Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    AngryDaddyBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Hammock
    HH and WB
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Stock setup
    Posts
    332

    HH Expedition Zip & UL Backpacker Mosquito Problem!

    Hi everyone. Ok so after laying in my yard for an hour I got several mosquito bites on my back. Its 78 degrees so pads or anything under me is very hot! Is it possible to add a sheet or nylon material similar to the hammock as a barrier under it to keep mosquitos away from thehammock? Similar to an underquilt I guess.
    Anyone make something like this? I really rathe not use Off or other insect repellents.
    Help please... Any Ideas?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    craige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midlothian, Scotland
    Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Posts
    1,464
    Images
    4

    Re: HH Expedition Zip & UL Backpacker Mosquito Problem!

    2q2z offer a breathable underquilt protector that would probaly work well.

  3. #3
    Member Chiefstryker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper Hammock
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Whoopies
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    Hi everyone. Ok so after laying in my yard for an hour I got several mosquito bites on my back. Its 78 degrees so pads or anything under me is very hot! Is it possible to add a sheet or nylon material similar to the hammock as a barrier under it to keep mosquitos away from thehammock? Similar to an underquilt I guess.
    Anyone make something like this? I really rathe not use Off or other insect repellents.
    Help please... Any Ideas?
    Thanks.
    There is nothing specifically designed for this function for the all in one hammocks, that I know about. I believe that most people would just treat the hammock with permethrin in your case, but I see you don't want to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    2q2z offer a breathable underquilt protector that would probaly work well.
    I second craige's opinion, it is probably the option I would go with. The only other options, I can think of would be to make your own underquilt protector style bug net or to add a secondary bugnet of the style that goes around the gathered end type hammocks such as the buginator by BIAS. http://www.buttinasling.com/buginator.html But the issue with this is that it would cut down on air flow and being able to see out of your hammock.

    I hope that this helps.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Posts
    1,506
    permethrin is what I use but I do understand why you would not want to.

    If I was not using permethrin I would use my no sew poncho liner under quilt (PLUQ) and vent it well on each end. I would also spray the PLUQ with permethrin just to keep the bugs away since it won't come in contact with your body it should not pose health risks.

  5. #5
    Chigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    HH Dia. & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    permethrin is what i use but i do understand why you would not want to.

    If i was not using permethrin i would use my no sew poncho liner under quilt (pluq) and vent it well on each end. I would also spray the pluq with permethrin just to keep the bugs away since it won't come in contact with your body it should not pose health risks.
    how about whatever scrap material you might have at hand that you could treat with permethrin and hang it underneath.

  6. #6
    Senior Member shhQuiet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Posts
    108

    HH Expedition Zip & UL Backpacker Mosquito Problem!

    I second the use of permethrin. It repels and kills and it's odorless.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

  7. #7
    AngryDaddyBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Hammock
    HH and WB
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Stock setup
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    2q2z offer a breathable underquilt protector that would probaly work well.
    Will check that out! Thanks!

  8. #8
    AngryDaddyBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Hammock
    HH and WB
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Stock setup
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstryker View Post
    There is nothing specifically designed for this function for the all in one hammocks, that I know about. I believe that most people would just treat the hammock with permethrin in your case, but I see you don't want to do that.



    I second craige's opinion, it is probably the option I would go with. The only other options, I can think of would be to make your own underquilt protector style bug net or to add a secondary bugnet of the style that goes around the gathered end type hammocks such as the buginator by BIAS. http://www.buttinasling.com/buginator.html But the issue with this is that it would cut down on air flow and being able to see out of your hammock.

    I hope that this helps.
    I don't mind using Permethrin if I have to.
    Might have to make something if I get a sewing machine. Lol.. Those secondary nets look pretty cool too.

  9. #9
    AngryDaddyBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Hammock
    HH and WB
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Stock setup
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    permethrin is what I use but I do understand why you would not want to.

    If I was not using permethrin I would use my no sew poncho liner under quilt (PLUQ) and vent it well on each end. I would also spray the PLUQ with permethrin just to keep the bugs away since it won't come in contact with your body it should not pose health risks.
    I better do some reading on diy under quilts!

  10. #10
    AngryDaddyBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Hammock
    HH and WB
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Stock setup
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    how about whatever scrap material you might have at hand that you could treat with permethrin and hang it underneath.
    Good Idea!

Similar Threads

  1. UL Backpacker v Expedition v Hyperlight?
    By jameyt in forum Hennessy Hammocks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 00:32
  2. Ultralight Backpacker vs. Expedition size/lay
    By jloden in forum Hennessy Hammocks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 17:05
  3. WTB a Hennessey Expedition Asm or Backpacker Asm
    By hang-n parson in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 13:04
  4. Expedition vs. Mosquito
    By hacktorious in forum Claytor Hammocks
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 06:42
  5. Mosquito Hammock Expedition or Jungle
    By dsshepard in forum Claytor Hammocks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 14:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •