Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    I made my own hammock and it has been great. The sewing and seams are not perfect but it works. A hammock is a great first project because your just making a giant rectangle. I will say that I have fought and fought with the two sewing machines I got from my grandmother and just couldn't get them to sew worth a poop. I didn't know if it was me or the machines, then I borrowed one from my mother in law and it worked like a champ...so if your having lots of trouble it is probably the sewing machine. I found it was also a little hard to handle working on such a big long piece of fabric by myself but I'm sure there are some tricks for that.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    My first DIY ... a double layer 1.1 that I still use around the house or for day hikes (shown here with a friend from China checking it out)

And my second DIY ... a Jerry5. Design created by my buddy JerryW, fellow Gorge Rat ... has a fully retractable net, zips on both side ... and is my go-to hammock for most trips! Love it.

Pros:
    Everything ... fun to do, pride in using it

Cons:
    Can't really think of any ... well other than you know exactly where all your mistakes are and you can see them when others can't

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Oh yea! DIY is the way to go. I have made many a different items and love them all. Thread Injecting is one thing and then there is the whole alcohol stove side. My wife thinks Im crazy, hey she may be right
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have enjoyed the DIY stuff I have done. If nothing else, it makes me appreciate and value the wealth of talent we have with our cottage vendors here. I am totally humbled.

It also helps to understand the nuances of hammocks, tarps, suspensions, etc.

I have a real mixture of DIY and vendor purchased stuff. I also have made stuff for friends. Really solidifies a friendship.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think the only thing left that I haven't made myself is a backpack. What's more, I have zero desire to do so.

I enjoy the task because I always learn a new perspective when making gear. I also develop a healthy respect for our cottage folks that do that nonsense day in and day out. Pretty sure I'd be suicidal if I had to do that stuff all day long for more than a week...and that's without taking phone calls from people that meant to order it a month ago for a trip this weekend. Nope, not a job for me!

It connects me with one of my passions and that is always a good thing. In the end, 99% of the gear I carry was made by somebody else. I make gear just to have the experience and better understanding so that if something goes dreadfully wrong with my gear in the field, I have at least a chance of making a respectable repair.

Plus, I can drink and curse while running a thread injector and not have a finger shaken at me for such things. So there's that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Hey MountainMan, our wives will always think we're crazy

I've made my boys hammocks and bought my wife's. For some reason she rather have a store bought. You'd think she'd have more confidence in my building gear being an engineer and all.

As for me I'm still using my original Walmart hammock but have made everything else. Made my bugnet but see where I can make it better.

Currently working on a family tarp that's about 12' long.

Cons, don't see any other than learning a craft showing others what you've created.
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I do MYOG for multiple reasons. It's a creative outlet, it's a technical outlet (many engineering concepts involved. I'm educated as a MechE), it saves me money ($30 for a hammock with amsteel suspension, $40 for a superfly style tarp, etc..) [A friends mother had an old Pfaff she didn't use anymore - saved me money on a machine - beg around and you might find something!]

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Oh heck yeah! Both my hammocks are DIY as is my tarp, my top and bottom quilts, my stoves, my rain kilt and most of my stuff sacks.

Pros: Cost, pride of completion, customization.
    Cons: Time

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    What's a thread injector? Is it any kind of sewing machine or is it something special????

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    What's a thread injector? Is it any kind of sewing machine or is it something special????
    It's what manly-men call sewing machines.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast