Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That Clark turn-key set-up looks pretty nice. It has the built in bug net and weather sock, and includes the tarp. It would be difficult to match all those features piece by piece.

But our cottage vendors make fantastic products here in the States, contribute to the forum, are really nice guys ... any one of them or several would work closely with you to get what you need.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyoc20 View Post
    You could also get a complete setup from Hennessy Hammocks for under $300. A little more for the HEX fly. I use a Hennessey and love it. I can't speak to it but I get the feeling more people on here prefer the warbonnet blackbird.
    I have been in both and just prefer the WBBB, nothing wrong with the Hennessy other than it was a little heaver (likely way more durable fabric wise) than the WBBB I have. So one of my friends now has the HH Expedition and absolutely loves it. You know what they say about opinions...

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I have a Clark tx-250 , went with the tx because I liked the idea of using an UQ instead of pads and I like the screen on the head area. I am not disappointed it sleeps my 6' - 3" , 240 lbs extremely well. I looked at and hung in some ENO (made here in Asheville) Hennessy, but decided on the Clark. Went camping with some fellow hangers (9 of us) and new I made the right choice ... I like the flat lay and my comfort is high on the list, why I gave up ground camping. The other thing is get the bigger option of the Vertex tarp, finally with the Clark if you don't like it , they have about the best resale value in hammocks. Everybody is different, but for me Clark is my hanging home. Good luck on your search.
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Wow thanks everybody these are all solid posts and very helpful. I would really like to support some of the "cottage guys" and maybe WB but another aspect is that I need to get one pretty soon if I am gonna use it for an elk hunting trip. The plan is to hunt daylight to dark looking for and following elk. Set up each night where the elk are then get at it again the next day. I need to start soon to be able to be confident in my setup by the end of Sept. If I place an order for a custom set up it may close to Sept before I can start using it. I have a partner that I hunt with and he cannot afford any extra purchases right now but I was considering getting an ENO and tarp now to practice with and order a custom hammock. Then I can gift him the ENO and tarp setup to use on our trip.

How much of a learning curve is there from hammock to hammock. If I did that and got an ENO now then received my custom hammock shortly before hunting season would I be able to quickly apply what I learned from the ENO to a WarBonnett or BIAS unit?

[QUOTE=Jcavenagh;1031332]Hey, OD09, Welcome to the board.
    You are likely to get many recommendations.
    I use the Warbonnet double layer Blackbird, either 1.1 or 1.7 weight.
    They have bug net integrated that can be rolled back if not needed.
    You could easily use ccf pads for underside insulation given your temp range. You could also get a Superfly Tarp to match.
    The WBBB has a storage pocket that is plenty big for everything I have ever needed it to hold.
    The Superfly tarp is plenty big to hold all your gear. I don't have a superfly tarp as I have gone to a cuben fiber tarp for my old creaky knees.

I have never used any Clark products, but a lot of folks swear by them.[/QUOTE

Good post and thanks for the welcome.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    If I were you, I'd hold off and do some research. That won't cost you anything except time and it will pay off in the long run. Keep checking the forum designated for used gear. I just saw several full hammock setups go through there that were 30-50% off their full retail price.

If you're going cheap, here are some tips that might help:
    1. First, figure out what's going to work best for you. Then, find a way to get it cheap.

2. Buying 2nd hand means you're usually getting a pretty good discount. You won't know if it's a good deal unless you've been paying attention to what stuff is selling for used.

3. You won't know 1. or 2. unless you spend some time researching. Watch this site's "For Sale" forum, check out eBay, look at some of the gear manufacturer's sites and get familiar with their pricing. Then, when you see a good deal on something that is going to work for you, you'll know it - you won't be guessing.

4. Instead of thinking terms of "cheap", think in terms of "return on investment". There's nothing worse than ruining a vacation because your gear isn't working for you.

HTH

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Once you get comfortable setting up hammock and tarp it's easy to apply that to any variation. There are slight slight differences in some suspensions but generally the same principles,
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    You looking for a hammock to hunt from, or a hammock to relax in? If its the former, I'm not sure which hammock system is right, but you'll certainly need a pea put in the bottom to keep you uncomfortable, or you'll fall asleep and miss the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    You looking for a hammock to hunt from, or a hammock to relax in? If its the former, I'm not sure which hammock system is right, but you'll certainly need a pea put in the bottom to keep you uncomfortable, or you'll fall asleep and miss the game.
    Looking for a hammock to sleep in at night after hunting hard for elk from daybreak till the sun goes down and maybe to relax for a couple hours in the afternoon in between hunts. Mobility is the key as well as easy set up and take down to be as mobile as possible. Weight is not that big of deal. Anything under 5lbs fits great in my system.

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    I currently own a WBBB 1.7 DL, WBB traveler DL, CJH ultralight and a CJH NX-250, if I could only have one for all seasons and conditions I would take the NX-250 hands down no questions. Excellent craftsmanship, made in America (unlike HH, made in china), great versatility, best set up to go to ground if above the treeline. Don't get me wrong the WB's are awesome and I love them when my treks are fast and light, however like I said if I could only have one...

If you do decide on the CJH, I would highly reccomend upgrading to the Vertex tarp and swapping out the stock suspension with some whoopie slings.

That's my 2¢…
    Fair Winds & Following Seas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast