Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WB and UQs

WB and UQs

How do you hang your UQ so that it stays under your feet when using the footbox? I was talking to someone who has one with a JRB Mt Washington UQ and he says the footbox keeps popping up out of the UQ.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I attach a mini biner to the loop on the footbox side that might be used for an HH hammock ( about a foot and a half from the footbox-corner of the UQ) and stretch a length of shock cord about 2 feet long over the ridgeline and back to the corner loop opposite the footbox side. This holds the under quilt up over the right side of the footbox.
    But this pulls the underquilt off center up on the head end making my left shoulder and arm chilly, so I have attached a loop on the underquilt right where the shock cord is that runs from the hammock pullouts, the one toward the foot side. I then sewed a loop directly under the place where the foot side bungee cord for the pullout is attached but up by the zipper, so I can attach the underquilt to the hammock right where the two zipper closures would meet if I was zipping them up.
    So as I lay in the hammock there is a loop right under the zipper and in line with the place where the foot side of the pullouts (there are two on each side of course) are attached.
    (I used to take the loop I sewed on my underquilt and bring it inside the hammock then close the zipper on it after putting a small object, like a rolled up piece or paper in the loop, closing the loop in the zipper. Then I had to hook it up every time I got into the hammock).
    With the loop now sewed to the hammock close to the zipper, it is always attached and is out of the way when the zipper is unzipped for getting in and out of the hammock.
    I bet this is as clear as mud, so in other words,
    with bungee cord, I am pulling the underquilt up and around the footbox toward the end of the hammock, hooking it to the left bottom CORNER of the underquilt (as I lay in the hammock) making extra tension on the underquilt to keep it up on the side of the footbox. This skews the foot side of the UQ to the right holding it under the footbox.
    Then on the other end of the underquilt, the head end) I am skewing it the opposite way with the loop on the hammock to make the UQ lay diagonally in the same way I am laying diagonally in the hammock. Rather than skewing it from the corner, I am skewing it from about the same place it is skewed on the footbox end.
    Whew! That's the best I can do at explaining what I do. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Yep, I guess you'd have to be there for that. I sorta understand what you mean. Not sure about the points of attachment though.

But, a darn good try!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    How do you hang your UQ so that it stays under your feet when using the footbox? I was talking to someone who has one with a JRB Mt Washington UQ and he says the footbox keeps popping up out of the UQ.
    This is partly the reason for this thread here DIY UQ straps
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    This is partly the reason for this thread here DIY UQ straps
    In that 2nd picture, I see the zipper there, so that is the left side of the hammock right? Do you have a pic showing the footbox with the AG (alligator clip) on it?

Thanks for pointing out that thread. I had seen it earlier but didn't put 2 and 3 together.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    In that 2nd picture, I see the zipper there, so that is the left side of the hammock right? Do you have a pic showing the footbox with the AG (alligator clip) on it?

Thanks for pointing out that thread. I had seen it earlier but didn't put 2 and 3 together.
    Yes, the left side( up by my shoulder in fact)
    No, no pic of the footbox.
    Unlike alot of my BB brothers (and sisters) I just use short UQs and a small pad for the footbox. Therefore, I have no footbox issues...
    But, I have witnessed issues with UQ covering the footbox. In this case, I would connect the 2 corners of the UQ by a alligator strap over the ridgeline (this would be similar to your cold winter set up on the KAQ)
    This may or may not work work for all UQ...depends on the size of the UQ. Assuming it is long enough, the alligator strap would hold it tightly over the footbox.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    That happened to me the first time I tried to use that combo. But later after some more fiddling with foot end tension, I got it to work with NO problems, staying in place over the foot box. I have not used that combo in a while now ( I have been using the WBUQ(torso plus leg pad) on the BB, and the MWUQ on the BMBH. So I'm not quite sure what I did, it might be in one of my previous MWUQ or BB testing posts. I think I might have some how biased the MWUQ suspension cords so that they were somehow more on the right side of the hammock, but I'm not sure. Also, I think I used my little mod of Grip Clips on each side about a foot from the end connected with thin shock cord going up over the BB RL. Not sure. But I do remember it ended up working perfectly, and I had a warm 18*F high wind chill night.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Like what BillyBob58 probably did is what I think I did. Been a while since I have hung in the BB. For whatever reason the head end of the quilt usually shifts the right shoulder side when I climb in. Easy to grab the quilt while you lay and pull it back under you. Stays put after repositioning.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I attached the JRB Hudson River with the JRB shock cord/biner attachments; the prussik on each end goes on the line against the knot in the amsteel. The end gather mod biner goes on the line below the knot at the foot end, usually riding down the line to the whipping. Haven't had an issue with the footbox or cold spots. Was comfy down to 34F last night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I really need to try out one of my JRB quilts in UQ mode. I've only ever used them as top quilts, but the Mt. Washington doesn't really lend itself to use as a topquilt. Gotta get the justification to buy one anyway.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast