dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

4 season ripstop tarp weight?

Hey everyone I have a DIY 4 season tarp and finally got it to be completely water tight but as my first DIY sil nylon the layer is rather thank it seems like.(not exactly sure how it should feel though) but anyways it is ripstop nylon not sure 70d or 30d but anyways it is weighing at about four ad a half lbs. and im Gana make a new one with coated ripstop I have ordered.
    But my main question what's around the average weight for a fourl season 12 buy 10 tarp?

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

4 season ripstop tarp weight?

I made my wife's tarp out of 1.1oz rs silnylon from quest outfitters. It is a 12' x 10' tarp with doors. With suspension and tie outs it comes in a 23oz. So your 4.5lbs doesn't seem right to me. Hope this helps.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sounds heavy.
    For all the added hassle and expense of the diy silicone, why not try regular sil?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: 4 season ripstop tarp weight?

You must have used heavier fabric, for it to come in at 4.5lbs, 72oz that is 5oz/y +, I used the winter tarp pattern on the diy gear supply site and with tie outs, rl and hardware mine cane in at 20.5oz in the stuff sack unsealed, so sealed maybe about 21.5oz.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My old winter tarp....under 2 pounds. Made from silnylon though.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Wy does everyone say use silnylon? Would coated ripstop work fine also? Because that's what I had ordered lol if it won't work I can get sil nylon. But I have herd that sil nylon like mists sometimes when in heavy rain? That's why I went with coated ripstop. What do you guys think? I weighed the tarp before I put silicon on it and I beleave the fabric for a 12 buy 10 tarp was about 2.8lbs before treated for waterproofing.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Wy does everyone say use silnylon? Would coated ripstop work fine also? Because that's what I had ordered lol if it won't work I can get sil nylon. But I have herd that sil nylon like mists sometimes when in heavy rain? That's why I went with coated ripstop. What do you guys think? I weighed the tarp before I put silicon on it and I beleave the fabric for a 12 buy 10 tarp was about 2.8lbs before treated for waterproofing.
    Because sil is much lighter than PU-coated ripstop. Generally speaking, silicone coating adds ~0.3 oz/sq yd to the base fabric (which, for 30d ripstop nylon, is usually 1.1 oz/sq yd). Polyurethane coating usually adds at least ~1.25 oz/sq yd. So, 30d sil would come in at ~1.4 oz/sq yd while 30d PU-coated would come in at ~2.5 oz/sq yd. When you consider that a winter tarp probably has ~18 square yards of material, that's a difference of ~19.8 oz (more than a pound)!

I've not had a problem with my tarp misting, and I'm using 1.1 sil. There are two times that you're likely to have trouble with your tarp misting: one is when it has a seam that you've not sealed properly, and the other is when the dew point is close enough to the tarp's surface temperature that condensation forms on it and is knocked off by the impact of the rain. Both of which can happen with both sil and PU-coated nylon.

If the tarp was 2.8 lbs before coating and was 12' x 10', that's ~3.4 oz/sq yd material (much heavier than even 70d ripstop; it's probably in the 200d range, if not heavier). Assuming my math is right, anyway.

120 / 9 = 13.3 (the number of square yards in 120 ft). 2.8 * 16 = 44.8 (the number of ounces in 2.8 lbs). 44.8 / 13.33 = ~3.4

Anyway, if you want a super-durable tarp, 70d coated is cheap and tough (it's what they make GI ponchos with, and those're just about indestructable). But, honestly, if you're trying to cut ounces, 30d sil will do you just fine for the price. A 30d sil tarp at 12' x 10' will come in at ~18.6 oz before tie-outs and guylines and thread and seam sealing and such. Call it 19 oz before guylines and tie outs.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I wish I could figurer tuff like that I'm jealous
    Well is their a difference between sil nylon and sil impregnated nylon? Differences between them? Or both 100%waterproof?
    Another question since I have that PU 70d coated ripstop ordered how small does PU coated sips top compacted compared to 70d sil nylon? Or they rightly same size to smash into a bag?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I wish I could figurer tuff like that I'm jealous
    Well is their a difference between sil nylon and sil impregnated nylon? Differences between them? Or both 100%waterproof?
    Another question since I have that PU 70d coated ripstop ordered how small does PU coated sips top compacted compared to 70d sil nylon? Or they rightly same size to smash into a bag?
    Eh...it's just a matter of thinking about things like a word problem from math in school. If you look at it from that angle, about 90% of the problems you're likely to encounter doing this are solvable with basic arithmetic. (The rest, well, there's a reason that Grizz goes by ProfessorHammock in some of his videos...) My math tapers off somewhere around Algebra II, so it's not special at all.

Silnylon is the same as sil impregnated nylon; one is a shorthand for the other (actually, both are shorthand for "silicone-impregnated nylon"). Pretty much all of the cottage vendors who sell DIY supplies will have waterproof sil; I've never had a problem with waterproofedness of fabric from DIY Gear Supply, OWFINC, or Rockywoods (the three that I've used).

The difference in bulk between 70d fabrics is going to be negligible. The weight difference is much more noticeable than the bulk difference. They should pack down to approximately the same size. (Maybe--and this is a WAG--a 10% difference in volume? I dunno...)

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Most sil fabric offered by the vendors is 30d before the coating. In other words its 1.1 oz.
    1.3-1.5 oz/yd. approx. with the sil treatment.
    70d (1.9 oz.) plus any treatment can be as much as 3.3 oz/yd.
    PU coatings are generally heavier than sil coatings/treatments from the manufacturer. Weights can vary by product used in coating (PU vs. silicone) and the manufacturer's processes.

DIY sil treatments will vary weights depending on the techniques used.

Edit..FLRider said the same thing...lol

• + New Posts