Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

i.d.i. poncho + liner: Insultex Material

I recently received an interesting item: an Insultex NBU All-In-One.

Very interesting piece of gear. Sorry, I have no digital camera and hence no pictures.

It came all zipped up in a carry case with a handle and shoulder strap.

When unzipped, it folds out and you find that the carry case zipper is actually a zipper sewed to the outside of the poncho and the carry case is actually the poncho itself.

It weighs 34.15 oz or 32.65 oz without the shoulder strap.

When zipped up as a carry case it resembles a large zippered 3-ring binder - the kind that zips up. The handle/shoulder strap is on the spine.

The poncho has 4 zippers:

1. carry case zipper,
    2. perimeter zipper to make a sleeping bag,
    3. poncho head hole zipper, and
    4. poncho hood pouch zipper

The first 3 zippers are 2-way zippers with sliders on both ends that can meet in the middle or anywhere along the zipper. This is especially convenient for those zippers.

As a sleeping bag, the zipper can be closed completely, kind of like a body bag. If you are claustrophobic I wouldn't recommend doing that though since there are no zipper pulls on the inside. The zippers do not open on the ends so you cannot match 2 together as a large sleeping bag.

Dimensions:

1. As a carry case: 17" x 11" x 4"
    2. Opened and laid on floor/ground: 87" x 54"
    3. Zipped as a sleeping bag: 87" x 27"
    4. As a poncho: 54" wide x 43.5" long

To use as a poncho, first unzip the head hole then unzip the hood pouch opening and pull the hood from the built-in pouch, then slip on as usual for a poncho and adjust hood. The hood has huge flaps for the neck. The flaps serve to protect the front, sides and back of the neck and to keep water out of the hood pouch. There are matching Velcro tabs along the edges to hold the sides together. The hood has a draw cord with cord locks on both ends for adjusting the hood opening. There is no bill on the hood. The draw cord is a heavy braided cord and the cord locks are large to accommodate the cord. I immediately replaced the draw cord with 1.75 mm Lash-It guy line cord and micro-cord locks. I never understand why the manufacturers insist on the heaviest and thickest cord they can use for draw cords. I guess it may be easier to use with mittens on your hands. I always immediately replace such draw cords.

You might think that 32.65 oz if kind of heavy for a poncho. Well Yes and No. Consider that it is both a poncho and a poncho liner all in one. As a poncho liner, the weight is comparable to my Wiggy's poncho liners. The fabric is breathable, so you won't get the same sauna effect of a silnyl poncho, more like a Dri Ducks poncho. With the built in poncho liner, it can be used in cool or cold weather. I tried the shower test as a poncho and it performed very well. Since I haven't had it out in a prolonged downpour, I cannot attest to it's performance under those conditions. I suspect it would do well.

As a sleeping bag, it could probably be used as a 3 season bag. At least late spring, summer and early fall. Same for use as an under quilt. For use as an under cover, it could be used year round and would provide blow under protection for a down under quilt and add quite a bit to the insulation value. It could be used as a top quilt with the zipper closing one end for a foot box.

My Mountain Laural Designs silnyl poncho cost more and weighs 11.25 oz and has no insulating properties whatsoever. The MLD poncho in a stuff sack is a cylinder 8" high and with a 4" diameter.

My Dri Ducks poncho cost considerably less and weighs 8.7 oz and also has little to no insulating properties. My Dri Ducks ponchos are also cylinders 8" high and with 4" diameters.

The Insultex Poncho is bulkier, but that is to be expected since it is also a poncho liner. The bulkiness is not a problem though since it is water-proof and can be easily strapped to the exterior of the pack, bottom, top, sides or back. Since it zips into it's own carry case, packing it is no problem.

The Insultex poncho can be used in a wider variety of weather conditions than either the MLD or Dri Ducks ponchos. It is my impression that is more durable than the either the MLD or Dri Ducks ponchos. The Dri Ducks is the more fragile of the three.

I can buy 10 Dri Ducks ponchos for what I paid for the MLD poncho and 9 for what I paid for the Insultex poncho. The MLD poncho is an excellant silnyl poncho with excellant craftsmanship in design and construction, but I don't think the MLD poncho is worth 10 Dri Ducks, but I'm certain the Insultex is worth more than 9 Dri Ducks. Considerably more.

Since it is a simple rectangle, it can also be easily modified for use as a Bridge Hammock underquilt, undercover or overcover or used as a top quilt with no modification. If you follow the pattern JRB have used for modifying the Dri Ducks poncho, this poncho could be modified in the same manner for use with other hammocks.

The modifications I make for a Bridge Hammock under quilt and under cover are extremely minimal and take about an hour. For use as an undercover, I add 4 1" lengths of guy line cord on the perimeter and 6 opposed guy line loops on opposing perimeter edges. The loops are for 1/8" diameter shock cord which goes up and over the ridge line and hooks into the loops using wire gate micro-carabiners. The 4 1" guy line lengths are used to hook to the corners of the Bridge Hammock. That snugs it up to the Bridge Hammock with no air gaps.

Add another 30 minutes for measuring and sewing the over cover modifications and it can serve all 3 uses. The overcover modifications are also on the perimeter only and so none of the modifications interfere with the use as a poncho. For use as an overcover with an under quilt, it would probably match my Wiggy's ponchos in extending the temperature range down about another 15 F to 20 F. It could also be used on a Bridge Hammock as an over cover with no modifications simply by draping it over the ridge line and hanging down the sides.

I've tried the poncho out in cold weather. I put it on and stepped outside in the shade of very early morning, the sun was up, but not over the trees yet, so I was in the shade. I had denims and a simple Tee shirt on. I had stripped down to just a Tee shirt to make sure that any insulation for my torso and upper arms was from the poncho only. The wind was calm and the temperature was between 29 Deg F and 31 deg F, just below freezing. I wrapped the poncho around myself, keeping my arms tucked inside. I was comfortable. Not overly warm, but definitely not cold or even cool. My hands were cold since I had them outside the poncho holding it wrapped around me. If I had been wearing my normal flannel winter shirt, I would have been very comfortable with the combination of shirt and poncho providing plenty of insulation. I could very easily use the poncho as an around camp serape in cold weather. By using a rope as a belt, it would be easier to keep the sides tucked and close the sides to wind.

When zipped up in it's carry case mode, it can be used as a sit pad with a lot of cushion. I think I would tend not to do so since that could abrade the outside of the poncho and possibly have ill effects on it's water proofness.

The poncho is designed with stadium use in mind and not backpacking, so it could not accomodate a large backpack without exposing the backs of the calfs. This may or may not be a deterent. It isn't for me.

From my limited experience with the poncho so far, I am very satisfied with the purchase and looking forward to using it on trips in the future.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Wow that looks nice
    But 100$ ?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks for the report TeeDee. Size seems perfect for a bridge hammock under-cover. I like the weather protection+insulation aspect of it.

I liked the parkas on the site you linked to as well.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir White Wolf View Post
    Wow that looks nice
    But 100$ ?
    The price seems high when compared to a poncho and it may be if all you want is a poncho and don't need or want the insulation also. Well almost, you can get the MLD silnyl poncho for $160 or $155 for Cuban. So a good silnyl poncho can cost you almost double - no breathability, no insulation.

When compared to a poncho liner though, the price isn't really that high. The only other poncho liner that I know of that compares for insulating value is Wiggy's. He is no longer selling out his stock for $17.00 and now his price is $60.00 (NOTE: it was, I see it is now $100). That is a fair price when compared to other high end poncho liners for $50.00 that are simple polyester batting. Wiggy's poncho liners are thicker and do not pack down nearly as small as the insultex poncho + liner.

Now throw in the fact that it is also a poncho and not just a poncho liner. To get comparable insulation, you can buy Wiggy's poncho liner for $100.00 and then for $13 buy a Ranger Rick conversion kit from Brigade Quartermasters for the head hole and you have more money invested ($100 + $13 == $113 or $23 more) and you still don't have the water proofness of the Insultex poncho + liner. Or you can maybe get a little cheaper and buy everything from Brigade Quartermasters:lightweight silnyl poncho, $39.99, GI TYPE PONCHO LINER, $27.99, Ringer Rick Conversion kit, $12.99, and you have grand total from Brigade quartermasters of $80.97 for a grand total savings of $9.02. And that doesn't count your time installing the Ranger Rick conversion kit. And I have serious doubts that the insulation of the BQ poncho liner is anything comparable to either the Insultex or Wiggy's. And you also have more bulk (Wiggy's poncho liner or the BQ poncho liner bulks more than the Insultex poncho+liner) in that you have the separate bulk of the poncho and the poncho liner and 2 items instead of 1. You can probably get cheaper poncho liners, but I wouldn't give you squat for their insulating qualities.

Also, now consider the perimeter zipper converts it to a good 3 season sleeping bag and you are getting what you are paying for.

In fact, now the Insultex poncho + liner is a real bargain. You can always go cheap with the Dri Ducks and freeze when the temperature drops suddenly in that thunder storm directly overhead. A 30 F or more sudden temperature drop can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Thanks for the report TeeDee. Size seems perfect for a bridge hammock under-cover. I like the weather protection+insulation aspect of it.

I liked the parkas on the site you linked to as well.

Grizz
    Yes the size is great for the Bridge Hammock (and any other hammock also probably - but then I wouldn't know about that anymore - I'm kind of partial to my Bridges). That is one of the great attributes of the Bridge - making under quilts and over covers is trivial.

When I read this review, I was pretty sure the insulation would work for 3 seasons at least and when used as undercover for an underquilt, the two probably couldn't be beat.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    TeeDee, This does look like a promising piece of gear. As an underquilt for a gathered hammock, do you think it would allow for too many air pockets or voids? One plus for down is that it fills most voids that would possibly be cold spots. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    TeeDee, This does look like a promising piece of gear. As an underquilt for a gathered hammock, do you think it would allow for too many air pockets or voids? One plus for down is that it fills most voids that would possibly be cold spots. Mule
    Mule - For a gathered end hammock??

I couldn't say one way or another for a gathered end hammock.

I would have to guess that it would probably be like any other rectangular piece adapted to fit in that I would guess that it could be made to fit. The fit would be determined by the persistence of the person doing the fitting. If you have access to a JRB modified Dri Ducks (or one modified in the same manner), you could probably tell how well the Insultex poncho+liner would fit if the same modifications were made to the Insultex poncho+liner.

So for a gathered end hammock ?? Somebody with experience fitting under quilts to one would know better.

For fitting as an underquilt or under cover for a Bridge Hammock - trivial to get a prefect fit with no air gaps - I'm partial and heavily biased

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I know, I am glad I still have my bridges too. Lately it's been so nice though getting to take a small tarp with my BB. Thanks for the excellent stuff you give us on the forum. Mule

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Mule - I just had another thought on this that may be better for answering your question.

The Insultex poncho+liner is very flexible. It is not stiff like a regular poncho liner. If you have ever handled a Wiggy's poncho liner, it is very stiff and inflexible in comparison. When wearing it as a poncho, it feels more like a poncho and less like a poncho line.

Does that make sense??

If you look on the web site, you can see that they make parkas and jacket out of this stuff, so it is more like jacket material.

The flexibility would make fitting under a gathered end hammock easier.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Thanks again, TeeDee, I have one of the JRB poncho's made of Dry Duck stuff that I need to modify (waiting on sewing machine to be repaired) for an under cover. Maybe after that I will buy one of these ponchos and do some experimenting. Wouldn't it be something if you didn't need anything but one of these down to about freezing? Mule

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The price seems high when compared to a poncho and it may be if all you want is a poncho and don't need or want the insulation also. Well almost, you can get the MLD silnyl poncho for $160 or $155 for Cuban. So a good silnyl poncho can cost you almost double - no breathability, no insulation.
    I don't understand why the cuban is cheaper.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast