GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies

First extended hang/SC mountains

We just returned from our first real hammocking adventure. It was the first time we spent a whole week out with hammocks and tarps as our only shelter and most of the trip without electricity. Even with all of the time we spent preparing, we were at times very unprepared. We did learn alot and have much more to learn.

The first day was nothing short of horrible. Lessons learned on that day were:
    1. Our backpacks are worthless. We could not afford expensive backpacks, but should have waited until we could get better ones.
    2. Our packs are to heavy. We must lighten up what we bring.
    3. Maps are important

We never did find our campsite that first night. Memorizing a simple trail online does nothing if the trail is changed from what was posted online. We ended up doing our first stealth camping that night. It was getting dark and morale was very, very, low. We made camp at a beautiful waterfall along the trail.

We did not sleep much that night and woke up very early to pack up so that no one would see we camped there. Coffee in the morning by the waterfall was amazing and helped to ease the memory of the previous day's fiasco.

Because of the bad first day we did much less hiking on the rest of the trip than we had originally planned.

The second day was not much better. It started well enough. We stayed at Devils Fork State Park for the first time. We were in a tent site on the water. It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

The water was emerald green and clear like no body of water I have ever seen before. We swam and had a good time. Then the storms came in. We learned about rain that day. The ground became a river and it was hard to keep things covered and dry. There was no where to put the packs but in the hammocks under the tarp.
    Our ponchos leaked at the seams. We had our Hex tarps pitched low to the ground. We had no choice but to just get into the hammocks early and try to to sleep. It had not occurred to me what to do with a soaking wet dog shivering wanting to come into the hammock. I took my sleep shirt and dried her the best that I could and brought her in with me.

The storms came through all night. The winds were strong beating against the tarps. My husband was hung in the wrong direction of the wind and his tarp kept blowing up. I was absolutely terrified that night There had been a bear spotted in the park and I was also worrying about that. I hung there thinking that this was all a mistake and there is no way I could keep doing this in remote places if I was this scared in a state park. I can say one thing about our Hennessey Hex tarp, it kept us completely dry through all the rain and wind. My husband got a little wet near his foot end where his tarp was blowing up, but not much. My son slept like a rock the whole night and was not disturbed at all during the storms.

The next night it stormed again, only this night I was not afraid at all. Slept fine high and dry without a care. Go figure.
    We liked Devil's Fork so much we stayed another night.

We then went to Burrells Ford Campground on the Chattooga River. Wow. This place was amazing and exactly the sort of place that made us want to get into hammocks. Other campers were catching lots of fish and we wished we had poles. We hung our first bear bag there on the pulleys they had at the sites. I slept great that night again, without fear.
    We hiked trails to waterfalls and it was beautiful.

The next place we went to was Oconee State Park. It was nice family park with lots of things for my son to do. We were able to do some laundry and charge our phones. We set up our hammocks together and had the tarps above us open in porch mode. We had our lantern glowing under our tarps and it was drizzling that night and it felt like we were kids in a fort. We had the best night talking and watching people drive by gawking at us in our hammock fort.

Overall it was a great trip. I wish there was a do over button for the first day. We discovered many new places to come back to. . I look forward to working out the kinks and getting better. I think experience will be the only way to really improve. The positives certainly outshined the negatives. As a family trip, it was much more rewarding than any other rv trip we have taken. We talked and laughed so much having no phones or computers getting in the way.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images

Re: First extended hang/SC mountains

A few lessons learnt.......but overall a great family adventure.
    Good looking scenery too....
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks for the report & great pictures. Experience can be a harsh but effective teacher. I'm glad all ended well and you all are not discouraged from going out again. I look forward to another report down the road!

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Just might be the most heart warming post I have ever read.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Sounds like a great adventure! With the variety of places y'all went to the experience of family hanging just gets better. Looking forward to y'alls next trip.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Real nice briefing. Glad the trip was fun with family and your fears abated as time went.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip. You took a beagle with you? My beagle hates precipitation, and being wet, with a passion. The only way I could get him to sleep in my hammock with me was by starting him out in the rain. Hammock looked mighty fine to him when faced with getting wet!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    You don't know what you don't know. The trip was a perfect learning experience. Real time feedback is the shortcut to learning. It sounds you are willing to go again.
    Thanks for the great pictures.
    Last edited by CJK; 06-25-2013 at 21:39.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Cool pics and excellent trip report! Sounds like yawl handled it well and made some good memeories

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the story. Work's computers block photobucket, so I will have to look again later from the house. I get up to the NE corner of GA quite a bit, but haven't snuck across the border in SC yet.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast