WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Exclamation Sewing HELP

Okay. Been a while since I did anything "big" with my wife's sewing machine. The last ripstop item I did was a Frostline down jacket in 1970 something.
    I want to use my HH ULBA fly to make a double layer pocket for the hammock. I'm getting a new OES SpinnUL 11'x10' in a few days and don't need the HH tarp anymore.
    What type stitch should I be using? Stitch count? What type of thread? Any advice on the sewing needed for closing up the foot across the gathered end - layout and sew flat or try a small amount of gathering? Will I need to seal the seam in the hammock?
    I figured out to sew it aligned with the Aysm line so the pad will be aligned with that and I can have normal sleep position. Anything else I'm missing would be appreciated.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I assume you are going to lose the bottom entry as you have the #3 zipper mod. The Hennessey gathered whipping is all heat sealed I believe. It could be real tough trying to spread that out to sew it nicely. I don't know what the original tarp looks like, but my suggestion would be not to sew it at all. Rather, I would suggest you follow the design on the forum for making the tarp into a bottom cover. That would hang suspended like an underquilt, allowing you to remove it if the desire or need should arise. If you want to put a dedicated pad sleeve in, I would put it in the undercover. Then you can actually work flat and not have to worry about gathers or anything like that. You might need to buy a little extra fabric for the sleeve but the whole project would be worlds simpler and more flexible. My $.02.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Okay. I think that can work. If I double over the fly and sew it flat around the sides and the foot end, I can make a sleeve. I can put seam tape along the folded edge to make a smoother operation on that side. All the other edges are already seam taped.
    I can gather up the foot end some, put in some tie outs on the corners and hang it like my Nest UQ. Tie outs at the top end also to hold it in place. What do you think?

Sounds simple enough. Sewing it is the bigger problem.
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Sewing it is the bigger problem.
    "We don't sew... We Make Gear!" vids may provide some insight there. Particularly the "Behind the Mysteries" episode.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Gutterman polyester thread if you can find it. Sold at Jo Ann's Fabrics
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks. Pretty much what I needed is in there. Next week looks like a good time to start. This is a scouting weekend. One last service project before I have to get everything ready for my VA section hike at end of the month.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Rockdawg - if there's any other notions you need (reinforcement fabric, D-rings, webbing), let me know and I'll throw it in your package that's going out tomorrow.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Rockdawg - if there's any other notions you need (reinforcement fabric, D-rings, webbing), let me know and I'll throw it in your package that's going out tomorrow.
    Thanks Brian. Sent you a separate email on that.
    Rockdawg69

• + New Posts