to facilitate a trucker's hitch secured by a half hitch. I could not get the line to hold.

My second attempt was to keep the configuration the same, but use a descending ring instead of the carabiner. Again the same result.

My third attempt used two carabiners on my tree hugger for a "ring buckle" configuration. Results were the same.

My fourth attempt used two descending rings in the "ring buckle" configuration from the tree huggers. Again, the results were the same.

As I am typing this, I had a thought that maybe I could use some variation of a marlin spike hitch.

I am not really interested in a figure 9, but it is an option.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advice anyone may have.

Thank you
    Caleb

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I don't think they make a fig9 strong enough to safely hang from.

I'm not super sure I understand your initial problem. Are your whoopies slipping?? If you have at least 6" of bury and you "milk" it after adjustment it should be rock solid. A photo would really help.
    Keep also in mind that the whoopies don't have any mechanical advantage in their design so they won't tighten up like a truckers hitch... This is a good thing because you won't be able to loosen them. And if you're working the 30° angle from the tree you shouldn't need to put much tension into the whoopies.

If you're going to go the ring buckle route I would recommend the rings fixed to the hammock (by whatever means you find convenient) and some 12' tree straps that go straight to the rings. I don't think running amsteel thru the rings will hold ( if I under stand your 4th attemp?).

I'm not entirely sure if I'm answering you question. If I'm off base say so and I'll throw a different set of guesses at you.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I cold use a little clarification as well.

My WS are easy to adjust and with just a little milking of the burry, they hold super tight with no slipping. My suspension goes: tree, tree huggers, whoopie, Dutch hook, continuous loop, hammock.

The slings can be difficult to adjust if there is a load on them, for example, the hammock is loaded up with pads, sleeping bag, clothes, backpack, etc.

You need to get the weight off the line, then grab the burry and pull the line through. Once at the desired length, just milk the burry to set the sling.

I hope this helps.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I think just about everyone that uses whoopie slings uses the Marlin Spike Hitch.
    It is about the easiest way to hang a hammock.

Watch these videos.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    [I am also confused by what you are trying to accomplish. it seems you were trying different suspensions, first whoopies, then some disassembled whoopie you tried to tie knots in, then straps with rings and other stuff. Maybe you were trying this all with Amsteel. It's hard to tell. Pictures might help.

As others have mentioned, whoopies aren't meant to be under tension. In fact, if you put them under a lot of tension you can't even adjust them any more.

If you take one of the loops out of the whoopie, then it is not a whoopie sling anymore. I'm not sure what it is and what purpose it would serve. Which one of the loops did you take out, adjustable or fixed, and what was your reasoning for doing so?

Amsteel is extremely slippery and not well suited for knots, which derate the rope by 50% or more. If you want to tie knots in your suspension, get some rope more suited for knots. Or it sounds like you might want a strap suspension.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Nothing wrong with running full strap suspension either. It looks kinda like a whoopy sling suspension save the part where the marlin spike goes. It just continues to the hammock instead and has a couple adjustable rings there.

But watch Shugs videos, mimic what he does, just the suspension and hammock parts I don't want him having competition on the ever tightening county fair circuit, and you shouldn't go far from wrong.

One thing is certain. If you were having problems with your whoopie sling suspension, you were doing something wrong. Probably something basic you didn't even think about, a real palm slapper. But Shug's video should point it out. Then you can blame it on counterfit amsteel that was nylon or something instead.

OR, video tape it and put it on youtube or pictures and let us see where the problem is.

At least you have friends. We're willing to help and not ashamed to laugh at/errrr, with ya.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    It sounds to me like you're trying to tie a knot in amsteel. My experience is that knots do not hold in amsteel, that's why there's the bury.

A whoopie is basically two loops. One end is a fixed loop that you typically larks head around the end of your hammok, the other adjustable loop goes over a marlin spike hitch or into a carabiner that's attached to the tree hugger.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I think just about everyone that uses whoopie slings uses the Marlin Spike Hitch.
    It is about the easiest way to hang a hammock.
    have whoopie slings on all hammocks, NO marlin spike hitches. i bought one from Syb with a Marlin thing, but yet to use it
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    have whoopie slings on all hammocks, NO marlin spike hitches. i bought one from Syb with a Marlin thing, but yet to use it
    What do you use?

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    What do you use?
    Kind of curious myself also. Do you just connect the whoopie to the strap via a loop in the strap? I have seen this done before, utilizing shorter straps with a loop at each end...No hardware needed..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast