Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

backpacking with.... tenters!

When I go backpacking with friends, I think of it as a social event. Often however, the tenters (You know the type, those guys who sleep in those ground things... tents) pitch camps where there are open areas. Open areas are however, lousy for hammocks. This means that the ground dwellers are pitched near each other (social), and then in the outskirts and shadows, the proper hammock resides (anti-social). Hmmmm....... anyone have any good fixes or compromises for this situation. I want to be more social, but I don't want to give up my hammock and return to ground dwelling. Tips and advice? (And no, I don't think I'll be able to convince them all to switch to hammocks. Some, yes)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    This line of reason has always puzzled me. Maybe I am just non-social to start with. I have found that the social activity generally takes place outside the tents, with relatively few exceptions, this being a family oriented board. So I will hang around the campfire or the social gathering place until I want to wander off and sleep. Once I am in my hammock, I don't much care where the social center is. I am where I want to be. I guess what I am saying is _I_ (personal statement) don't see the problem. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Don't worry, hammocks become the centers of activity in a campsite if it is raining during meal time. Ground dwellers are notorious for stealing idea of cooking under our nice open tarps.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Once I am in my hammock, I don't much care where the social center is. I am where I want to be. I guess what I am saying is _I_ (personal statement) don't see the problem. YMMV
    I agree with that.

I think he may be saying that the tenting may happen in open areas, and he has to hammock camp some distance away. I don't think that would bother me, but I guess it could be lonesome for some.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You could pick the nearest tree to the clearing and do a one tree hang. Personally, I want to sleep away from others because of potential snoring, if for no other reason.
    Last edited by pedro; 03-05-2009 at 21:43. Reason: snoring comment

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I camp with several ground dwellers. Generally, they will all be in the clearing, side by side, and I'll be 30 ft. away in the woods. I love the solitude, privacy, peace and quiet, etc. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    BTW, so far, I've only converted one friend to hanging, but the others always check out my set-up, gather around while I set-up and take down. (Snakeskins just fascinate them) It's only a matter of time.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You could pick the nearest tree to the clearing and do a one tree hang. Personally, I want to sleep away from others because of potential snoring, if for no other reason.
    It's the noise from the other end that bothers me.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Yeah I enjoy being away for others when camping. Im usualy on my own anyway. but when I have a mate or two with us they are usualy very interested in the hammock and will chat for a minute or two about it till we realise we are shattered from the day and then crash out.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    This line of reason has always puzzled me. Maybe I am just non-social to start with. I have found that the social activity generally takes place outside the tents, with relatively few exceptions, this being a family oriented board. So I will hang around the campfire or the social gathering place until I want to wander off and sleep. Once I am in my hammock, I don't much care where the social center is. I am where I want to be. I guess what I am saying is _I_ (personal statement) don't see the problem. YMMV

I completely agree. Nothing about sleeping is social to me so if I find a spot that's 50 feet away to sleep I have no issues at all. Maybe if it were a 1/4 mile walk or something I might feel a little isolated but I hate hearing people talking, moving, zipping, unzipping, snoring, burping, arguing and so-forth. I much prefer a little distance from the congregation.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I have to agree with everyone... I will sit around the fire and socialize, but when I'm ready for bed, I'm ready for bed. Since I generally crash before my friends do, having a bit of distance is rather convenient, as this helps their talking fade into the background.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast