Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods necessary?

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    Stock for now

Mods necessary?

Got a question about the necessity of modifying my Eno DN. I just got my first hammock as a gift and for now don't have any long backpacking trips lined up (unfortunately)...I've seen pictures of other DN's that have big clunky carabiners on them. Mine has smaller, lighter, black ones. Is it worth modifying to whoopies at this point (aka will they provide any more strength, stability, etc?) since I'm not as concerned about weight? Thanks

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Here is a link that talks about some of the popular mods.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68133

Folks often replace the carabiners with climbing rated carabiners.
    Camp Nano 23's are a popular choice and the Camp Photons are available for $4 on this site until sold out.
    http://www.steepandcheap.com/steepcheap/gear-cache/2127

Whoopies are plenty strong and offer some useful adjustability.

Tree straps are a must, the Atlas straps are quick and easy but a heavier option.

Congrats on the new hammock, very comfy sling and welcome!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have had my ENO DBL for about a year and have not any done any actual mods to the unit. I did install a structural ridge line via woopie sling from carbiner to carbiner just so I did not have to "futz" around with getting the hang angle right all the time. The ridge line takes care of that for me.

However in your case I would replace the carbiners with a ones that are climbing rated. The older/heavier ones that I have hold up good, the newer lighter ones have had some issues with cracking. Of course they might have fixed that by now but for me, better safe than sorry.

I too use the Atlas straps and while they are heavier, they work great. Since I like you, do not care about weight I will continue to use them.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as my family does ours.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    The eno's that I have purchased never came with the new carabiners. They always had the heavy rope and SS Shook. IMO any of the big clunky stock rope carabiner setups that they put on their hammocks aren't adequate. The standard mod I have done on both my eno's is to replace the stock suspension with 6in continuous amsteel loops larksheaded onto 2in aluminum rings from slingrings.com. The storage bag was removed and is utilized as a bishopbag after placing a grommet on the bottom of the bag. I can use the rigs as a buckle strap suspension or larkshead a set of whoopies on the rings for a whoopie suspension.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Whoopees won't help with anything that concerns you. OTOH if you want to play with some just clip them between the carabiner and strap. Not sure what the issues with the new carabiners are. I can find a lot about switching out the old steel one's but the new one's look like and are priced as low weight climbing gear. You might want to dig more than I did.

Structural Ridge Lines makes a lot of sense. You can do it whoopee style or just clove hitch to the biners. To start try 83% of the flat distance then go from there. That seems to be the sweet spot for most folks. Under ideal conditions they have little tension but under the wrong condition they can have several times body weight. The good news is breaking one probably will not put you on the ground. The bad news is that you will probably get a good jolt. ;-)

You have a nice new bit of kit that lends itself to learning a lot about hammocks if you choose to or will just give you a comfy spot if that is all you want. enjoy it.
    Last edited by nothermark; 06-23-2013 at 09:33.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I switched to whoopies so I wouldn't have to use carabiners at all. I use tree straps and my trekking poles as toggles. Nothing extra to carry or lose... Love using the system on my Hennessy. I fixed up my ENO with the same system, waiting for winter...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    If you are not concerned about weight no mods are necessary. I use atlas straps and love them. Even though I care about weight I don't think I will change that suspension, its way to easy. I did change my carabiniers out but it was last year before they had the newer ones. My climbing rated ones were lighter, and appeared safer. Your question was do you need to change anything.... Absolutely not Enough makes a great hammock. Go out and hang in it then figure out if you want to change anything. Some people put some things that they would do, but don't do anything until you are sure you need it.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    Stock for now
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    The eno's that I have purchased never came with the new carabiners. They always had the heavy rope and SS Shook. IMO any of the big clunky stock rope carabiner setups that they put on their hammocks aren't adequate. The standard mod I have done on both my eno's is to replace the stock suspension with 6in continuous amsteel loops larksheaded onto 2in aluminum rings from slingrings.com. The storage bag was removed and is utilized as a bishopbag after placing a grommet on the bottom of the bag. I can use the rigs as a buckle strap suspension or larkshead a set of whoopies on the rings for a whoopie suspension.
    That was the issue I ran into. Everything I saw about the ENO's referenced the old biners. Couldn't find much about the new ones.

Thanks for all the feedback! Was hoping to hang today and had a big thunderstorm run through...no tarp yet so no hang. Tarp soon to come though!
    "Medicine is the art of humoring the patient while nature cures the disease." - Voltaire

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Mods give you something to do between trips. That may be the REAL value!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Ok many people suggest replacing the old silver biners with good reason but the new black ones are very good, great strength to weight ratio.
    I really like the atlas straps but they are heavy.
    I did not like whoopie slings, when they get tight they are pain to loosen up, what people refer to as milking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast