Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    A hammock can work both ways. I was on a trip last memorial day with a bunch of friends from college, our 31st annual canoe trip together, and the first night I was beat because of work and other things. I did not want to miss the fire time, so I hung not too far from the fire, got all snuggled down into my warm bag, it was 30 degrees, and simply lay there amongst them and listened and watched and recalled many memories from trips past.

I awoke the next morning to the sound of someone starting the fire. I drifted off at some point, yet it felt as though I had been part of the social life from the evening before. The advantage of a hammock is the flexibility. Unless you are in an area with no trees, you can hang just about anywhere. Even ground dwellers like some protection, so it seems to me there are lots of options.

This particular night, I was on a hillside by the fire and very much part of the group. At least for a while.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I actually agree with everyone here with regard to going to sleep and the comments in this thread. Sleeping is not the only thing that a tent is for though. Depending on the weather and such, rain, cold mornings, etc... people tend to hang out in their tents, talk, tell stories etc... (My daughter likes to ping me to make sure I'm still there, "Daddy, you awake?". My wife and daughter take a tent; small 2 person ultralight). I can either sleep a bit away and not hear my daughter, or sleep on the ground outside (bivy, no I don't have another backpacking tent. The one they use was my old one that I used to use on solo hikes, before heading into the trees with hammock). If I were hiking with my buddies, the comments in this thread apply entirely. If hiking with my daughter and wife, I want to stay closer. My daughter feels more secure with me nearby (not that I'll protect her from a bear, but that the bear will get a snack and be satisfied... me. She calls my bivy a "Bear Burrito" and the hammock a "Bear Pinyata". She's 7).

Someone mentioned that the tenters like the open tarps of the hammocks, and I have to agree with that too. In rain, the hammock does tend to be the social center; which is funny, since everyone always asks about the hammock in rain. I love the sound of rain on the rainfly.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    If you're hiking and camping with your wife and daughter seems like you might be able to have a little more control on campsite choices so as to have a hanging site close enough to a tenting site. Maybe not so much with a larger crowd.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Very true. Most of the time I can actually find a decent tent/hammock site. A few times I've not found a good spot for both, but generally you're right.

One poster mentioned the "One Tree Hang"... what is that?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    One poster mentioned the "One Tree Hang"... what is that?
    Pretty much what it sounds like. Hang from one tree and use another support for the other end. Folks have used trekking poles, canoe paddles, aluminum crutches, any number of thigs. There are several threads on the forums for treeless hangs or one tree hangs.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Pretty much what it sounds like. Hang from one tree and use another support for the other end. Folks have used trekking poles, canoe paddles, aluminum crutches, any number of thigs. There are several threads on the forums for treeless hangs or one tree hangs.
    Please don't try this with collapsible trekking poles. They will....collapse. Use ski poles instead.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Where I hike there are usually trees everywhere. Even the "Clearings" arn't that big, and tho it has never been tested, my tarp has 135 square feet* of potentail coverage, AND If I so choose, it can be rigged so that you can actually walk around under it. Guess where the party will be on a rainy day.

* average sized living room (about): 196' - 400'
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Please don't try this with collapsible trekking poles. They will....collapse. Use ski poles instead.
    Point taken I stand corrected. thanks
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12