Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Tarp ridge tightness.

Any guidelines on judging how tight the seam of a tarp should be? Sort of like the SRL test where you bend it 90*?

Let me explain why I'm asking....
    I have my chinook set up in the back yard right now trying out different CRL configurations. This tarp has a taped center seam on the underside and while its a good tarp for the money, I dont have a lot of faith in its ability to be pitched really taut. I was trying out Dutch's figure 8, two carabiner setup and I love it for the ease of centering/setup. My concern is that when I pull the adjustable end to tension the tarp, it seems the center seam on the tarp may be under too much stress and I'm worried I may damage the seam. The other way I have tried is a little more cumbersome to set up with the ridge line attached to one tree with a Siberian hitch and a truckers hitch on the other. the tarp is then connected to the CRL with prussiks and S-biners. I can get A LOT of tension on the CRL this way - like a long bass string - and then simply tension the tarp out using prussiks. It takes a little more effort to center the tarp and it doesn't allow space for the hammock suspension to pass through the CRL ends. However, it seems this way gives me a nice tight CRL and the tarp doesn't seem to be taking the brunt of the tension. Who here has tried these two methods and what have been your experiences with each? They both seem to have their merits and draw backs, Dutch's figure 8 so far being my favorite. My main concern between the two is how much tension the seam of the tarp seems to carry with one vs the other.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    I am wondering the same thing, so I'm subscribing to this thread for more info. I don't want to give up the "V" for the hammock susp. to hang clear, so your "bass string" method is tight, but why does it need to be that tight?

If widow-maker protection is the goal, then that's the way to do it. I'm sure you should be able to go just as tight as how tight the material of a hammock is, when you lay in it. A 1.1 single layer hammock's fabric stretches pretty taut when in use, so I would think a similar tension would be fine for a similar fabric'd tarp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post

If widow-maker protection is the goal, then that's the way to do it.
    The "bass string" tightness wasnt really my goal per-se, it just kind of ended up that way. More of a side effect/bonus of using the truckers hitch i guess. It kind of surprised me to tell the truth. But now that you mention it, that amount of tension could be good when it comes to the widow makers.

I went back outside to feed the mosquitoes and play a little more and ended up going back to the Dutch method and honestly, it felt like I had more tension on the seam using the no "V" method. The problem I have noticed with the no V setup, at least in my particular case, is that my tarp is 12' long and if Im hanging between trees 15' apart, there isnt alot of room to tie the truckers hitch between the tarp and tree. I end up having to retie it a couple of times to get it right so that I have enough room to slide the prusik out to tension the tarp. I like this method in that I can use snake skins with it whereas I cant seem to figure out how to use them with the V setup. Maybe Im missing something?

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    I just ordered a Dutch StingerZ™, a Dutch Carabiner and 50 feet of Zing-It. It took a lot of pondering, but I went with the dual "V" and full continuous ridge line set-up. It's the same as this illustration below.

The StingerZ™ replaces both the Prussik and the Carabiner on one end. It tensions the tarp similarly to using two end-tie-outs, but has that "SLIDE" centering ability, which makes it so you can push or pull the tarp into center, just buy grabbing one corner. I think it's brilliant. The entire rig can be easily transferred to different tarps just by unclipping the carabiner gates from the tarp ends. I think I'll be able to keep the rigging inside or outside of the snakeskins as well, making transferring to other shelters a quick dual-clip situation. (the "eye" of the StingerZ™ won't be used in my configuration, and I might grind it off - although I could splice the end of one rope into it, retaining it so it doesn't get lost, but still not being used under tension - just as a "keeper")

It's offers the same utility as this Dutch Flys and Hook method:

Except the carabiner gates gets rid of the little loops of cord and/or split-ring at the D-Rings. They just clip directly to the tarp's end-pulls. Since the zing-it is low-stretch, this will allow for a very taut pitch.

(thanks to Derek Hanson for his amazing illustrations and contributions)

Also, the total cost was less than the "Tarp Flys and Dutch Hook w/ 30 feet of cordage" kits (pictured above), yet upgraded to better/different/more convenient hardware, and longer cordage.
    Last edited by Banana Hammock; 06-24-2013 at 07:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Illustration #1 above is what im doing too. Just using s-biners because it what i had on hand. What is a good packing/deployment method for this setup? Double ended stuff sack? Snake skins, carry the line seperate or keep in the stuff sack alwaus attached to the tarp, others?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp ridge tightness.

I am going back to the Flyz from Stingerz. I found centering the tarp with the "v" of the tarp line coming off the tree to be problematic with the hammock suspension using Dutch clips. The reason is because the Dutch clips position the tree straps coming off at the side of the tree rather than on center causing an alignment issue which causes more rubbing of the hammock suspension and tarp ridge line. The Flyz allow you to position your tarp ridge directly below the hammock suspension at the side of the tree. You can also eliminate the "v" by moving the Flyz closer to the tree rather than direct attachment to the tarp.
    Last edited by pizza; 06-24-2013 at 11:39.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I don't have any faith... I rigged up my Chinook in kitchen mode with the center tie out running around a tree limb up high to stop pooling. A rain shower and moderate breeze later the center seam all but pulled apart about 8" deep. Tossing it in the stuff sack material bin. You get what you pay for I guess. It lasted me two trips.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by lattie11581 View Post
    . . . center seam all but pulled apart about 8" deep. Tossing it in the stuff sack material bin. You get what you pay for I guess. It lasted me two trips.
    Aw, man, that's horrible! My tarp doesn't have any webbing down the center seam, so I wonder if I should be careful.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
    Illustration #1 above is what im doing too. Just using s-biners because it what i had on hand. What is a good packing/deployment method for this setup? Double ended stuff sack? Snake skins, carry the line seperate or keep in the stuff sack alwaus attached to the tarp, others?
    I use #1 as well, and after a few trips landed with snake skins with the line attached. Most of the cottage industry snake skins have tiny pockets at the ends to stuff the cord ends into. Deploys in about one minute love it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by berksound View Post
    I use #1 as well, and after a few trips landed with snake skins with the line attached. Most of the cottage industry snake skins have tiny pockets at the ends to stuff the cord ends into. Deploys in about one minute love it!
    Do you have any pics of how you use the snake skins with this setup? For some reason im having trouble picturing how they work with this setup. Brain is toast, been working alot of hours lately.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast