Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    Started to make a recurve a few years ago. Made a bow press, got some 2" fire hose on e-bay, plugged one end and put an air valve on the other. Made a 5 foot long oven out of plywood and insulation. Made the handle out of cherrywood and maple. Ordered two strips of black and two strips of white fiberglass for the limbs. It was going to have maple,black,cherry and white limbs. Ordered the resin for the limbs, picked up some maple and cherry for the limbs........And there everything sits. 3 years now. Or is it 4?
    Maybe I'll put it with the wind generator I started to build last year.
    I would laugh...But.. Same for me.. Putting stuff off that is..
    I have a couple or so bundles of arrow blanks I have been making for a few years now..
    Some osage and a yew stave for self bows.. Will do when the mood strikes I guess..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Last year was my first for bow hunting. About to spend my first night in a hammock this weekend. One reason for trying hammock camping is for bow season this October. I figure instead of driving an hour to the farm I'm going to hunt each morning ill just hammock in the barn and be ready each morning. Happy hunting!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Some people laugh at me when they see me shoot because I shoot, three fingers under. Which means instead of placing the nock between my fingertips, the arrow is above my 3 fingers on the string. Some old timer taught me that years ago and it works great for me.
    Try it.
    I shoot three under with my recurve. With my English longbow I shoot split finger. I normally bowfish every spring, but the season ended before the rivers opened this year.
    I've taken a few grouse with my recurve, but have yet to get a deer. I'm one of the only people in the area I know of hunting with a trad bow, so getting tips and tricks isn't easy especially since I much prefer stalking. Everyone prefers sitting in a stand.
    Unfortunately, with my new job, right when hunting season starts our busy season starts. Makes it hard to even get out.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    Grad school is killing me! Reading this makes it a little worse. I LOVE TO HUNT! Don't have time right now for any kind of hunting let alone with a bow (out of practice). I have a stave in my workshop which is an attempt at making a long bow. Something I have never attempted, but due to school and that craziness that will have to wait. I am not sure if I can get out for rifle this year actually. Hope all goes well for those that do get out this coming season though.
    There is little better than a fine deer loin grilled to perfection!

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Started to make a recurve a few years ago. Made a bow press, got some 2" fire hose on e-bay, plugged one end and put an air valve on the other. Made a 5 foot long oven out of plywood and insulation. Made the handle out of cherrywood and maple. Ordered two strips of black and two strips of white fiberglass for the limbs. It was going to have maple,black,cherry and white limbs. Ordered the resin for the limbs, picked up some maple and cherry for the limbs........And there everything sits. 3 years now. Or is it 4?
    I hear that, I just finished the riser block for my first TD recurve and it's a battle to find time to work on it with all my other projects on the go.

Cool to see a bunch of other archers here, I've been shooting trad recurves and longbows for a number of years now. I sucked all of my friends into it, too - same thing with hammocks!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I wonder if a bow string could be made like a whoopiesling, one size fits all.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Just do it

Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    No hunting, maybe one day... Seems difficult to get into when your born and raised in the city and don't know a single person who hunts... Spot and stalk seems like it would be fun though.

I do like a compound bow though...
    I can't pitch straight, and I am no good without sights either... But fortunately I like gizmos and high performance stuff.

Just have a 2012 stinger w/HHA slider and fire a spot hogg friday night special, but it shoots reasonably well.
    I was in the same boat and didn't start hunting until I was 49. Oh and I was fat, outta shape and owned nothing. That was 50lbs ago...I'm 53 now and hunting is the single most challenging and rewarding thing I've undertaken (this from a guy who caught so many big fish he successfully began using 4 & 6lb test for tuna and other pelagics offshore). If you haven't begin your dirt nap yet, you can start hunting. Hire a guide for your first hunt and learn the basics...it'll save you months of learning the hard way. Then look for forums...met some great folks online.

I'm a destination hunter, I pick a species and then travel to wherever they are and hunt. It's much more difficult than hunting an area you know inside out but the hunts are so memorable. One year of beginning to hunt I was introduced to the bow and was instantly addicted. Only use a gun for predator hunting now but that too is change soon when I finish building my "shoot thru" run & gun blind. It'll hide the motion when I draw the bow and I have high hopes for it. Hunting eliminates stress. You cannot worry about bills or kids or work or anything else when you're in the field.

Hunting is bliss!

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9696/HOYT1.jpg

Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ Easton Axis 340 N-Fused arrows & Montec vented broadheads.

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I'm a guy that has hunted his whole life (I'm 47), I've backpacked most of my life too. However I've never put the two together. I'm hoping plans for an Elk hunt in 2014 work out and I can hang n hunt. You should check out Rokslide they have great backcountry hunt advise. I've occasionally mention hammocks but they don't get much love in that crowd. They are more into bivys. But I love my hammock rig and will never go to ground unless forced to by lack of trees. Anyhow nice to see more hunters using hammocks....welcome.....my 2 cents
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    I'm a guy that has hunted his whole life (I'm 47), I've backpacked most of my life too. However I've never put the two together. I'm hoping plans for an Elk hunt in 2014 work out and I can hang n hunt. You should check out Rokslide they have great backcountry hunt advise. I've occasionally mention hammocks but they don't get much love in that crowd. They are more into bivys. But I love my hammock rig and will never go to ground unless forced to by lack of trees. Anyhow nice to see more hunters using hammocks....welcome.....my 2 cents
    Yeah...I've seen the stink eye from other hunters. But I can't sleep on the ground. Six motorcycle crashes in my youth are taking their toll now. Plus I was bit by a diamond head when I was 12 and the scar it left on my thing is nothing compared to the one in left on my psyche. Hanging enables me to hunt and camp in places others can't and since I also carry a small rod with me when out for a week or longer, it's nice to be able to pitch the camp right on top of a trout hole. Nothing better than fresh trout for breakfast!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    As much as I would like to make my own bow, I have a feeling that it would have the same ending. So, the next best thing is to buy one.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast