Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Doubles Hammock?

Has anyone tried to make a doubles hammock? Any luck?

I was thinking of making a doubles hammock for my wife and myself. Together we weigh under 300lbs. I was thinking of using 1.9oz Ripstop and 1.5" webbing with 1500lb spectra. We have slept in an HH ULBA and it seemed to hold us fine, so I was thinking 120"x60".

EDIT: I am open to just a discussion on this. Even if you haven't made one let me know your ideas and what you think. Do you think 1.9oz is enough for <300lbs? Do you think the 1500lb spectra will hold? Do you think the 1.5" webbing from Speer is strong enough? etc.
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-19-2007 at 09:10.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I would try what Jeff's working on - basically two hammocks hemmed together at one edge (I think). I don't think I'd like laying right on top of somebody, even my wife Just doesn't sound too comfortable.

You've both been in a ULB?? You're a lot braver than I am! Suspension-wise, I'd definitely go with Ed's 1.5" webbing. As far as cordage, I'd just "step-up" a notch on the breaking strength - as you mentioned, 1500 lbs. should be OK. I might go a bit higher to to be safe. And 1.9 oz. should be enough for the body material. Assuming you're making it wider (see above) the stresses shouldn't be much different than for a single occupant.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    It was interesting in the HH ULBA, the hammock seemed to make its own separating barrier in the middle. I actually disliked that. Travel Hammocks has a double, I should see their dimensions.

Edit: Travel Hammock double dimensions: 10’ 5” x 6’ 5”

I don't think I can find one piece of material that wide.
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-19-2007 at 10:17.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    It was interesting in the HH ULBA, the hammock seemed to make its own separating barrier in the middle. I actually disliked that. Travel Hammocks has a double, I should see their dimensions.

Edit: Travel Hammock double dimensions: 10’ 5” x 6’ 5”

I don't think I can find one piece of material that wide.
    Material width is definitely a problem. I think doubling up and hemming in the middle is probably the easiest solution. You'll probably want to use Jeff's "W-whipping" so you have SOME separation in the middle. You don't want to be rolling over on one another all night!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I think Eds 1.5 " webbing is rated to 350#s so you should have no problems with that. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    I want to try and see if we both can lay in the orange hammock that I made. It is 60" wide, but is on the short side. I am not sure if it would really tell me anything, since it is short.

Images
    I am still working out the whole whipping and gathering things on my single hammocks. But I think that might be something to look into.

If you had something really wide, then broke that down into 2 sections 1 for each person. Then gathered it so that the middle seperating them was pulled extra tight. Than gathered both halfs seperately like you would a single hammock. That might give you the 2 distanct zones for sleeping.

If that doesn't work you could try a spreader bar with the same idea.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Well, I just ordered some 1.9oz fabric. I have decided to try out the 60" width. If it is not wide enough that just means I will need to make it narrower for a single person hammock. I have also, decided my other two hammocks were too short and ordered some 1.1oz fabric. I figure if Chantelle is coming with me we can take the 1.9oz and if she is not I use the 1.1oz. If the 1.9 is not wide enough then no big deal we will have one robust hammock and one that is for my normal use on solos. I will use the fabric from the other two to make two jackets or something. I will also make one BlackCat (but Grey) and then make have my smaller tarp for solo use.

Edit: I also decided to make the double hammock 132"x60". I think the extra length will help with how flat it can lay and then maybe we won't be right on top of each other.
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-19-2007 at 14:05.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think that double hammock is a normal width material down the middle, with ~12" panels sewn down each long side.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I think that double hammock is a normal width material down the middle, with ~12" panels sewn down each long side.
    that's how they make the eagle's nest double.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast