Clark Tropical - Tips for Stowing/Opening?

Anyone with tips on stowing the Clark into it's carry bag so that when you open the bag to hang it the fly is easy to unfurl and attach without it being twisted?

Here's a recent photo of my setup on the Long Trail:

Hammock
    Clark NA & Hennessy UL Backpacker
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images
    With my Clark, when breaking down, I usually leave the tarp attached to the hammock and lay it all in between the zippered edges of the hammock, which is still attached to the trees. It's a little tricky to keep the fly from flopping out of the hammock & onto the ground, so I usually try to lay the wider head end of the tarp in first, while the foot end is still tied to its tree. I try to lay the tree lines towards the ends of the hammock and the two side lines in the middle, to keep things organized. Also, for the two side lines, I use Kelty Triptease (the yellow, reflective line) since these are the only lines that could get tripped over. This also helps me to easily differentiate between the tree lines & the side lines of the tarp since it doesn't lay neatly in the hammock the way I do it. I then detach the head end of the hammock from the tree & drop the main line in on top of the tarp. Then I fold the hammock in half lengthwise, holding the zippered ends together & roll it up to the foot end main line, untie it ,wrap it around the bundle, & stuff it into the sack. I always keep consistent with the head-then-foot detachment so when I use it the next time, I know it's the foot end I'm attaching first, while the hammock is still rolled up. That helps for orienting the hammock in relation to the wind or just to get the best view.

Now having said all that, I've learned on these forums it's best to hang the tarp first and stow it last, so in case it's raining, everything is protected by the tarp from start to finish. But man, when using the stock fly with the Clark, as integral as it is, attaching & detaching it to the hammock isn't the easiest thing in the world, as you probably have noticed. That business with putting those two D rings, one through that loop & the other over the loop, then attach the tarp clip to both (or something like that) kind of makes me keep the whole thing together. But I guess what I should be doing is detaching the hammock from the fly clips, putting away the hammock like above, and then taking down the tarp and probably storing it separately, for times when it's wet.

Anyway, those are my thoughts & ponderings on the matter. Hope I was able to help.

Thanks Robertm, that's very helpful and I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I've been just stuffing the whole thing in between the bug net zippers and then rollng it up head-to-foot and into the bag. I need to get a little more organized and consistent so I don't have to fuss straightening out the fly before I tie it. I also have been relecutant to detach the fly but I agree that for hanging the hammock or taking it down in the rain that's the way to go.
    Last edited by Rough; 03-19-2007 at 14:05. Reason: correction

Images
    I don't have a clark or have used one, but maybe my HH way would work.

I would put my underquilt onto the top of the hammock and roll it so that the netting would be on the inner part and only the hammock fabric would be showing. I would put all of the side tieouts in there before I started rolling. I added snack skins, but even without I could do this without having the hammock hit the ground.

Might be something to consider with your clark. Can't tell from your posts and my lack of knowledge about the clark, but I would hang the tarp seperatly and stow it in it's own bag for when it was wet. A mesh bag or mesh snack skins works really well for this.

Also left hammock in VT?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I added snack skins
    never know when you'll get hungry in your hammock, eh HE? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    these college kids... always got the munchies
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Do they come in BBQ flavor?
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    What can I say. I was eating a sub at the time.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I made a separate set of snake skins for both the tarp and hammock. The tarp skins are mesh and the hammock skins are big enough to let me leave my underquilt attached. Setting the two up separately is the only way to go.

• + New Posts