Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation

Recommendation

My 11 year-old has a birthday this Fall and would like a hammock. I have just learned about the Dream hammocks and I am intrigued by the site. I'm looking for recommendations between two different scenarios for him:
    1. Roaming gnome: I perceive the advantages of having a complete integrated bug net and hammock. Perceived disadvantage: integrated system subjected to the abuse by a youth. Can the integrated bug net be repaired on the Roaming gnome? Does anyone know if Dream Hammocks offers repair services in the event of damage?
    2. Free bird with add-on bug net. Perceived advantage is the modular bug net could be replaced in the event of damage. Perceived disadvantages: having to pack/carry two separate items, more steps to set-up, etc.

Also, which suspension (cinch buckle or whoopie slings) do you think would be easier and more robust for an eleven year-old?
    Thanks in advance

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Recommendation

I am in the process of making hammocks and Fronkey style bugnets for my 8 girls. The item I'm afraid will take the damage is the bugnet. I think if he is taught to be careful with an integrated bugnet, he could avoid damaging it, however you can best judge if he is mature enough to be gentle with his gear. As for avoiding having a second step, once the bugnet is put on the hammock, it can stay on. Just stuff the hammock with the bugnet still on right into the stuff sack. That is what I have done with mine and it works great. I plan for my girls hammocks to be stored the same way.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    ENO- DN
    Tarp
    ENO- Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Exped/-10 pad, mss
    Suspension
    ENO- Atlas
    if your kid has a tent of there own. how are they with it? how long did it last? my nephew is 11yrs and he is a bull in a china shop! i would get him a onelink(single nest $209.00) from eno, like my self. if it works out- go for some thing better in a year or two. thats what i plan on doing or i may d.i.y. a smig cheaper and you get what you want. D.I.Y. Gear Supply is a place you may want to check out. hope this helps! good luck with what path you take. the roaming gnome's bug net is removable as well. it states it in the description.
    Not all who wander, are lost!!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Maybe order a couple tablecloths here
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

Then order enough Amsteel to make whoopie slings and ridgelines from Redden Marine or one of the vendors on the forum.

Or easier yet
    http://www.buttinasling.com/notahakit.html

With that done the two of you have an afternoons project.....and spend a little quality time together

My kids, about the same age as yours, had fun doing this. And they get to sleep in "their" hammock

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't know if the bug net is much more prone to damage than the hammock itself. I would *assume* that a non-integrated net might be easier ripped because you can get out of the hammock without getting out of the bug net. With an integrated bug net, it's not possible to get out without opening the zipper first. Hope you understand what I mean.

I would think that if you are rough enough to damage the integrated bug net, you would be rough enough to damage the fabric as well. For example by letting the hammock come in contact with the floor, packing carelessly, carrying pointy/sharp things in your pockets etc.

Only you can judge how careful your son is going to be. But my instinct would be to go with something cheaper now, and once he has proven he can take care and/or is a bit older, go for the more expensive bling stuff

I never used a TED-style bugnet, but those look idiot-proof. BIAS makes a bottom entry bug net, I think, which might be an idea as well. Plus a DIY hammock, or something cheap like an ENO.

I have a 10 yr. old grandson, and I will trust him with any of my gear, he is all boy, but understands taking care of gear. A really good set up will give your son no reason not to like this type of adventure, and quite possibly make him love it.

Re: Recommendation

Would feel bad turning someone away from dream hammock, while I dont have mine in hand (yet...) All my dealings with Randy have been superb. His reputation is top notch and with the combination of his craftsmanship and wide range or fabric options and customization he can definitely make you one or the more durable hammocks you can find if that is your goal.

However, I can not see ANY hammock having a good enough chance of withstanding kid duty to not be considered disposable.
    I also cant see a kid really appreciating the finer points of a custom hammock like randy makes.

Maybe my ADD talking, but at 11 I think I would be just as happy with a table cloth hammock as anything else, so given the potential for damage I would keep it cheap.

But again, if money isnt an issue and you want to spoil the little guy I dont think you could find a better chance of success then with dream hammock... After all what more does duribility take then quality materials, design and workmanship... And he seems to have all that in spades, just discuss your goals with him ahead of time in a call or email.

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Re: suspension, IMHO the webbing + cinch buckle is probably more "foolproof"... Whoopies need to be seated properly on your marlin spike hitch (MSH)+toggles... though you could use dutch buckles instead of toggles+MSH for something more secure, with the Whoopie. If your 11 year old is fooling around with friends and the whoopie/toggle/MSH slips, he's on the ground.. less chance of that with the webbing, IMHO.

That said, my 11 year old's hammock has whoopies and toggles, he's pretty responsible and I've emphasized how to make sure he hangs it right and checks it regularly.. He had fun making whoopies with me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think a hammock that's easy to set up will get less wear and tear, so I'd go with the Roaming Gnome and straps.

Thanks

Thank you for all of the feedback/suggestions. I find making the hammock intriguing, but I think I'm going to purchase his first one. I realize one of my character flaws is obsessive compulsiveness and I'd like to see him use the hammock before he graduates. I'm probably leaning towards the Roaming Gnome. Just have to decide on color and straps now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast