Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Headed to the Algonquin...

I'm taking a group of high school students up to the Algonquin in Canada on Saturday...any Canadian friends know if there are any restrictions on hammocks up there? Also, how are the black flies this time of year? The weather forecast looks great right now and I'm excited to go!!

Hammock
    Dangerbird 1.8 single
    Tarp
    HH Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I can tell you that Algonqin Park has a restriction of 3 shelters per site but I have never heard of rangers enforcing this. As of yet hammocks are not an issue I have hung several times in Algonquin without a hint of protest from a ranger. Can't tell you about the black fly situation, but the weather here in Ontario has been unusually cool for the month of June so I would not be surprised to get a few bites. Enjoy your visit to one of my country's gems.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info...this will be my third trip up there, but never in the month of June and never with a hammock. Looking forward to testing the Dangerbird out. Indeed, the Algonquin is a sweet park!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    If you're going interior in Algonquin Park (not The Algonquin...sigh), then there are no restrictions on hammocks but do treat our trees with care!

Organized campgrounds in Algonquin Park have restrictions on the number of pieces of equipment that can be set up on a campsite. As well, the campsites are designed to hold 'standard' camping equipment and as such, may not be easy to hang in. Most of the vegetation that's left are meant to be visual barriers between sites.

The blackflies weren't bad at all when I spent the night out on the very edge of Algonquin last Monday, but the mosquitoes were so plentiful that it was stupid. Bring plenty of insect repellant!!

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    My son and I have been using hammocks for a few years in the interior of Algonquin without any issues. A couple years ago we got "Oh ... you are one of those guys" ..... not sure what he meant, but still no issue. We had 5 guys this spring .... 3 hammocks and 2 tents .... still no issue. I think the restriction to the number of shelters is to discourage the partiers and help to keep the sites a reasonable size and in reasonable shape.

As noted above, if you are staying along the highway (a.k.a the corridor), there is no place to hang and the rangers enforce the rules a little more so have a backup plan .... like going to ground.

Be safe, enjoy the area and when canoeing, keep the open side up!
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Suspension
    Webbing+Rings
    Hey there, another frequent Algonquin Park hanger here... never had a problem with rangers, in fact one got curious when he heard about a couple of hammockers heading in to the park and he made the drive to our site to check out our Clarks!

I hear the black flies aren't bad at the moment but the mosquitos are pretty horrendous... especially in the bush which means portaging can be pretty painful this time of year. Bring lots of bug dope, and even a bug shelter may be a good idea to keep things from getting too miserable...

The algonquinadventures.com forum has a thread on bugs, people update it as they come out of the bush...
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/35288...021/BUG+UPDATE

Have fun!

• + New Posts