DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    My first DIY ... a double layer 1.1 that I still use around the house or for day hikes (shown here with a friend from China checking it out)

And my second DIY ... a Jerry5. Design created by my buddy JerryW, fellow Gorge Rat ... has a fully retractable net, zips on both side ... and is my go-to hammock for most trips! Love it.

Pros:
    Everything ... fun to do, pride in using it

Cons:
    Can't really think of any ... well other than you know exactly where all your mistakes are and you can see them when others can't
    That is a MIGHTY fine project there Hawk-eye -- did you follow a pattern for that? Do you know where I can find a pattern for a rig like that? I'd love to try my hand at my own
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I told someone one time that I sewed a lot of stuff and I saw his eyebrows go up. I advised him to not look at it as sewing, but to look at it as welding cloth. He seemed to take great comfort in that simple, masculine change of perspective.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.

How many people DIY their hammocks???

I progressed from an ENO to a tablecloth hammy that already had the seams stitched. All I did was whip the ends. That progressed to 4 yards of rip stop nylon, some less than straight seams. A little end whipping and the completion of my first truly DIY hammy. Yeah there is a little pride in doing it yourself. I know I am proud to show it off.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It's what manly-men call sewing machines.
    That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I found 2 years ago an antic Singer in a table set up for $20. I plan to bring it in and have it brought up to working speed...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Tablecloth hammocks are a great way to break into DIY gear. No sewing required, and you'll have a great hammock (but maybe not ultralight) for much less than you would pay for a similar hammock anywhere else. Has a large choice of colors as well, which is why my daughter got a TC hammock, in kelly green.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I do have a special place in my heart for my gold tablecloth hammock. But that did progress to ripstop and me sewing some edges!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    That is a MIGHTY fine project there Hawk-eye -- did you follow a pattern for that? Do you know where I can find a pattern for a rig like that? I'd love to try my hand at my own
    Got one somewhere ... give me a chance to locate it and I'll get you a copy of it. JerryW is the genius behind it though.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Hawk Eye---I would like to get a copy of those plans too.

I have made several DIY hammocks, many many stuff sacks, double ended stuff sacks, tree straps ect. I got a great deal on ripstop so I have lots of ripstop (camo and coyote tan) to play with.

My next big project is to make the wife a TQ for her b'day. Just waiting on the Clamashield to get here so I can start.

Its fun making your own stuff, Don't know if you really save any $$ if you factor in the cost of the sewing machine, misc sewing supplies, fabric and time but its fun figuring out how to make the item and then showing off the finished product.

I find that by the time I am part way thru with one project, I have thought of some ways I might be able to improve the next attempt.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    welding cloth with a thread injector is horribly addictive. making a hammock is only the start to the madness.

for me it started with stuff sacks to get to know my machine. then after a couple hammocks i made one that was good and i knew i couldn't stop. made a backpack, then a hanging beer coozie over my bed (there's no safe way to set down a beer in bed, so it hangs within reach). then a frame bag for my bike. now i have the fabric on the way for some bug nets, another backpack, a rear pack for my bike, and 3 more hammocks for friends that i have turned to the hanging side. i've also been wanting to make a down tq and uq, but i have all summer to get to those projects.

i get a lot of satisfaction making my own gear. i have enough free time for it since i don't have a wife that thinks i'm a nut... its just my family. i'm the first one in 2 generations to have a "sewing machine" and my whole family just couldn't figure out why it was ME that got one.

the only con that i have is now i look at how everything is made. i'm checking out all the seams on my clothes, bags, gear, just about everything that's made out of fabric all the while thinking "i can make this".

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    DIY all the way!

Pros: Choice of material, color, style, options. Generally cheaper to purchase materials, than pay for materials, plus someone else's labor and profit margin. Pride in using something you made. If you built it, you have the know-how to fix it. Leftover materials become seeds for future projects.

Cons: Need the equipment/tools to work the material. It takes time to produce quality DIY. Quality of the finished product is directly related to your skill level and patience. You are your own warrantee service center.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast