Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

MadTree Core Hammock

I do not have It yet, but here are my initial thoughts why did I order it and to what will I try to use it for.

When I first saw MadTree Tarseer insulated hammock I did thought WOW! Ingenious! And they are here from Finland - Excellent!!!

Sadly it was too small for me. My height is 6,3 feet. And also it was quite expensive as there is hammock, TQ and UQ in same package. And I did not actually like the idea of three suspension points - more complicated than normal hammock. (Now they have an XL Tarseer)

Now some things have changed

Core hammock is cheap, so it is easy to buy it. That was probably the idea behind it. Cheap way to test the idea and usage of the odd shaped hammock. And then user will upgrade to Tarseer if happy. With MadTree campaign code which made the suspension free, it was no brainer to order the Core Hammock.

Core hammock is very light. I have not seen any lighter hammock with similar weight limit (265 lb.) and promise to be good even people with my height. They promise even 6,5 feet people will be happy. Core's weight is 8,6 oz. It is very light for what is promised. There is no weight for the suspension system, but that is probably not very much either. Suspension system must be ordered as an option, which is odd, but then again it works with Tarseer's also.

Few thoughts

After I made my order I have been comparing the Core hammock to different types of hammocks I have used or seen here in HF. I have come to the conclusion that the Core Hammock is actually a bridge hammock. And that makes it's weight even more astonishing. I did watch some videos about Bridge type hammocks. Mainly I checked out the WB Ridgerunner, it somehow reminds me about the Core hammock. It is quite shallow at the head end, it is curved similarly, narrower at the center area.

There is no insect netting - that is bad. My current plan is to test normal insect netting for ground sleeper sold almost in any outdoor store or even at big super markets. Bottom will be open and it must be hanged somewhere, but we will see how that goes. There will of course be a TQ or sleeping bag also. And I hope the netting can be jammed somewhere either between pad and hammock or pad and TQ.

My hopes

First of all I will try to use the Core hammock as a 'take it always with you'-hammock. It is so light and small it can be taken anywhere. Suspension system makes it stable and it seems it can be hanged almost as an hammock chair. View is great, so You do not fall inside hammock and it is not as antisocial as for example DB 72 11' with netting on. So it can be used when other people do not have hammocks with them.

Secondly what would that mean if Core is a bridge? I hope it will be the solution for CSS, so I could use narrower pad than with gathered end hammocks, so insulation would be lighter and smaller. Bridge hammocks should also make pad use very easy. Side sleeping should be easier too. And if it really is a bridge hammock, then the setup and packing it up is actually simpler that all those other bridges with crossbars.

Third idea would be to build an UL hammock system. With MadTree's Rae tarp there is no lighter system - at least I do not know it. Rae is 5,3 oz with suspension. So hammock + tarp would be only 14 oz. And after that the insulation of Your choice. Whole 'Summer system' could weight only about 30 oz. And it would be very easy to pack for example to a bicycle or kayak trip when there can be a shortage of room in packaging system and smaller packages are better.

Fourth idea is to support Finnish cottage vendor. I like to support people who have ideas and who make them happen. I have not met MadTree people - so I have no real relationship to them - I just hope they succeed with their business and I'm ready to but my money where my mouth is.

http://www.madtree.fi

http://www.madtree.fi/products/core.html

http://www.madtree.fi/products/rae.html

Last edited by voivalin; 07-01-2013 at 05:23.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    V -

Have you received the Core yet? I found it quite intriguing and interested in seeing your set up

Blue Skies!
    cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Yes I have

But it totally needs tree straps and it is different from all the hammocks I have ever used. I currently think there is no possibility to use pad with it, foot end is too curved under weight and hammock bed is small - so no room for pad and it probably would be very hard to get in to the hammock with the pad already inside it without pad popping out somewhere.

In conclusion I have not had the hardware or time to truly test it and so I can not write anything very informative about it.

One thing I can say though, it has got very small pack size. But I have been thinking changing the suspension lines to the webbing with cinch buckles and after that it would not be so small anymore. But as I already said - no true testing has happened.
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-01-2013 at 18:16.

Hammock
    MadTree Tarseer
    Tarp
    MadTree rae
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    But it totally needs tree straps and it is different from all the hammocks I have ever used. I currently think there is no possibility to use pad with it, foot end is too curved under weight and hammock bed is small - so no room for pad and it probably would be very hard to get in to the hammock with the pad already inside it without pad popping out somewhere.

In conclusion I have not had the hardware or time to truly test it and so I can not write anything very informative about it.

One thing I can say though, it has got very small pack size. But I have been thinking changing the suspension lines to the webbing with cinch buckles and after that it would not be so small anymore. But as I already said - no true testing has happened.
    I would suggest trying it out with a pad since we've never had any problems using a pad either with the Tarseer or the Core. With a pad it's probably easier to get in the Core from the side.

Here's a quick video showing the pad use with the Core:

Also I'm curious as to why you would consider separate Tree straps to be essential? It's Always nice to get feedback.
    Last edited by MadTree; 08-02-2013 at 08:13.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by MadTree View Post
    Also I'm curious as to why you would consider separate Tree straps to be essential? It's Always nice to get feedback.
    Maybe You skinny guys do not need them, but load the hammock with a 105 kg (220 lbs) human climbing inside the hammock and tree bark will be damaged.

I tested with four different kind of trees before I stopped testing.

Even Hennessy with it's original 5 mm rope recommends the use of tree straps.
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-02-2013 at 09:38.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    You know, it would be easy to mod almost any bridge hammock to hang like this on 3 or 4 trees. Doing so would get rid of one of the biggest weight items, the spreader bar. The manual shows a spreaderbar on the head end for 2 tree hanging, but I didn't notice a weight for it and you don't need it if you use a fallen branch.

One issue I suspect this hammock will have is that it will compress your TQ foot insulation from the sides. I get a little bit of this in my DIY bridge where my feet are in the suspension triangle. Based on trying different length foot end spreader bars, I also suspect the hip/butt squeeze would be more of an issue than in the shoulders. For me that has been the biggest issue with bridges.

I like the concept and can't wait to see others reviews after they have slept a few nights in it.
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I would suggest trying it out with a pad since we've never had any problems using a pad either with the Tarseer or the Core. With a pad it's probably easier to get in the Core from the side.

Here's a quick video showing the pad use with the Core:

Looks comfortable at first glance, but I'd like to know how tall this occupant is and the length of the Core hammock in the video. Given reports of the Tarseer being way too short for many people, I'm surprised that you would publish something that shows (to my eye) a hammock that is a foot shorter than the occupant would find comfortable for a night's sleep.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

MadTree Core Hammock

It also would need a tarp of a different design. It would easy enough to do, but definitely couldn't bring your MacCat and expect to hang it when you are hooked to 3 trees.
    Ed

Hammock
    MadTree Tarseer
    Tarp
    MadTree rae
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Looks comfortable at first glance, but I'd like to know how tall this occupant is and the length of the Core hammock in the video. Given reports of the Tarseer being way too short for many people, I'm surprised that you would publish something that shows (to my eye) a hammock that is a foot shorter than the occupant would find comfortable for a night's sleep.
    That particular hammock is a pre production prototype that we had lying around and used for the on the fly demoshoot of the pad use. It is actually around 15-20cm shorter than the Core hammocks we sell. Elias in the video is a pretty tall guy (well above average, don't know exactly how tall) and he's slept some very comfortable nights in it and as I said that's even shorter than the hammocks we sell.

At 215 cm The Core is actually pretty much as long as the XL model of our Tarseer hammock. You can find all the specs at: http://www.madtree.fi/products/core.html

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    That particular hammock is a pre production prototype that we had lying around and used for the on the fly demoshoot of the pad use. It is actually around 15-20cm shorter than the Core hammocks we sell. Elias in the video is a pretty tall guy (well above average, don't know exactly how tall) and he's slept some very comfortable nights in it and as I said that's even shorter than the hammocks we sell.

At 215 cm The Core is actually pretty much as long as the XL model of our Tarseer hammock. You can find all the specs at: http://www.madtree.fi/products/core.html
    Thanks. You've been very responsive to questions and criticisms here as your products develop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast