Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander'nFool View Post
    I would say this was probably one of the most challenging trails I have done to date. I fell, eh hem, sauntered a few times... more than any other trail. I put my trekking poles to good use. Important to stop and relax the mind and body and take in the beauty. This is not a trail to do without being in shape. I can attest to this, because I am a bit out of shape. The hills are not killer, but a few do take your breathe away. The rustic sense of the trail is the challenge...lots of pointed, sharp rocks on the trail, in camp and under the lakes. You have to stay mentally focussed, a real head down trail. This is why it is so easy to miss the camp site markers. The cairns are very much appreciated. Without a doubt, the second and third night sites were the top two campsites I have ever hammocked. It was like Mother Nature created the sites special, just for us hammockers. I was not fond of the clear cuts on the Kek. I understand the need for the cuts, but I do not have to like them. The good thing is, the clear cut trail sections are not very long. We are water flush up here right now, so water was plentiful. Though, we had a few sections that carrying extra water was prudent. Do not leave your compass and map at home...you will need them on this trail.

I tried out a few new pieces of gear this trip...

Warbonnet Attachable Bug Net (Borrowed from Shug's Outfitters); A nicely crafted piece of gear, worked with my WL Lite Owl. WL does make their own too. Shug has shock cord attached on both ends of the net's attachment loops. Rather than attach the loops where the suspension meets your hammock, I looped the shock cord through the biners where my suspension attach to my huggers. The net adjusted/settled well with my hammock. I learned that an attachable bug net is just not my cup-o'-tea. I used it the first night and then used my head net for the remaining two nights. I was covered from neck down in my comfy JRB Hudson River TQ. I do see an WBBB XLC in my future. A longer hammock fits me right and provides a great flat lay.

Rab Lotok mid gaiters; I like these gaiters because they close on top of your shoe, not on the sides. For me, easier to get on and off. They are waterproof and breathable(eVent). Did a fine job of keeping my feet and socks dry and the ticks off. Velcro closing with snaps. Undershoe strap is solid. These gaiters are not ultralight, however, for me... practicality and safety rules... in this case, weight is not an issue.

Tilley Endurables Eco-Airflo Hat; This hat kept the sun out of my eyes, the sweat off of my brow and is super comfortable. Nature's air conditioning, when dipped in water and placed back on your head. And you all saw, it is quite comfortable to sleep in.

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra CS WP Trail Running shoes; This shoe totally delivered for me. Scored a nice deal at REI with membership discount and dividend. Surprised they are sold as a trail runner? The rigid sole handled the Snowbank trail sharp rocks very well and the uppers withstood the same beating. The toe cap protects very, very well. I was not sure I would like the lacing system, but I do. The system provides a nice plus... in camp, I can easily loosen the lacing to the max and they became a comfortable camp shoe.

A bit about backpacking with Shug. Yep, he talks a lot...sings a lot... and rips up the trail. But, there is not a finer fellow to follow on the trail. A learned backpacker who shares his knowledge with respect and carries a good soul. And heck, he is quiet when he sleeps Me? Not so much.
    Thanks Wander'n Fool. I'm in the market for a new hat and a pair of trail runners and will check out those you mentioned.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Good adventure, I kinda like be'n half lost, makes the brain work a little over time. Thanks for take'n us along.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander'nFool View Post
    I would say this was probably one of the most challenging trails I have done to date. I fell, eh hem, sauntered a few times... more than any other trail. I put my trekking poles to good use. Important to stop and relax the mind and body and take in the beauty. This is not a trail to do without being in shape. I can attest to this, because I am a bit out of shape. The hills are not killer, but a few do take your breathe away. The rustic sense of the trail is the challenge...lots of pointed, sharp rocks on the trail, in camp and under the lakes. You have to stay mentally focussed, a real head down trail. This is why it is so easy to miss the camp site markers. The cairns are very much appreciated. Without a doubt, the second and third night sites were the top two campsites I have ever hammocked. It was like Mother Nature created the sites special, just for us hammockers. I was not fond of the clear cuts on the Kek. I understand the need for the cuts, but I do not have to like them. The good thing is, the clear cut trail sections are not very long. We are water flush up here right now, so water was plentiful. Though, we had a few sections that carrying extra water was prudent. Do not leave your compass and map at home...you will need them on this trail.

I tried out a few new pieces of gear this trip...

Warbonnet Attachable Bug Net (Borrowed from Shug's Outfitters); A nicely crafted piece of gear, worked with my WL Lite Owl. WL does make their own too. Shug has shock cord attached on both ends of the net's attachment loops. Rather than attach the loops where the suspension meets your hammock, I looped the shock cord through the biners where my suspension attach to my huggers. The net adjusted/settled well with my hammock. I learned that an attachable bug net is just not my cup-o'-tea. I used it the first night and then used my head net for the remaining two nights. I was covered from neck down in my comfy JRB Hudson River TQ. I do see an WBBB XLC in my future. A longer hammock fits me right and provides a great flat lay.

Rab Lotok mid gaiters; I like these gaiters because they close on top of your shoe, not on the sides. For me, easier to get on and off. They are waterproof and breathable(eVent). Did a fine job of keeping my feet and socks dry and the ticks off. Velcro closing with snaps. Undershoe strap is solid. These gaiters are not ultralight, however, for me... practicality and safety rules... in this case, weight is not an issue.

Tilley Endurables Eco-Airflo Hat; This hat kept the sun out of my eyes, the sweat off of my brow and is super comfortable. Nature's air conditioning, when dipped in water and placed back on your head. And you all saw, it is quite comfortable to sleep in.

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra CS WP Trail Running shoes; This shoe totally delivered for me. Scored a nice deal at REI with membership discount and dividend. Surprised they are sold as a trail runner? The rigid sole handled the Snowbank trail sharp rocks very well and the uppers withstood the same beating. The toe cap protects very, very well. I was not sure I would like the lacing system, but I do. The system provides a nice plus... in camp, I can easily loosen the lacing to the max and they became a comfortable camp shoe.

A bit about backpacking with Shug. Yep, he talks a lot...sings a lot... and rips up the trail. But, there is not a finer fellow to follow on the trail. A learned backpacker who shares his knowledge with respect and carries a good soul. And heck, he is quiet when he sleeps Me? Not so much.
    You made me misty there Wandern'........

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    I think you might be starting to like that new pack of yours! Camp site number two is almost as picture perfect as camp site number one. Good news on the fixed knee being better than the good knee. I could tell that the worst part of that trip was the end. It’s often a bit sad to reach the end of a walk. You’ll be back! It looked to be a really good loop. Thanks for the 3 part trip report Mr Shug, they were all really good!
    I really did like that pack. Carried my load very comfortably. Around 22 pounds first day. Lots of food!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    There ain't no sunshine when you and WF are gone.......Well I reckon memories of good times and a trip on the horizon .
    Wait till the three of us go....we can sing to madness!

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Great videos and reports WF and Shug... I really enjoyed being up north with ya
    Many thanks. Our pleasure..

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Looks like you two had a great time. Beautiful scenery there, and a big thumbs-up on the successful land nav.

Thanks for the word report, Wander'nFool; it's always nice to get a feel for the trail both in words and video.

Interesting how much the temperature can vary, even in summer, that far north. Seems like the skeeters were almost as bad as they get down here after a rain.

Thanks for taking us along!
    I love navigating, second guessing and wondering.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner968 View Post
    Thanks Wander'n Fool. I'm in the market for a new hat and a pair of trail runners and will check out those you mentioned.
    He sure went on about the virtues of both))))))

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Good adventure, I kinda like be'n half lost, makes the brain work a little over time. Thanks for take'n us along.
    True...gets the blood excited.

Wonderful final installment, thanks for taking the time to do the videos, they are very much enjoyed.

Wanderin thanks for the written report, I have been debating on trying the head net thing on my next outing so I can use a lighter hammock and leave the bug sock home, but not sure how I will like it.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Wonderful final installment, thanks for taking the time to do the videos, they are very much enjoyed.

Wanderin thanks for the written report, I have been debating on trying the head net thing on my next outing so I can use a lighter hammock and leave the bug sock home, but not sure how I will like it.
    Thanks.....filming is kinda fun so it is not work. Watching myself.....that is work!

Shug,
    The only thing I cannot figure is how you cannot throw a line and TRY to catch dinner? Given where you live those lakes have to be full of all kinds of fish.Us easterners do not have the luxury of fishing 1000 lakes? I imagine half the lakes look alike so getting lost looks pretty easy to do. Great videos,keep it up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    7:30... one of those times when you shake your head because how can something be that beautiful?

Wander'nFool is the perfect foil to the "essence of Shug"... makes me crack up. Plus, I just noticed Packit Gourmet ships to New Zealand... nice, all we really have on the shelves here is Back Country Cuisine which... isn't so great! Course, paying international shipping rates for dehydrated food might be a step too far in the crazy direction

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Gumbo, Reeses, and a calm glassy lake...don't get a whole lot better than that!

Cheers!

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    What a great trip

Wander'nFool and you make a great pair, one a quite listener, and another who enjoys talking.

Very much enjoyed the trip Thanks for taking us along
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast