Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Colorado Trail on fire

Not so much a trip report, as a Trail report.

I got called-out last night to work traffic for the newest forest fire in Colorado; the Lime Gulch Fire. Totally sucked, in case anybody was wondering.

Anyway, Segment 2 of the CT is closed; Segment 1 has been closed for a while. Anybody that has hiked that segment before knows it is already part of a burn area from many years ago. Hate to see what kind of Hellish landscape will remain after this one. Segment 3 is technically open to hike, but I don't know why anybody would want to exert themselves while sucking in all that smoke.

Anyway, I'm just kind of sad about it and figured there are enough Colorado hangers on HF to merit posting the info. If you wanna hike the CT, I wouldn't start anywhere short of Segment 5.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Sucks to hear that.

At least when we get fires here in the Pine Barrens, which we do raher often, the undergrowth gets going green pretty quick and many of the pine trees outlast the fire. (Pitch Pines)

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OutAndBack and I mountain biked (actually hike-a biked) section 3 west to east Friday and Saturday. We were going to do section 2 but got to the road we needed to access the west TH and were told by the police and forest service personnel stationed there it was closed due to fire.

So were headed to section 3. We didn't catch a hint or smell of smoke until later in the evening at camp. That was a little unnerving, laying in our hammocks not knowing if it was just smoke from that fire or if there was something moving in on us.

Images
    UPDATE: About two hours ago a new fire started on the CT seg 1 waterton canyon road.
    I can see the smoke from my house.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I have been sort of scouting around for camp sites West and North of Denver this year and I am amazed at how many of these places are either burned or devastated by pine beetle.

I went up to Elk Meadows off of Hwy 36 to Estes Park and there were 5-8 ft piles of cut up dead wood everywhere. They had the FS road closed off.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    DIY 1.5D Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY CC hex
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DC, DB, WS
    Very sad. I've lived in Colorado my whole life and every fire hurts my soul.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'm curious, I read in another post that you could not tie off to trees in CO. Are ya'll using the handy hammock or something like it??

Sorry to hear about the fire. Mother nature will rebuild.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I guess we in the west understand dry conditions and fire like those in the east understand tornadoes and hurricanes. Let's all be careful out there1

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    I'm curious, I read in another post that you could not tie off to trees in CO. Are ya'll using the handy hammock or something like it??

Sorry to hear about the fire. Mother nature will rebuild.
    I looked for regulations regarding hanging hammocks in the national parks brochures and couldn't find any. I talked to a ranger who told me there aren't any specific restrictions regarding hammocks. However, he also told me they were concerned about damage to trees. Since I was using straps, it was no problem.

I have also not found any references to hammocks in the Colorado state park regulations either.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Correction
    I just found a thread, search on "50 state project", regarding CO state parks. Here's the deal - they don't allow you to hang anything from the trees.

Google doc listing states and their hammock policies here: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...Vap8#rows:id=1

That's the bad news. The good news is that there are plenty of places to camp in the National Parks here. However, if you camp in one of the campgrounds, you have to set up in the designated tent pad area and not all of them have trees in the right places for hanging a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast